Apple, Get Your S**t Together

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DanTekGeek, Feb 23, 2005.

1. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

I have spent the entire afternoon trying to order my Powerbook. With local tax, the total should come to $2374.72 ($2279 + 4.2%). However, I live in an un-incorporated county, so I do not pay city or county tax, only state tax (4.2%). But, my shipping adress triggers the Apple store to charge me the tax rate for the county in which my post office sits (7.8%). The sales representative told me that I would be charged the correct tax, but the estimated total, the total that would determine weather or not my credit card charge clears, would be caclulated using the 7.8% tax. The available balance on my card is $2477, which is very close to the price I should be paying. When I go to check out from the Apple store, I am quoted $2457.90 ($2279 + 7.8%). I click purchase, and my card is denied. I get the same result after multiple tries. I call my card company, who tell me that Apple has been trying to charge $2494. How can this be? Well, not only does Apple not seem to be able to caclulate the right tax, but they make up for that by adding an extra 1.8% to every purchase to make sure that funds are available. This is so that because they are not certain of tax, they do not under-quote, and have the customer not be able to pay. I have been saving up for this thing for over 6 months. I would go to the local Apple store, but this will be a BTO machine. One would think that one of the largest computer companies in the world would be able to get something as simple as sales tax correct.

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

well, I know this wasn't your point, but won't your CC company allow you a little breathing room if you explain it to them. They are usually pretty flexible about that kind of stuff.

That solves the practical part, you can deal with the principle of the matter with Apple at your leisure...

3. DanTekGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

hopefully, thats what I'm trying to do....

(waits on hold)

la la la....elevator music..

4. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I have a similar situation. My sales tax should be 6.25% with no city tax (an extra 2%). When Apple puts a hold on my credit card, they issue the hold at 8.25% but when they charge the card, they charge it at 6.25%. I can only assume they issue the hold before they check to see what your actual tax should be. In most cases this isn't a problem.

5. DanTekGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

Its shameful that a multi-national corporation cant get my tax right, when I have bought stuff from mom-and-pop outfits online who were able to do just that.

6. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I live near Oregon, so I just go down to the Portland Apple Store and pay no tax. :p

7. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

When I bought my Tibook from apple.com in 02, it took 2 calls from my credit card company to verify that it was legit. If you are +/- $100 on your card, don't blame Apple, call them and explain the situation, they would love to get you deeper in debt!

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I live in Portland, so it is even easier for me...muhwahahahahahahaha...(although I am leaving to go back to Texas soon.)

Life's a trade-off. Higher taxes, more sun (and more jobs). I'll be taking a new macmini with me btw.

9. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

The best thing about Washington is we have no state income tax, but we have you guys to go down to and get all our goods from. Either way, the NW rules.

Lee Tom

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

where are you in Washington? I went to school in Olympia. Lived in Seattle for a while. Broke down in Chehalis.

We get hammered with taxes here, btw. Federal, State and County. Arrgh.

No state tax in Texas, though...

11. Jsmit macrumors regular

When I ordered my PowerBook, they made sevral temporary charges on my credit card. I believe at one point they had twice the value of the PowerBook + HP Printer charged. I had a lot of breathing room in my account so I just waited andit all sorted itself properly.

I hope your situation works out too.

On the subject of Apple messing up, the Apple Store caalled me to tell me the replacement keyboard for my PB was in. I drive the hour to the store, wait in line at the genius for an hour, have the genius take my computer for half an hour to find out that Apple had shipped them a regular keyboard, not PB keyboard. Okay my venting is now done too.

Good luck.

12. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Instead of ordering online, have you tried doing a phone order, that way you can make sure the amount is correct with the person you are talking to.

13. vtprinz macrumors 6502

When have taxes ever been simple? For anyone?

Taxes change all the time, and vary incredibly from place to place. I don't think it's a matter of Apple being incapable or lazy, but really I think it's in their best interest to follow the procedures they do. Obviously they get the tax right when they take the money, but in order to control for tax differences and fluctuations, they want to make sure that, in case taxes are higher than expected, you'll be able to afford it.

Apple makes a LOT of online sales everyday, to people all over the world. Keeping track of every little county for tax purposes could slow down the process.

(then again, I may be pulling this out of my ass :D )

14. DanTekGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I've been doing all afternoon. I just got off the phone again. Apple says no-go on changing any of their policies. I'm off to plead my case to mastercard to get them to accept a 15 buck overcharge that they wont even be paying.

15. Jsmit macrumors regular

It will take a couple days, but you should be able to pay the credit company a couple hundred dollars. They will then credit your account, making enough room for the extra money on the transaction. You might be able to do this on the phone, assuming you have extra money in you bank account.

16. Southbridge macrumors regular

Southbridge

I think the tax depends more on where the nearest apple store in your state is more than where you're living... because thats why they have to charge tax on their online sales: basically since they have a brick and mortar store in that state unlike say like a company like Dell which purely sells online, then Apple has to pay the taxes for that state...

17. DanTekGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

not exactly.

No matter where you are, you are charged the tax you would pay if you had an apple store next door.

18. Jsmit macrumors regular

Tax is based on the shipping address. Since Apple is considered to have a national presence, they must charge tax every where. You also can not charge someone for a tax they don't have to pay. Some states do not have an Apple Store but their citizens still have to pay the appropriate local taxes (i.e. those people who live in Maine and Vermont who live closest to the New Hampshire store where there is no sales tax still must pay their respected local taxes).

19. DanTekGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

20. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I believe this is correct: For large purchases they(many companies) often authorize a certain percentage over the purchase price to be sure there will be enough credit there when the charge goes through- kind of the opposite of what gas companies do. When you look at an online credit card statement you might see a temporary authorization by a gas company for a dollar- then when the actual charge goes through it is for the correct amount.

If you credit card company won't authorize the extra amount plus some breathing room I would think you might want to think twice of doing it. Also, I don't know the answer to this but if you charge a card up to the limit when interest is added and you go over the limit is there an over limit fee? (maybe you were going to pay off on the first bill- I don't know.) anyway, usually cc companies will up the limit if your credit rating is decent- if it isn't you might think twice about the purchase.

Good luck to you!

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

So I guess the only thing that is certain in life is death, eh?

22. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, if this was me (I only WISH I could afford to buy another Powerbook :D ) I would go online with my banking and make a bill payment of maybe $50, and that would open up my account limit enough.

As it is, I'm going to be calling the CC company to get them to bring DOWN my credit limit. They'd been upping and upping it until one day I found myself with almost $10,000 limit on my Mastercard. I definitely won't ever need that much, and by asking them to drop it down to about $5000 it will help me pay down the debt I still owe... in essence, I haven't paid for MY Powerbook yet... *sigh*

23. DanTekGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm planning on paying most of the cc bill right away. I've paid more off the card, so when the transfer goes through, I should be cool!

Now...I just need iWork and some RAM...I'm thinking of buying from crucial. yes? no?

24. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Crucial is usually a safe bet. They've been good at ensuring their RAM works properly with Apple computers, and have a lifetime guarantee. Their prices are also usually competitive with other vendors.

Have fun with your new computer. :D

25. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

stop complaining and just call them. Always better to talk to someone.