Apple Giving iOS Devs Free Copies of OS X Server to Promote Xcode's Continuous Integration

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 24, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today sent out emails to iOS developers, promoting Xcode's continuous integration feature and offering free copies of OS X Server, which is normally priced at $19.99. OS X Server, which was just updated to version 3.0, is provided for free for Mac developers.

[​IMG]
    First introduced in September, Xcode's continuous integration feature is designed to allow developers to create bots that run on a separate server, continually building apps, executing test suites, and searching for potential bugs, ensuring that apps are always in a releasable state after code changes.
    Xcode can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for free. [Direct Link]

OS X Server can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $19.99. [Direct Link]

(Thanks, Anonymous!)

Article Link: Apple Giving iOS Devs Free Copies of OS X Server to Promote Xcode's Continuous Integration

2. macrumors regular

Killa Aaron

Apple is on a roll this year, more free stuff. :)

3. macrumors 6502

What is going on here?

There's so much free stuff! Is it my birthday? :D

4. macrumors 603

troop231

5. macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

You know Apple is a hardware company when they give out software for free....hopefully some of their future software is more of a success because iWork still is leaps and bounds behind Microsoft Office.

6. macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

7. macrumors member

Sweet! I actually deleted that email, like all email Apple sends out. :p

Thanks to this article I went back and read the details!

8. macrumors member

atomic.flip

This is nothing new... they've been offering Server to the Mac Developers for years... LOL

9. macrumors 6502

AAAwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhhhhhh! Except I'm keeping my server at Snow Leopard... Maybe I'll find a use for this sometime.

10. macrumors member

Only Mac developers were able to get OS X Server, not iOS Developers.

11. macrumors 6502

This is for iOS devs. This is new.

12. macrumors member

Delta-NC

Was about to buy this earlier today! Glad I didn't! :D

13. macrumors member

14. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Using CI can quicken your workflow and improve the quality of your apps. So it's in Apple's favor to make sure all the devs are using it.

Having said that, I really don't need this... all my iOS and OS X projects are too small (and only worked on by me) so I can't really benefit from CI. Plus I have no server to run it on.

15. macrumors regular

It's free for all paid developers(iOS and Mac). I downloaded Server yesterday. Check your respective Resources page.

16. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

Can someone give an example with more detail about how CI and bots work besides "build, test and analyze" apps.

17. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

For some reason I don't see it in my account! Anyone has the direct link where I can redeem the code!?

EDIT: NVM got it! was under ios 7 download page right on the bottom.

18. macrumors 68000

Apple wants you to buy another Mac to function as a server. That's why they're giving their software away to the Mac owners, to keep them happy and give them an incentive to buy more.

19. macrumors 68000

The bots continuously scan for changes in the source code repository. Whenever you or another developer working on your project commits a change, the bots notice and kick off a build. The code is compiled and any automated tests are run and any problems are reported to the developers.

20. macrumors member

That's true. It was more in a happy tone rather than one in a confused tone. :)

21. macrumors 6502

22. macrumors 65816

Question: I know in the past (Tiger, leopard) OS X server was a bit of a pain in the ass to run as a day to day OS - is this still the case? This automation sounds pretty cool but I don't have the need/setup to run a dedicated server machine. Would it be worth running on a machine I use daily to gain these features or will I shoot myself in the foot by doing so?

23. macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Get in contact with them. Chances are they'll give you a refund if you are a developer.

24. macrumors 65816

Set it up on an external drive and test it out then? You can run multiple copies of Mavericks on the same machine and still be within licensing terms. Go to the Mac App Store on any computer with Mavericks installed and you can download (again, I know) the 5.29GB Mavericks installer.

25. macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

It's nothing like pre Lion server. Think of it more like server tools addon application. Essentially, its the same Mavericks as you would install on any mac, but with some extra tools added in. In fact all the tools are in a single app, rather than Server Admin, Workgroup Manager etc as it was before lion.

Just give it a go, if it doesn't work out for you, remove it. Easy!