Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Ok, so I like to check out the offerings on eBay and noticed the following auction just listed with a Buy it Now of $189.

Within seconds of being listed I refreshed the page and saw it had been purchased.

Do you honestly believe the buyer is going to receive an Apple gift card for the iPhone5 or is this some type of scam I am unaware of?

(Checking other closed auctions with the same seller I noticed he has sold similar gift cards for an iPad mini along with an a gift card for an iPod Nano (although that BIN didn't sell).

First I've seen this so wanted to run it by the members here at MacRumors.

Auction Link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140890268924?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
shoutout to the suggestion selling though, a black iPhone with the white iPhone box and EU adapter WITH a bad esn for Verizon. Who would buy that???

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It clearly states that:
THIS AUCTION IS FOR A GIFT CARD TO A RETAIL APPLE STORE OR APPLE.COM.
So all he's selling is an apple gift card for $189.
You can buy anything you want with that gift card.
That's all.
Dont get confused.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
It clearly states that:
THIS AUCTION IS FOR A GIFT CARD TO A RETAIL APPLE STORE OR APPLE.COM.
So all he's selling is an apple gift card for $189.
You can buy anything you want with that gift card.
That's all.
Dont get confused that you'll get a full priced i5 for $189.

It's probably $200 actually. But yes. Thanks for clearing it up

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
True.
And then with taxes and such you will have to kick in some more money out of pocket.
Just a good way to advertise selling apple gift cards.
Hope people understand and dont think they will get one full price with no subsidy for $189:D

Not to mention it's a sure way to ruin your seller feedback score.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Lol :D
I hear you.
You know noone reads descriptions or asks questions.
They will automaticly assume they're getting an iphone 5 for $189.
What a deal:D

I am confused.

When I read it I thought it was an iPhone 5 gift card. So the guy paid 189 and got an iPhone 5....

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I love how nobody thought it would be easier to buy it from the store than to buy a gift card, wait a few days for shipment, THEN go to the store to use the same amount of money to buy a phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Ok, so here's the deal. I actually purchased the gift card.
I know. . . I know... "if it's too good to be true..."

I've been in contact with the seller and truly, it will be interesting to see what type of gift card this is.

(I think the member here who stated it is probably for a subsidized iP5 is correct. Either way, I have some shopping to do and if it is a generic $200. gift card won't be super unhappy.)

Either way, even if the result embarrasses me, I'll update this thread when the card arrives.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Ok, so here's the deal. I actually purchased the gift card.
I know. . . I know... "if it's too good to be true..."

I've been in contact with the seller and truly, it will be interesting to see what type of gift card this is.

(I think the member here who stated it is probably for a subsidized iP5 is correct. Either way, I have some shopping to do and if it is a generic $200. gift card won't be super unhappy.)

Either way, even if the result embarrasses me, I'll update this thread when the card arrives.

Well the seller would have to be crazy to sell a voucher or gift card worth the price of the 16GB iPhone 5 (that's $649 plus tax) for only $189. So the assumption should be it's for $199 (price of subsidized 16GB iPhone 5). If that's the case, the worst (apart from the seller using the gift card or not sending one) case is you'll end up with a $199 gift card that you paid $189 for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.