Apple Harvest Computing - experience??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kingtj, Nov 7, 2006.

1. kingtj macrumors 68020

Back around the middle of October, I purchased a 256MB RAM upgrade for my kid's old Bondi Blue iMac off eBay. The seller was an Apple store called Apple Harvest Computing (www.appleharvestcomputing.com).

The problem is, I still haven't received the memory after paying immediately via PayPal. They did provide me with a tracking number for the package after the first few days, but it only indicates that someone prepared the shipment through them.... Even today, it doesn't indicate any action beyond that ever happened.

Someone named "Jeff" over there emailed me once, since then, saying he wasn't sure what happened to the package and was going to check with the post office, reship it if necessary, etc. But still nothing, and it's been almost 2 weeks since he said that.

This is only going from Illinois to Missouri, so I'd expect the shipment to arrive in no more than 1-2 days!

Does anyone else here have any experience with these guys? Are they a reputable dealer? It looked like they had a lot of positive eBay feedback, so I didn't expect any problems like this with them.

2. hydrogeoman macrumors newbie

Same exact problem here with Apple Harvest order!

The exact same thing happened to me! Back on Oct 16, I submitted my order for $100 worth of PC133 memory which I was told shipped out on the 18th. That order never arrived, so "Jeff" said he was re-shipping. However, despite not receiving the 2nd shipment for over two weeks now, I can not reach anyone to talk to. No one is returning phone mesages or e-mails. I have no idea what is going on with this company (which, by the way, has (had?)excellent feedback on the eBay sales).

I did manage to catch Jeff's wife over the phone last Friday. She said Jeff had been sick and was a little slow getting things back up to normal. But why can't they be reached again, and why don't they return emails or phone calls?

I don't like the sounds of this. In the meanwhile, my AMEX has been charged $100. Have you heard anything since your post here on MacRumors?

3. kingtj thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the reply!

I don't like the sound of this either! I'm not saying the place is out to screw everyone over -- but at the very least, I'm now guessing this company consists of little more than this Jeff guy and his wife. And with him sick, things have pretty much ground to a halt over there.

I did just see where he got another positive feedback just a few days ago, so maybe they're slowly mailing things out to catch up with a backlog. But I sent several emails that never were responded to, and from the start, it looks to me like he never mailed my product out at all (and simply lied about it possibly getting lost in the mail to buy him more time).

I filed a dispute with PayPal, and PayPal has been awaiting their response for weeks. Nobody replied to that either. So pretty soon, I'm hoping PayPal will rule in my favor by default and refund my money. But with PayPal, it's always a gamble at best....

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

If you can't get anywhere with paypal in the next couple days, then you may be able to phone your credit card company and talk to them about it. They may get paypal moving a little faster. :D Its worked for me. You phone credit card company they phone paypal, paypal goes woooo deals with seller or give you your money back. :D

5. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

This post is fishy. The poster created his account and posted just once. A creative thread bump, perhaps? Or maybe a catalyst to create interest?

6. hydrogeoman macrumors newbie

Well, in my case (although I discovered Apple Harvest through eBay) after a few seemingly honest e-mail exchanges with Jeff, I ended up buying directly off their website. So I didn't use eBay or Paypal. I would still have recourse through AMEX's customer service, however, so will probably pursue that unless I hear again real soon from Jeff ...or whomever.

I did notice a baby crying in the background of the conversation I had with Jeff's wife (presumably at home). She didn't appear to be hiding anything, as of a week ago, at least; so I don't quite know what to think.

I'll probably give it until middle of next week, then start filing claims through AMEX, Better Business Bureau, State Attorney Generals Office, etc.

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Does this mean they have your credit card number? Or is it through some other third party company that processes the credit cards?

8. hydrogeoman macrumors newbie

Well "fishy" it might appear to you! Me? I am the one who may have been stiffed for $100 and am accordingly concerned, to say the least. Concern was my only reason for posting here. In fact, I went to the trouble of registering with my earthlink (secondary e-mail), because this site didn't like my usual, yahoo account. However, given the reception my initial post has prompted from ...UGo..., perhaps I should have interpreted that intial hitch as an omen to give it up!

Upon Google-searching for anything on this vendor (AppleHarvest Computing) and finding the initial post by kingtj here--I registered as new member of MacRumors JUST TO POST ON THIS ISSUE (recent non-responses by AppleHarvest memory people). Not only was kingtj affected and concerned enough to post about it, but so am I affected and concerned ...as well as perhaps others ...others who might appreciate a "heads up."

Although I am obviously new here (but not usually one to join just any old forum for the sake of complaining), I had (and still have) no reason to continue posting or maintaing membership here if old timers (like OnceUGoMac) have problems with my concern or sense that my intentions are too "fishy" for the perhaps established (grandfathered?) purposes of this forum.

So far, I have attempted to maintain my patience with AppleHarvest Computing, as their eBay reputation appeared (appears?) very clean, plus the fact that my one conversation with the Mrs. did nothing to indicate otherwise. In fact, the wife said that her husband (Jeff) had just returned from the hospital so, obviously, he may be more than just "sick." At ant rate, please consider my post as nothing more / nothing less than a simple, harmless FYI.

...cheers!

Oh, by the way--thanks for your concern, trainguy77; no, as far as I know, there was no middle party through which I submitted the requested AMEX info. It might still be "out there" for anyone to use fraudulently if so desired. So thanks; I'll definitly monitor that account!