Apple getting recognised in the UK [finally]

Discussion in 'Community' started by asif3, May 2, 2004.

1. asif3 macrumors member

Oct 21, 2003
    London, UK.

For a long time, the UK has been ignorant of Apple. This is partly becuase of Apple's lack of marketing here, amongst other things.

Anyway, I think the iPod is changing that. A couple of examples are:

i) I was listening to Capital FM (One of Londons top radio stations) at around midnight on friday and they played channel surfing (by feature cast). At the end of the song, the DJ said "Loads of you and especially iPod fans will recognise that song from the latest Apple iPod Adverts'. Linking an advert to a song doesnt happen much, but that thought stuck in my mind.

ii) Simply searching the BBC website will display a LARGE number of iPod articles. Theres even some about how all the little girls cant wait till the pink ones come out.

iii) Posh & becks amongst other celebs have showed their support for it.

I stick reckon that some more advertising wouldnt go amiss though. Maybe some billboard ads or something? Or even some cool iPod t-shirts. I bet loads of people would love to have a tshirt with one of the cool dancers on it. :D

/anyway, enough of my!
  2. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm not so sure about the UK being ignorant of Apple, they've been voted ones of the 'coolest' brands in the UK yearly since the iMac first raised the idea that computers could be cool, desirable and not merely seen as office devices back in '98. The majority of people I know own some kind of Mac, and everyone I know has heard of Apple for example.

Apple do advertise though, although it's generally only around the launch period of a product and usually on Ch4, but they could really do with a consistent campaign broadcast over the duration of a products life cycle.

As for printed ad's, well the broadsheets get a fair share of ad's in their supplements and particularly at weekends, I've seen pretty much the whole range of products advertised.

I think that I've also seen Adshel iPod ads on bus shelters and also on escalators on the Underground.

What Apple really needs to push is an ad that demonstrates and focuses on OSX's all round superiority when it comes to ease of use and functionality, 5x 30 second slots (ease of use, simplicity, compatibility, security and the digital hub strategy) That's what they really need to be doing, people love the style of the machines, but are frightened of switching to a different OS, and that's a problem that Apple needs to address to help win people over.

As for people like Beckham and Kylie etc being snapped wearing an iPod, that is priceless advertising that even the most effective of campaigns would be unable to match.