Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Again, this is just the average joe opinion, meaning I'm not a tech geek.

if you're on this forum, you're not an average joe, you're a tech geek of some degree. average joe's would not even know about this site, let alone be on the forum if you think otherwise, you're really just deluding yourself........

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
if you're on this forum, you're not an average joe, you're a tech geek of some degree. average joe's would not even know about this site, let alone be on the forum if you think otherwise, you're really just deluding yourself........

An "average joe" new user (with a total of 4 posts might I add) who just got their first iPhone recently could easily stumble onto this forum asking for advice on their new phone via a quick Google search.

Why are they deluding themselves?

SoFresh~SoClean

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Ottawa, Ont.
This is just going to allow Apple to exploit some ideas that Samsung has had in the oven and Samsung is just going to make a secondary version of their software that will make the final product. Useless to Apple to begin with.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

This is an Apple forum. You'd be surprised how many people are not tech geeks. The Apple community is not only built of geeks.

If you're trying to argue just being on a forum makes you a geek these days, I have a few Harley-Davidson forums to show you. The "average" joes know how to work with PHPBB and vBulletin more than you think.

Ok here's my average joe opinion. I just picked up an iPhone 4 and was looking at possibly returning it. But I have decided to keep it. Anyway, when I was at the Best Buy, I took a gander over the other phones. I saw the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant for Bell and the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate for Rogers. I was told they were both the same phone. Now first off, I felt both phones were very nice. The Samsung screens were gorgeous, I would have to say even nicer than my iPhone 4. I was immediately taken back by the screen size and amazing contrast of colors. I was also told my iPhone 4 screen is supposed to be sharper. To be honest, just looking at the screens I couldn't really say that my screen was sharper. I did absolutely no research buying my iPhone 4, as I always assumed it was just the phone to get. The only reason I was even looking at these other phones was because of the possibility of me returning my iphone 4. Now with that being said, there is no way I would confuse any of these phones with a iPhone 3GS or my iPhone 4. And this is coming from me, a new iphone 4 owner. I will most likely buy the next iPhone, but I honestly can't say I will not consider something else, especially a phone with those amazing big screens. Again, this is just the average joe opinion, meaning I'm not a tech geek.

The Vibrant and Captivate look nothing like the iPhone. The model at most issue, is the Samsung Galaxy S i9000, which is the international model of the phone, sold in Europe and Asia.

Frankly, if you've ever seen even one of those in person, you'd know how much unlike the iPhone 3GS it is, no matter what the pictures say. The shape is different, the bezel is very different and the home button area is also very different.

It just so happens 1 promo shot (the front) makes it look alike. I hope Apple took the time to look at the thing and not just the promo shot before filing this lawsuit, because otherwise, they are in for a surprise...

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
You must at least have no idea who Steve Jobs is, and also think that Apple make machines that run windows.
And/or OSX is another type of Windows.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You must at least have no idea who Steve Jobs is, and also think that Apple make machines that run windows.
And/or OSX is another type of Windows.

Who's this "you" person you're talking to ? You need to "quote" the posts you are responding to in order to give us a bit of context here.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
This is an Apple forum. You'd be surprised how many people are not tech geeks. The Apple community is not only built of geeks.

If you're trying to argue just being on a forum makes you a geek these days, I have a few Harley-Davidson forums to show you. The "average" joes know how to work with PHPBB and vBulletin more than you think.

I can't believe anyone would think that people are Geeks for owning an iPhone and posting on these forums in this day and age, especially with the way that Apple have helped popularise smartphones for non business users.

Thanks to Apple (and others), the Smartphone is mainstream and it's quite "normal" to see non techies using them.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Who's this "you" person you're talking to ? You need to "quote" the posts you are responding to in order to give us a bit of context here.

I meant your average human who does not spend time on tech sites, worrying about spec issues, has other things in their life that are far more important than what brand of phone, what type of screen, or any other issues about an unimportant piece of electronics.

It's a phone with and do a few other things, that's it.

They don't know who Steve Jobs is, they might have heard the name Bill Gates mentioned on TV once, but never really took much notice.

We were talking about such a person, as it's hard for us here to accept there are people like that, who really don't care.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Where there are law suits, there is always a degree of chaos that exists. The fact that Apple initiated the suit, is proof that they seem to love introducing chaos into their operations. But enough of that.

I do believe after using my new Samsung Galaxy S II outside in the sunshine today, and finding it very easy to read the display in such bright ambient light, this new "Super AMOLED Plus" technology is a great improvement.

What really makes me laugh, is when I consider what type of "cool sensational name" Apple will come up with to rename Super AMOLED Plus, so as to make it sound like they invented it.

It's the same thing they've done now with other existing and in no way, "new" technologies. Like the "retina display".

It's nothing more than IPS which has been used for years. The only difference is that Apple had it reduced to a measly 3.5" display. That as opposed to the 14" and 15" sizes used on millions of laptops prior to Apple ever considering getting serious and offering a quality display.

I do hope that Apple will use Samsung's highly superior display on the next iPad. Not so much because I want to use it in the sun, but rather simply because the colors are so beautiful, the contrast is strikingly good with deep blacks and pure whites, and the brightness is so high I must turn it down.

Apple owes it to itself to sell an iPad with a great display, something much better than what my iPad 2 has. :)

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I meant your average human who does not spend time on tech sites, worrying about spec issues, has other things in their life that are far more important than what brand of phone, what type of screen, or any other issues about an unimportant piece of electronics.

It's a phone with and do a few other things, that's it.

They don't know who Steve Jobs is, they might have heard the name Bill Gates mentioned on TV once, but never really took much notice.

We were talking about such a person, as it's hard for us here to accept there are people like that, who really don't care.

exactly. anyone that knows of this site or uses this forum, doesn't fall under the general public. everyone that comes on here is a tech geek of some varying degree, to think otherwise just shows delusion.

look at how many people own an iphone, compare to how many users are on this forum and it just proves that people on here are just a small percentage of it, so really they're not qualified to judge whether the phones do look similar, if not, then access would not have been granted, which is what amuses me most about the people arguing that they don't look similar.

Dbrown

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2010
Anyone who would confuse an iphone 3G with a galaxy S is an idiot. The only people who think they look alike are people who only look at cherry picked images on the internet.

First of all there's "samsung" printed in big ass letters on the front of the phone. You cant miss it. Second touchwiz looks and behaves nothing like iphone UI. The only part that looks similar is the app drawer which isnt even a home screen. Third, galaxy S phones have bigger and much much better screens than a 3GS. Just that difference alone should tell anyone with half a brain that they're not the same phone.

Yes they both have the same general shape. But so does a 3 series and 5 series BMW and no one gets those two confused.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
LG is like Samsung

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/lg-optimus-2x-929388/review?artc_pg=3

I find it interesting that LG's icons are also like Samsung, which are like Apple's.

1) The phone icon is green with a white slanted at a similar icon to iOS
2) Contacts is a book with a silhouette of a person with tabs on the right
3) Camera applications is the same colour scheme as Apple's with a blue lens and a thicker black border and a grey back. The difference is instead of a grey square, it is shaped like a DSLR
4) The calendar is like iOS's but more specifically, OS X's. It has metal rings on the top and a redish bar, plus, the bottom right corner of the page is curled.
5) The photos app is of a sunflower.
6) This one is less severe, but there are 4 icons across and 4 down, with a dock at the bottom.

Attachments

• interface apps-210-100.jpg
    interface apps-210-100.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
1) The phone icon is green with a white slanted at a similar icon to iOS
2) Contacts is a book with a silhouette of a person with tabs on the right
3) Camera applications is the same colour scheme as Apple's with a blue lens and a thicker black border and a grey back. The difference is instead of a grey square, it is shaped like a DSLR
4) The calendar is like iOS's but more specifically, OS X's. It has metal rings on the top and a redish bar, plus, the bottom right corner of the page is curled.
5) The photos app is of a sunflower.
6) This one is less severe, but there are 4 icons across and 4 down, w#ith a dock at the bottom.

#1 - The look of the phone icon predates the iPhone.
kdarling has already posted in another thread a very well documented history on it.
#2 - iffy at best. The look is similar, but the colors are different.
#3 - it's a camera for the camera app... where's the issue?
#4 - it's a flip calendar.. big deal. Those have been around and used as icons long before the iPhone.
#5 - hate to break it to you, but that is not a Sunflower.
#6 - is pointless. It's a grid of icons... again, predates the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.