Apple grabs 6.6% market share of U.S. personal computer reta...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 11, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors regular

You've got to be kidding. That's an amazing number. At first I though back-to-school school district buying would cause that bump (Apple being slightly stronger there than the norm), but I assume "retail sales" don't include the education channel. Today's quartely results call should be veeerrry interesting.

To think, the Mac media was talking about 10% as some magic far off dream number just a few months ago.

3. macrumors 6502a

This is for retail sales only - from the article:

"Through August, Apple's share of the U.S. retail market for computers, excluding online sales, grew to 6.6% from 4.3% in the same period last year, according to market researcher NPD Group."

I wonder what the online sales market share is.
    Does anybody here know?

4. macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't know -- but Dell does a heckuva lot of online selling. It might be lower when you take that into account.

5. macrumors 604

iJon

I'm getting a little worried with these analysts talking about video iPods tomorrow. Since ThinkSecret is hardly ever wrong, chances are we won't see video iPods and my stock might show the results when all these analysts are disappointed with tomorrow, although the numbers tonight should excite them.

jon

6. macrumors 601

eva01

yeah i heard from someone at a ciruit city that dell doesn't let stores sell there stuff in the store. That dell only sells online or something. At least that was the crap he gave me when i asked where the dell monitors were

7. macrumors 603

wordmunger

The numbers tonight will excite them only if they exceed what all they analysts are already predicting. Apple could have record breaking profits, but if they're less than the $1.3 bil already predicted, the stock will go down.

8. macrumors G5

nagromme

True--but whatever that 6.6 measures is still an INCREASE of over 50% over the same measurement last year.

That's not bad, considering Mac sales were predicted by ENDLESS fools (OK, me included :p ) to tank until Intel models emerged.

9. macrumors 604

iJon

That crap is indeed true. There are rare occasions where Dell will setup a kiosk at various places, usually malls from what I've heard.

jon

10. macrumors 603

gekko513

That seems to have been the norm. I've not followed this very closely, but I remember comments like, no matter how much profit Apple reports the stock always goes down after an earnings report.

11. macrumors G5

nagromme

Also, it's a 6.6% a lot of other PC makers would kill to have.

Now think of the numbers when 10.5 Leopard is shipping on well-established Intel Macs...

12. macrumors 603

wordmunger

True, indeed. However, if the transition to Intel is not smoother than most of the recent transitions (PPC, Mac OS X), then sales may well tank AFTER the Intel models emerge.

13. macrumors 65816

digitalbiker

Which means one of two things;

either People are snatching up the last PPC macs because they are worried about Intel macs

or People are completely oblivious to the transition. Duh, what's a CPU? Is it important?

14. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

15. macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Ill be happy when we over take linux again...

16. Editor emeritus

longofest

Excellent. 93.4% to go...

In all seriousness, definitely encouraging, and I'm sure that online sales have a similar shape to them. We'll find out in a few hours.

17. macrumors 6502a

dizastor

Nano is on the road to turning this halo effect into a mushroom cloud.

18. macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I would guess the later as a prank me and one of my more immature nerd friends would ask other high schoolers if they had D.I.C.K. drive on their computer. Most said they thought they did.

19. macrumors 6502a

dizastor

Linux sells computers? Since when??

Seriously though, these numbers are based on companies i.e. Dell, HP, Apple etc. not operating system.

20. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

AAPL is already down 10% over the last few days, for no other obvious reason than the overall market is down, even with forecasts like this:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/10/technology/apple_preview/index.htm?section=money_latest

These market share numbers should help, and if they blow away expectations again, as some predict, that 10% should be tacked right back on, and maybe a bit more. But any hint of lower margins or smaller sales growth, then watch out below.

21. macrumors 601

liketom

well , 2hours 32 min to find out .

is it a video webcast tonight or audio only ? 10pm UK time i thinks

22. macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

Fear not. You're not alone. If they announce new PMs or PBs tomorrow (or today) that can only help sales numbers. :D

23. macrumors G5

nagromme

But the number does apply to Mac OS X. All of those Macs run OS X, and no other computers sold do.

24. macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

Yeah, but AAPL is up about 2% alone today (and was up about 3% at one point today).

25. macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

Audio only ... AudioWebcast Q4 '05 Financial Results 2 pm PDT 4pm CDT 5pm EDT.