Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digital1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
A few former Apple employees have founded a company that makes "Ultra Compters". It takes the advantages of PDAs, laptops, and desktop PCs. It uses a 1 Ghz Transmeta chip. I have seen concepts like this but no one has ever moved forward with them. Maybe this is something we could see in the future with Apple? Maybe these guys wanted to do something different and wanted to compete with Apple. Who knows, but it is a very nifty device, and being a computer engineering student I can appreciate the work,and insight that went into this device.

Here, check the guys out!

http://www.oqo.com/http://www.oqo.com/ :) :D

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
didn't apple say it definitely wasn't going into the PDA market for the time being? and that device won't have much of a market...people seem to stick with traditional laptops and PDA's...no crosses

digital1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
nothing wrong with starting a little controversy though... ;) I personally think this reflects something that Apple is developing but is not releasing to the world, and these guys wanted to do it differently.

digital1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
I think that those devices could possibly have a market, it is just ahead of its time. It could possibly go somewhere. Personally, I would go with a Linux OS like Mandrake, or Red Hat.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by digital1
nothing wrong with starting a little controversy though... ;) I personally think this reflects something that Apple is developing but is not releasing to the world, and these guys wanted to do it differently.

Interesting point. But by beating Apple to the punch, it just doesn't make any sense. If Apple was working on this type of thing, they'd want to get it to market before we're flooded with these things. Look at how well the iPod did. There already is another PDAish 5 gig harddrive device, posted a couple days ago. Soon everyone is going to get into the game. How long before Palm and Handspring realize that if they don't get on board with this their silly little 128meg PDAs will be obsolete?

For what its worth, Apple might be thinking the same and not even bother getting in the game.:eek:

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by mmmdreg
didn't apple say it definitely wasn't going into the PDA market for the time being? and that device won't have much of a market...people seem to stick with traditional laptops and PDA's...no crosses

that's what I've been saying for months now...but no one listens...

I'll only shutup on it once I do see Apple actually produce a PDA... :eek:

digital1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
Very good points. I personally think though too that Apple reconsiders doing things like this too. A company as innovative as them, I think would look at all viable options to extend their creativity. They more than have the ability to come up with an awesome PDA, or some sort of hybrid device like qoq has. Maybe I am just dreaming.:( Personally I think these hybrid devices have a very good future. Even though Palm and handspring's storage is still small by today's standard, I think that the portable revolution they started will continue to grow and have influence over the industry as a whole. I do agree though that memory constraints are too low. But I also agree that solid state memory has a future too. ;)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
*puts on turban and holds up sealed envelope*

Spends a lot of money and fails miserably, screwing the company for the next 3-5 years

*opens envelope and reads slip of paper*

What will happen if Apple makes another PDA?

hehe
:)
pnw

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by SPG
I don't see a huge market potential either, but the concept does look kind of cool.

That's exactly like the failed Cube...it had like no market and was expensive...but it looked cool...but it failed...

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
The cube failed because the "cool" cost a premium. If the cube were cheaper it would've been a big success. If this little gizmo is almost as expensive as a full featured laptop it will most likely fail too. But if it's cheap, under $400 or even $600 it will find a following.
I think something like this solves a lot of the palm issues such as not enough storage or functionality while solving one of the laptop problems of being too damn big to take everywhere.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
I may have just overlooked it, but is there any internet connectivity built in to this thing? A modem port even? I know it has bluetooth, but what about faster more broadband type of connectivity?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by paulwhannel
*puts on turban and holds up sealed envelope*

Spends a lot of money and fails miserably, screwing the company for the next 3-5 years

*opens envelope and reads slip of paper*

What will happen if Apple makes another PDA?

hehe
:)
pnw

You are correct sir... LOL...

The problem I see with that device, is the price tag.. at about $1000, without anything extra (harware wise) it is a bit steep. This has been discussed in length on another thread, check it out and see where it all went.

digital1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
Even though it could possibly fail, I think that eventually the concept will catch on, and people will come up with cheaper and better ways to make it. Think about videogames. Many people thought it was just a fad, and companies like Atari failed in the long run, but people, companies, and creative people never gave up on making consoles and games for them, now look where they are now. Just because something may fail the first time, or even the first few times doesn't mean everyone elses endeavors will fail. The failure is just the forerunner. Although many of you make very good points and I agree, I don't agree with the fact that you think that this idea will never take off. Eventually this idea will take off, the right people just have to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.