Apple Gaming Device...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by eclipse525, Jan 12, 2004.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Now, with the gaming industry as big as it is, do you think Apple should venture into this area by building a device similar to the 'N-Gauge" or "Nintendo's GameBoy"? Do you think it would be best to make a stand alone device, a iPod Hybrid device OR form an alliance with Sony, Nintendo, etc. and make one that's compatible. Gaming is Huge and it's a close second to moble music. What do you think?

~e

2. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

If they did something like that it would be a PDA. PDAs play games. And an Apple PDA would be one of the best ones on the market. The newton is still cool. I have a messagepad 2100 I got off eBay.

However, I still use my palm IIIxe with palm keyboard, the newton's cool, but kinda big. (4.5 in X 8 in X 1 in)

Check out the iWalk rumor thing on spymac. Here is a picture from the quicktime movies.

Attached Files:

3. nolem macrumors member

I think apple needs to focus on moblie computing which of course includes gaming.(pwrbk g5) Thats where the future is in the industry, having power while being mobile.

4. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

i personally dont think they should. PS2 is very well established and has the upper hand to any gaming system out there. xbox surprised me on how succesful their system is but its due to the fact that they spend the most on advertisement, by far which in the end probably isnt as profitable as apples expectations. also people ought to know that any game available on xbox is also out on PC. unless apple develops some sort of better technology, they sholdnt join the gaming industry. maybe a dvd game console?

5. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I think apple could make some money, not to mention some waves, in the gaming arena. They may shock everyone and come out with the first 256-bit console at WWDC 04, but I seriously doubt it.

One interesting note, GMR magazine has stated that the neXtbox (xbox 2) will use a G5 processor. In other words, the neXtbox is a MAC!!! (capitalized for emphasis) That should quiet some of the "mac's suck for gaming" propaganda.

6. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Interesting how they chose "neXt" since that was Steve Job's in-between gig before he came back to Apple. Hrm. And yes, its been known that the PPC970 would be powering the XBox2 for quite some time.

As its been stated several times here at MacRumors, its doubtful that Apple will ever again make a home game system. They tried with Pippin, and probably wont ever again.

Whats the Pippin?

7. nolem macrumors member

I wonder if they will beable to make it mod-proof,
    :D
    my guess is no

8. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Not to get techinical BUT it's not the G5 that makes a Mac. It's OS X. Besides, it's the same general chip but different architecture.

~e

9. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I agree, but this has the possibility to send a message to the gaming world that mac processors are ideal for gaming.

Look at what the xbox did with a celeron, and try to imagine what it could do with a G5. Should be rather impressive.

10. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I think MS made the right choice for going with the IBM970 chip. It is sort of an affirmation that Apple is heading in the right direction. XBox2 is going to be an amazing machine. I use a PS2 now but who knows I might have to get that XBox2, if and when it comes out. It's easily a year or two away. Remember so much can happen within that time span. Hmmm....interesting to see what will develop.

~e

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

12. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

hope the XB2 uses BluRay disks.

XB Head Designer: Lets see then burn THIS!
    Sweaty Pig: muahahaahahahaha - DOMINATION

13. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

As some have said....

PS- Which logo is cooler, the Pippin logo or the NeXT logo?