Apple gives identity thieves a way in

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, May 16, 2005.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

You still have to run the widget, even after it's installed. This has been discussed at length in this thread.

I can see why people would be concerned, however.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i think you should have searched first, what are the odds something this significant isn't already being discussed.

4. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Sorry, just happened to get caught on this one. Very happy to read that Apple is on top of the auto download function and has the fix with 10.4.1. The article just gives another perspective. Hopefully Hiawatha Bray will update his story now that the fix exists.

5. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

6. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Maybe I am a screwball but before 10.4.1 I couldn't get widgets to run automatically. Was there something wrong with what I was doing? The only way I could get widgets to run was to put them into my Library... or is that the normal way?

7. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

They could NEVER run automatically, they were able to install automatically, which is almost as bad...

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    That's the normal way and as said above, you still had to drag them out.

The problem was that if you'd left Safari to automatically open 'safe' files, it could install a widget without telling you it had done so which mean the first the user would know was when they went to Dashboard and saw the shiny new widget icon (or shiny old icon since it could mimic an Apple widget).

If you'd turned off the 'automatic open' message, then chances are they were just downloading to your desktop for you to install yourself