Apple Gains Marketshare in Broadcast Market

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Trendwatch published a "Fast Fact" today indicating that Apple's marketshare is up in the broadcast market:
    This is reportedly 8% up from just one year ago.

With a rush of well received new products over the past few years, Apple has certainly gained mindshare. Marketshare may be following. In September it was reported that Apple had gained 2 Percentage Points in laptops, and there's been speculation that Apple may make strides in Education this year.

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors newbie

IMO, the higher Apple's market share the better. I also hope the G5 brings more games to the mac as with higher market share.

4. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This is great. Apple may not be able to compete in the low end consumer market, but it can be a major player in markets that need quality. These kind of trends in specific markets are not only good in and of themselves, but help build an overall sense that the mac is back.

5. macrumors 68040

Grimace

if Apple needs to go top-down to gain marketshare - so be it. Sticker price will always keep them from entering at the lowest market.

6. macrumors regular

BOOMBA

I hope to see a price break when the G5s are established at 90nm in volume. Maybe then market share will come a back to a more reasonable level.

7. bishopduke, Jan 7, 2004
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

macrumors member

8. macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Where I work we are looking to replace our Avids & media 100 & Tape suites with FCP with media on a server at DV quality, the server will also be used to transmit from. :)

9. macrumors regular

BOOMBA

You grew up on Final Cut Pro?
    How old are you?
    10?

10. macrumors 68030

8% to 26% ... in one year?!?

Wow!

That's awesome!

It's surprising to begin with that >18% of all broadcast organizations bought new hardware for their primary editing systems in the past year ... Is this kind of turnover of equipment anywhere within the realm of normalcy in that industry?

11. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

no no, apple is "up 8%". Not "up from 8%." Still remarkable though.

12. macrumors regular

BOOMBA

no, it is UP 8% from last year, so it WAS at 18%.

13. macrumors 65816

no thats up 8%
    18% to 26%

14. macrumors regular

At the very bottom Apple does not offer products which use end of line components. Mid range the Apple line is about $100-150 more expensive and at the high end Apple is as much as $1000 cheaper.

A dual 2 Ghz G5 ($2990)is alot cheaper than a dual Xenon 3.2 Ghz Dell ($4026) system.

Does anyone ever notice that the Centrino mobile chip at 1.4Ghz is double the price of a P4 2.8 Ghz chip in portables.
    Again it shows that Ghz is not the true meaasure of performance.

But you have to admire the Dell marketing machine. Put the low loss leaders to suck you in and watch the prices jump with all the incremental upgrades. It is also difficult to navigate the dell website and find what you really want. The discounts are only availabe on machines no real users wants to buy.

15. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I guess we may start seeing Apple's overall market share getting above 5% this year, with all the new pro apps and cost-saving solutions, G5 xserves and the new aggressive pricing on iBooks and PowerBooks.

Here's hoping!

16. macrumors member

That would be a HUGE feat! A tough fight to gain that much this year. I'm right there with ya.:cool:

17. macrumors member

El Tritoma

% increase math

If the writer of the article knew what they were doing, then Apple's share increased from 24.07% to 26%. This is an 8% increase. If they had said an eight percentage point increase, then that would mean it had been 18% before.:)

18. macrumors regular

I'm a tv writer and film director in LA. Most network television productions use Mac in the office and Avids in editing. While the basic cable shows I have worked on all use Final Cut on dual G4s (Switching to G5s) Same goes with most of the sound people I know- they all use Macs.

Whenever I take a new job, I always ask and make sure that the writing staff is on Macs- I had to use Windows on a Fox show I did- and it was beyond a pain.

19. macrumors member

Re: % increase math

The writer said this was up 8%, which I think means last year it was 18%. Otherwise, I think it was say an increase of 8%. I think.

20. macrumors 6502

This is great! So is that mean that apple has bigger market share than the 5%. What is their over all market share?

21. macrumors member

El Tritoma

Not to pound a dead horse, but percentage increases are multiplicative increases, not additive increases. A 50% increase, for example, means that the new value is 1.5 times bigger than the old value. Very few things, except for Apple's market share:p go ever go up 50% if it were an additive increase.:)

22. macrumors member

Yeah, basically you multiple the starting fiture by the increase to get the new figure. E.G. 100 increased by 10% is 100 x .10 = 110.

Therefore 24.07% x .08 = 25.99. or 26%

23. macrumors member

Lies, damn lies and statistics

From my experiece when the media talk about a shift of 8% they mean 8% of the total they are talking about - thus for Apple their share has risen from 18% to 26%, which is pretty good.

Generally speaking an increase in market share is good news, but only if the company is making money out of doing so! There are too many cases in all sorts of industires where market share is 'bought' by aggressive discounting or selling and cost (or below!!).

All these market share gains seem to be making stuff all difference to Apple'e shareholders who are still seeing the vast majority of the net earnings of the company coming from interest earnt on the cash pile. And if you are wondering broker analysts are not forecasting a bog jump in profits over the next year or so.

24. macrumors 6502

Apple isn't going to hit 40%. There is an opportunity for significant growth over the next few years, however because of the developing relationship with IBM. It is going to take another year for the full line to move to the G5 (and the PM to the 980) and that is when things are really going to be interesting.

A year from now the G5 (or G6) will be over 3 Gig and outperforming the Intel world - gonna drive some people nuts. The key, however, will be the price/performance at the lower end where volume is. There will not be a $499 headless iMac, but I believe that there will be some options that blow the competition away.

If IBM keeps developing chips at the same rate I would guess a 10% market share is possible in 2 - 3 years and that is going to have a significant impact on the industry.

25. macrumors member

That's not the case with Apple. They consistently report very good margins on their products sold (at least with desktops and laptops...I don't know about their iPods). Off the top of my head (or I should say pulling out of my butt) I think it's around 23%.:D