Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Man you guys/gals need to wait a few mins and check before posting

That is 2 in a row.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Is that counting the ones that don't get through?!

Well, actually it's more than likely way less than 40 billion as they are now referencing "several billion".

40 billion is the number that represents how many notifications they send out daily.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
And they have a working business model, in selling hardware with free services.
Take that WhatsApp!

So, Whatsapp is an amazing company worth $19 billion. But Apple is toast and surely going to lose money, and a terrible stock to own... even though it sends as many messages per day as Whatsapp? See why it makes sense for Apple to buy back its own shares instead of acquiring a company like this? They can already do everything whatsapp does, and much more. If Wall St. ever pulls their heads out of their collective butts, we should see Apple trading at over $1000...

Seriously? Why that attitude towards WhatsApp. Did one of the founders there hurt a family member?

Sam,I saw this yesterday posted by 1stNTenderbit (do I even want to know how that name was derived?:eek::D)
"...I'm not sure if you know how it's supposed to be done, but this ain't it. 1st, you have to go "all in". Google, Samsung, Microsoft, heck any company without this :apple:, yeah they're all bad. You have to be totally with us or you're totally against us. There is no room for personal use case. Evil incarnate= all others. 2nd, logic and common sense are not allowed. Your comments must contain: gratuitous hyperbole, completely unrelated deflection, useless anecdotal "facts", or a horrible car analogy using Ferrari, Mercedes, or BMW. Personally I'd prefer you use a combination, but that's just me. 3rd, realize if Apple and another company are doing the exact same thing, Apple's motives are altruistic, the other company is greedy."

His(?) post was sarcasm, but I think it's apropos to the logic behind the comments above yours.;)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Sam,I saw this yesterday posted by 1stNTenderbit (do I even want to know how that name was derived?:eek::D)
"...I'm not sure if you know how it's supposed to be done, but this ain't it. 1st, you have to go "all in". Google, Samsung, Microsoft, heck any company without this :apple:, yeah they're all bad. You have to be totally with us or you're totally against us. There is no room for personal use case. Evil incarnate= all others. 2nd, logic and common sense are not allowed. Your comments must contain: gratuitous hyperbole, completely unrelated deflection, useless anecdotal "facts", or a horrible car analogy using Ferrari, Mercedes, or BMW. Personally I'd prefer you use a combination, but that's just me. 3rd, realize if Apple and another company are doing the exact same thing, Apple's motives are altruistic, the other company is greedy."

His(?) post was sarcasm, but I think it's apropos to the logic behind the comments above yours.;)

The funny thing is - now he's really off the mark because they updated the story with a more accurate depiction.

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
And they have a working business model, in selling hardware with free services.
Take that WhatsApp!

Sorry to burst your bubble but the money Apple gets from their sales goes into funding these services and updates. So the service is not really "free", you already paid for it.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Seriously? Why that attitude towards WhatsApp. Did one of the founders there hurt a family member?
Nothing. Just the ordinary betrayal of offering something for free and than selling your personal data for targeted ad-bombardments. It's no different from what Google and Facebook do and I hate all of those shady businesses. They are the worst and the Internet would be better off without them. To all those who keep preaching me the benefits of cross-platform and openness, I say: „I like my doors closed.“

I couldn't care less, if iMessage or WhatsApp is the bigger service. My tolerance level for ad-based businesses is zero. I happily loose a couple of million possible contacts, if all the ads go away with them.

Me likes how FaceTime and iMessage are financed by hardware sales, the :apple: way.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the money Apple gets from their sales goes into funding these services and updates. So the service is not really "free", you already paid for it.
Exactly, I paid for it. Not someone else who than owns access to my data.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Well the latest update to this story sure steels its thunder. :eek:

The saying is steals it's thunder. It takes the big shock and awe away, it does not reinforce it. [/pethate]

I'm not surprised that such a large number of iMessages are being sent, when you think it is completely integrated into the ecosystem, most users don't even realise it is there.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Nothing. Just the ordinary betrayal of offering something for free and than selling your personal data for targeted ad-bombardments. It's no different from what Google and Facebook do and I hate all of those shady businesses. They are the worst and the Internet would be better off without them. To all those who keep preaching me the benefits of cross-platform and openness, I say: „I like my doors closed.“

I couldn't care less, if iMessage or WhatsApp is the bigger service. My tolerance level for ad-based businesses is zero. I happily loose a couple of million possible contacts, if all the ads go away with them.

Me likes how FaceTime and iMessage are financed by hardware sales, the :apple: way.

Exactly, I paid for it. Not someone else who than owns access to my data.

Except WhatsApp isn't ad based at all - and that seems to be one of the conditions of the sale that it remains so...

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
When I send a group text to my wife and kids does that count as one "handled" message or 4 (my send, wife and 2 kids reception)?

Not that it still isn't a lot of messages.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
putting the video service on par with other apps like Skype.

"on a par with Skype"? You're joking, right? Have you tried Skype with a poor connection. I Facetime my wife regularly when she's in Australia in areas that have dodgy cell coverage. It fairly often drops to "reconnecting" for a few seconds or goes a bit lumpy, but mostly works. Skype has only ever once made a successful link over the connection.

Facetime's ability to connect with very low bandwidth is miles ahead of any of the competition.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Except WhatsApp isn't ad based at all - and that seems to be one of the conditions of the sale that it remains so...
That's why I said, it has no working business model, yet. Either WhatsApp starts to sell ads or bundles its free service with some other paid service or it stays a company without earnings until bankruptcy.

Facebook itself started without ads, but you can't remain a company without earnings for long, eventually you have to change into something I won't like. Apple's free services are platform specific and don't ever need to change.

The downsides of using iMessage are well known, the downsides of using WhatsApp are yet to be revealed.
It starts with being bought by Facebook ...

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I guess it shows just how many people live inside Apple's little walled garden!

Huh, didn't notice I was in Apple's. It looks like all the other SMS/chat/text/photo gardens I've been in.

Except MSN messenger garden, too many of my previously edgy and teenage friends replaced A's for anarchy symbols to make it look the same. Then again MySpace was a thing back then too.

Sorry, I'm rambling again.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
How do we not have FaceTime FaceMail yet? (This would be video Voice Mail)

If we did, I'd stop calling (via the phone network) my FaceTime friends with the phone, I'd just use FaceTime.

Gary

You already can — it just doesn't have a special name.

Open an iMessage thread, hit the camera icon, pick "take photo or video", shoot your video, hit send.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's why I said, it has no working business model, yet. Either WhatsApp starts to sell ads or bundles its free service with some other paid service or it stays a company without earnings until bankruptcy.

Facebook itself started without ads, but you can't remain a company without earnings for long, eventually you have to change into something I won't like. Apple's free services are platform specific and don't ever need to change.

The downsides of using iMessage are well known, the downsides of using WhatsApp are yet to be revealed.
It starts with being bought by Facebook ...
Are we conveniently forgetting that WhatsApp charges for service?

----------

You already can — it just doesn't have a special name.

Open an iMessage thread, hit the camera icon, pick "take photo or video", shoot your video, hit send.
I guess it would need to integrated into FaceTime so that when a FaceTime call goes unanswered you would have a choice to leave such a message.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Are we conveniently forgetting that WhatsApp charges for service?
$16bn worth of meat. I am not forgetting it.

facebook.jpg

Reactions: Amazing Iceman

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Is that counting the ones that don't get through?!

I iMessage all day long - my wife and kids my friends, business folks that I know I'm nonstop with iMessage. I cannot remember the last time an iMessage did not go through. Where are you getting the information that they don't go through? I'm betting it's not personal experience. ;)

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
The saying is steals it's thunder. It takes the big shock and awe away, it does not reinforce it. [/pethate]

I'm not surprised that such a large number of iMessages are being sent, when you think it is completely integrated into the ecosystem, most users don't even realise it is there.

That's what I am trying to say, the big shock and awe has been taken away from 40 billion to several billion.

Update 12:46 PM PST: According to The Wall Street Journal reporter Daisuke Wakabayashi, Apple CEO Tim Cook told shareholders that the company processes "several billion" iMessages per day, with the 40 billion number referring to notifications.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I use iMessages whenever possible and it's not even a question if the person on the other end has it too.

PLUS FaceTime audio is amazing. I use it whenever I can because the sound quality is far better than any cell phone call I've ever been on.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I use iMessages whenever possible and it's not even a question if the person on the other end has it too.

PLUS FaceTime audio is amazing. I use it whenever I can because the sound quality is far better than any cell phone call I've ever been on.

I agree. FaceTime audio is basically as clear as Skype-to-Skype, which I suppose is what it is just under a different name.

If you have T-Mobile, though, call clarity to another iPhone wielding T-Mobile user is just as clear. I've been very impressed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.