Apple G5 is the XBox2 Dev Kit???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lewdvig, Feb 2, 2004.

1. neonart macrumors 65816

Sep 4, 2002
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    If it means more and better ports to the Mac that's freakin' great!
    I can see Xbox2 and Mac Games coming out closer together.
  2. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    I am seriously doubting the credibility of this story. Another story much like the one you posted said that the processors will be dual core and capable of running two threads at once. For one, the processor cost alone would be very high. Three high-end processors will not be cheap and the consoles are already money losers. This one will really be a money loser.
  3. lewdvig thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    South Pole
    I think the story is BS. I just posted it for our amusement.

There is no way that a 2005 console will pack three of IBM's finest chips and not cost $2000 - in fact it would be a bargain at this price. They are saying it will be three dual core 976s. Yeah right. 976s will probably have 120 million transistors and will be brand new when this thing launches. Hardly console material. also has this story. TeamXBox is as reliable as

It would be cool though. It doesn't mean games would come out faster for the Mac though. Back in the day, Origin made it's games on Amiga 3000 computers but only published them for DOS PCs. When Wing Commander finally came out on the Amiga it was already quite old.

Maybe it will use three of the next gen G3s. That is appliance grade/level silicon.

There is no way it will use a 250 million transistor GPU like the R500. An embedded frame buffer big enough for HDTV - that is stupid.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    They could even be the 405/440 PPCs...

The PPC970 is still a rather large chip (about as big as the current 7457).

Tossing in a lot more cores and cache on the 970 would make the thing rather large and expensive.

The PPC405/440 line would make a bit more sense, but the rumor mongers don't buy it -- and prefer the 970.

Even though IBM's built a supercomputer unit with the PPC440.
  5. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't doubt that they'll be using IBM chips. Besides, even though microsoft wants to keep the costs down, they have the capital to sell these things at a loss just to pick up even more marketshare.

Either way, console games being developed for a high end PPC processor could be a good thing (although aren't the current PlayStation and the Game Cube already using PowerPC chips?), but I don't know if we'll see more Mac games because of it...
  6. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa