apple hardware design

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jelloshotsrule, May 25, 2002.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i was listening to national public radio yesterday and heard them talking about some american design show that's touring the country. they went through the 4 or so parts of the exhibits and said what type of stuff was in it...

the first 3 groups were like chairs and that kinda stuff..

then when it got to the fourth group..... the two things they talked about were apple computers and these clear trash cans that are apparently popular...

the "expert" was saying how the cube was great cause of the translucence and seeing the parts and all that. and then he mentioned another white translucent which i'm sure was the iMac.. though he didn't mention it by name.

once i heard design i thought apple. at some museum in nyc about design, they had a few imacs and stuff (2 years ago) and a bunch of other things that were clearly influenced by the imac colors and plastic...

just thought i'd share this interesting little tidbit.

2. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

whats ur icon?i cant see it a paintball gun?!

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it's a picture of dignan (owen wilson) from the movie bottle rocket.

it LOOKS like he's holding a gun. but he's pointing and there's something in the background in such a place that it looks like a gun...

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I always though it was a gun
    It looks like it heaps

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    the imacs are a perfect example of the intersection of Form, Function and Affordability.

there have been very few products in the last 100 years that meet those criteria. i would compare it to the molded plywood furniture of charles and ray eames, the swatch watch and the sears mailorder homes.

these products were duplicated by so many other manufacturers.

anyway, i hope its a touring exhibit...i'll go see it.

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I wouldn't say affordable

I could have gotten a P4 2.2ghz,1gb ram,19inch screen a DVD-RW, ge-force 3
    plus a hole other bunch of stuff for $2500

but the only thing that kept me back was that winblows sucks and OS X rules

7. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

the smithonian institute or whatever that museum is called or some big art museum has a cube on display

8. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, it's not only that the design is great, looks good, is very efficient and all that... but how many people are now making original imac looking things...? that shows the influence and how important the design has become in apple's grand scheme.

the exhibit is traveling around.... and i'm pretty sure you can go.

check out this link for more... i'm pretty sure this is the thing i heard about.

http://search1.npr.org/opt/collections/torched/me/data_me/seg_71613.htm

as for the imac being affordable. i think it is. mac15... all the things you mentioned (except the 19") are basically standard and for less than 2500. you can juice the ram for a couple hundred so i think it's around the same or better for cheaper. sure, it's only 800 g4 not 2.2 p4. but we won't get into that here.

9. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

somone told me there was a museum in paris that showcased the g4 cube...

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Think about it, Apple HAS revolutionized computers in the last 4 or 5 years, and they continue to revolutionize the industry every time they release a new product. When was the last time a totally new Apple product came out that wasn't like BAM, IN YOUR FACE MICROSOFT LOSERS!!!!

*shudder*

we could still be using beige boxes if it weren't for Apple

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

He's at Bob's house, after riding up on his scooter, the light colored bar in the background is the street at the end of the driveway.

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Two words. Industrial Design. My wife is majoring in it, and hopefully will be designing with Apple in another year or so. (Oh, God please) The only bad thing is that she would not be able to give me details on the systems, although, you know I would spy on her for them :rolleyes: Honey, if you read this, I won't do that. he, he.

I agree that they have revolutionized the computer world over the last 4 or 5 years, not only on external design, but in OS design as well. Anyway, can you imagine what it will be like in another 5 years?

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It will be a different world my friend. With the development of OLED displays hitting the mainstream by then, we'll see a host of uses of flexible, rolable displays. Solidstate diskdrives (using memory chips instead of diskdrives) will have become more universal and who even knows what's going to happen in terms of speed. Its all something I'm eagerly looking forward to. We'll look back at the original TiPBs we have now and wonder how we ever could have used them they were so slow and heavy.....:D

14. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I agree that you have nailed it on the head. The future is coming at us at a pace that the future really was yesterday. It sounds stupid, but it makes sense if you really think about it. Man, rolabe displays, that would just be the bomb. I can't wait till Steve says..."oh, one more thing." In 2005 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: