Apple gone HD

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jimsowden, Jan 16, 2005.

1. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Over the past few years I've noticed apple loudly and then quietly switching to widescreen. First the 22" and the 15" powerbook. Then the iMac 17", then the 20" cinema followed by the 17" powerbook. Switch the while display line to nothing but widescreen, then the same for the iMac line. Now they seem to be doing that for their facilities, as in the new HD projection implemented at MWSF, and finally and most importantly their new iPod ad is the first piece of apple media in history, less that crappy pepsi ad, to be in widescreen, and from the aspect ration I assume HD. Now the question is, will apple be broadcasting the ad in its HD format? Obviously, they will have an SD version for when the network isn't in HD, but I have seen other companies have HD ads, usually tied to the very end of a segment of an HD program. Anyone seen it yet? I know NBC primetime is big on apple ads, and HD of course.

2. marknicholls macrumors 6502

Out of interest, is HD really that much better? We dont have it in the UK yet, but sky digital seems pretty crisp and clear to me as it is?

3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Well I guess when they have released Tiger they will use the H264 codec in Quicktime to give their media higher qualitiy

4. mpw Guest

I was wondering about HD aswell. For years the UK's PAL broadcasts were far better than the US network TV now it seems the tables have turned.

I went out looking and there are now a few HD sets on the market in the UK and the BBC are now filming in HD but have not said when broadcast are to begin.

The only trouble is that Sky have said that their broadcasts (when they start) are going to be encrypted so that they'll not work through DVI displays this includes the Sky branded displays they're selling now.

Just another early adopter format dilema I guess.

EDIT: Just re-read the Sky article. Their broadcasts will be encrypted with HDCP(high def. content protection) which will only work through compatible DVI or HDMI connections.

5. panphage macrumors 6502

I don't know how much better HD is than PAL, but it's tons more better than NTSC.

HD resolution: http://www.voom.com/newsletter/aug_resource2.shtml Note that this page says "normal" (I assume NTSC) resolution is 480 lines but I was always taught it was 525 lines. I was also told in 1990 by my media teacher that HDTV was right around the corner. Yeah, maybe in Japan.

6. 3Memos macrumors 6502

PAL and 720P HD are very close in resolution. UK has had it good for some time.

7. 3Memos macrumors 6502

525 lines refer to horizontal resolution. The 480 number you are quoting refers to DV vertical resolution.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I don't recall seeing any commercials in HD/widescreen format on my semi-HD channels (depends on the program). But the ads on my "all-the-time" HD channels (Discovery HD, INHD, INHD2) are always in HD, although they're not really third-party ads, other than Circuit City on Discovery HD. And none from Apple.

I also noticed that Steve's keynote from MacWorld was also streamed in widescreen format, which makes sense. Wanna match what was projected on the big screen behind him.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I watched the Superbowl last year in HD in the US and it looked very nice (except for some of the graphics which were SD). And source HD footage (i.e. raw footage shot in the field and not compressed for TV) looks f'n awesome.

525 refers to the number of horizontal lines in the signal, but not all of those lines carry visual info. IIRC 480 is the number of horzitonal lines that carry picture info that makes up the vertical resolution on a TV.

Lethal