Apple G5 Dual vs Server style PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Papa Shank, May 12, 2005.

1. Papa Shank macrumors newbie

May 7, 2005
    Okay here's the deal, I was looking at powerbooks but I've decided that I've had enough of laptops for a while and I'd rather put the money into something that I will be able to get some great performance from.

So I've got a choice of G5 Dual and upgrade it or build my own Dual processor PC. Something I'm not sure about is can I do an aftermarket upgrade of the G5s processors or is it not possible like other G5 apples?

If it was possible I'd just go the PC route with it's upgradablity and use Tiger OS but that's not a possibility(Although I could use mods to give windows an apple theme I suppose).

So, I'm looking for opinions and whether you think I should side with apple's software or the pc's upgradability. Thanks for any help.
  2. drison macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2005

I personally would go with the Apple. I had also considered this very same thing and while I might be able to beat the price of the apple building my own dual opteron, it would be only marginally so and this way I get MacOSX which is my primary reason for switching. Also look into the Apple refurbs. You can get some very good deals on DP G5's.

-Dave :)
  3. javiercr macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2005
    what do you want it for?

If you want MacOX get a Mac, if you want Windows get a PC, if you don't care, then get a PC becuase it's going to be cheaper. If you want to use Linux you can use either but then again a PC is cheaper.

You say you want a 'server' PC, why do you want a server? one of the few differences of a server is that it will have registered memory. I have a dual PIII 700Mhz with 512Mb that cost me $100 on ebay as a server, it's hidden and acts as a file server and sometimes I send it batches of RAW files to convert to JPGs or Tiff when I don't want to have my powerbook busy with that. That old and cheap computer has spare power for it's funtion, but for a computer to really have in front of you and use all the time I much perfer MacOSX.

Macs are pretty and cool or whatever but the reason to get a mac should be MacOX and the phylosophy of the mac interface.
  4. Papa Shank thread starter macrumors newbie

May 7, 2005
    well the only reason I'm drawn to the G5 dual is because of the OS, I've found a place that are doing a reasonable price on a dual G5 1.8, I'm just wondering if the processor is upgradable aftermarket at all? Either way I think I'll be going with the Dual G5
  5. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    it's possible to upgrade the cpu in a g5 but no company currently offers them, they probably will in the future i know for a fact that sonnet was working on them a while back

for a dual 1.8GHz opteron specced out through newegg:

cpu's 2x 1.8GHz opterons $408
    motherboard msi dual socket 940 mobo $209
    ram pair of 512MB sticks $99
    decent case of your choice $50
    strong 620w psu $180
    160GB HD $80
    dvd burner $50
    x800XL $316

that beatz the g5 in a couple of points but if your building a rig of this quality that is what you would go for and all told it comes to about $1400 and thats assuming you pirate windows. is the price difference to a g5 worth mac os x thats what you have to decide
  6. Papa Shank thread starter macrumors newbie

May 7, 2005