Apple Grace Period?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macguymike, Nov 7, 2006.

1. macguymike macrumors 6502

My friend recently started a road trip to her new home in another state and wanted to pick up a MacBook before she left so she could stay connected along the way. At first I recommended that she hold off because I had read about the impending updates.

When no such updates materialized before the day she left, she went ahead and bought one. Today I read that updates might be right around the corner.

Does Apple offer a grace period for recently purchased hardware? If she bought the laptop just last week and they release the new batch this week or next, is there any way she could exchange it for the new model without paying Apple's 10% restock fee?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You get 14 days to return it for any reason. But if it's open then you have to pay the restocking fee.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Note that build-to-order systems cannot be returned, and returned systems must be in "resellable" condition.

4. joe50000 macrumors member

5. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

always call apple and even stop by a local store and ask a specilist or manager if an exchange is possible. no matter what, there'll be a 10% restocking fee

6. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I'll forward the info on to her. :)

7. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Apple customer service will also occasionally provide a voluntary partial refund to people who elect to keep their systems even if there was no actual price change for their configuration. It's never more than about $150 or 10% (whichever is lower, naturally), but it's more of an appreciation gesture and a way for Apple to keep returns at a manageable level when new products come out.

This is not required by any law or Apple policy and is entirely discretionary. In other words, being a jerk and acting entitled to some corrective action will generally get you nowhere with this option, not that I'm suggesting your friend is that sort of person.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, if there's a price drop or updated model, they'll usually give you the difference back if it's within 10 days after buying. The new models probably aren't worth the restocking fee. But the money back could help pay for a new iPod.

9. whawhat macrumors 6502

once in a blue moon apple will let you. i ordered a build to order macbook black that arrived with lots of scratches and screen damage right out of the box. they let me return it w/ no restocking fee. it did take a couple of weeks for the charges to be credited back to my cc however.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I heard BTO is not something you could return.

11. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. I'll definitely let her know. She bought the black MacBook, so I know there was a price drop involved with that one at least.