Apple has 6.3% market share... in Switzerland

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Zaty, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Zaty macrumors 65816

According to Swiss newspaper "Tages Anzeiger", Apple had 6.3% market share in Switzerland in 2004. In units sold, Apple was no. 5 in the Swiss computer market, they increased the number of units sold by 17% last year!

Now, if we Swiss don't deserve having a local iTMS, who does? Please Apple, please.

Link (in German)

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/dyn/digital/hintergrund/463723.html

2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I think apple should open 10-20 stores at once, a lot of people are having problems (me included). Its a pain getting a Mac and its a bigger pain having something fixed with stupid re-sellers who have nothing in stock.

3. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yes that is a great idea
    Most re-sellers don't have a lot in stock, so new world wide shop's that is what we need :D

4. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

It would be a great start if they could get at least 2-3 stores up in all the major countries in Europe. I think the market for a few stores is definitely there. England has those 2-3 stores this year. France will get it's store this year from what I remember but what about Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, etc.?
    Besides this I think the biggest opportunity is still China and it really baffles me that Apple isn't present there.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys getting an iTMS...

5. Zaty thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm sure Apple will open 2-3 stores in Germany sooner or later. I'm skeptical about retail stores in Switzerland, Austria and other smaller countries. But mini stores in cities such as Zurich or Vienna would definitely help increase sales in those countries. The problems with resellers not having anything in stock is really a pain, especially for new products. As of last Saturday, you couldn't buy iWork or iLife 05 anywhere in Switzerland, although the official release date was one week earlier. According to reports, resellers should receive the first shipments of those products today. As for hardware, sometimes it takes months (yes, plural) for newly announced products to become widely available. By the time every reseller has them in stock, they are due for the next update :)

6. JonoColesUK macrumors member

JonoColesUK

tell me about it

i gto my PB in HongKong at Xmas

I was expecting a giant shiny apple store

in the end i had to go searching around a computer emporium
    ... was kinda fun though (and cheaper) lol

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I hope for rather sooner than later :D
    I definitely hope that each country will get at least one. But I guess if Munich gets one... it isn't that far :rolleyes:

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Judging by the enormous success Apple had with their first store in London, I'd think that would, at the very least, encourage Apple to open more stores elsewhere in Europe. Why they haven't yet is a mystery to me. Opening at least one store in every country that's part of the European Union would boost Apple's sales (not just international, but global too) considerably.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

judging from the current state of apple germany/austria i doubt that they get a store before switzerland..
    after the director of apple austria left apple last year (to microsoft austria ... but that's a different story)... apple germany took control of apple austria... ...but one month ago apple germany director left the company as well... so at the moment apple germany/austria isn't clearly lead by anyone ... i'm really crossing my fingers for my 'open' order...i already can imagine a telephone call by apple explaining to me that they shipped my mac mini to australia by mistake ;)

at least the press coverage of apple products increased dramatically the last weeks so it looks better now:
    last thursday there was promotion of the "arbeiterkammer" (some sort of "workers union") where they had ipod suffle giveaway (only a few sadly)
    and today the local (absolutly dominating and conservative) newspaper had a half page "glory and praise" article with one employee of the local 'mediamarkt' (the german readers will know the company :rolleyes: ) saying : "normally we don't offer apple products,but with the mac mini being such a great product we simply have to..."
    i hope they get a machine for playing around untill the end of the week ... (i'm gonna buy a dvd there and have to get this weeks "c't" at the mall)

10. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

they do...? *runs off to the next Mediamarkt* :D

11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Makes me glad to be Swiss :D

An Apple store in Switzerland would be cool :cool: