Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trufunk

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2016
Texas
I go up to Montreal in a few days. It's difficult to see if they replaced my Apple Watch under warranty or if they're going to charge me the $329.00 replacement fee as indicated by the original repair estimate:

Fz17grr.png

A phone call could probably take care of that.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Well, it's an international call to Canada. I'm going to Montreal on Saturday anyway so it's not out of the way.

Will you pay $329 for it? I wouldn't. I would tell them they could keep it, or give me back my damaged Watch. No way you own them $329.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Will you pay $329 for it? I wouldn't. I would tell them they could keep it, or give me back my damaged Watch. No way you own them $329.

I honestly don't know. I have an event at noon in Montreal so I only have like an hour of time to sit there and plead my case.

Essentially, if I owe $329 for a watch because the warranty was marked invalid by someone at Depot a month ago, I won't pay it but I'm not going to accept the fact that my warranty was cancelled w/o any cause. I owe Apple money under AppleCare+ to replace my watch w/ a refurbished unit due to accidental damage. I accept that reality.

I won't accept paying full replacement price when I specifically bought $99 AppleCare+ to avoid this situation.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I honestly don't know. I have an event at noon in Montreal so I only have like an hour of time to sit there and plead my case.

Essentially, if I owe $329 for a watch because the warranty was marked invalid by someone at Depot a month ago, I won't pay it but I'm not going to accept the fact that my warranty was cancelled w/o any cause. I owe Apple money under AppleCare+ to replace my watch w/ a refurbished unit due to accidental damage. I accept that reality.

I won't accept paying full replacement price when I specifically bought $99 AppleCare+ to avoid this situation.

100% agree. I would not pay anything but the $100.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
100% agree. I would not pay anything but the $100.

But, is it better to leave the watch there and escalate this to Tim Cook or pay the $329 and hope they reimburse me $329 - $99 I really owe after the fact?

The former will likely require another trip up to Montreal, the latter could leave me w/ a $329 refurb watch I don't need and radio silence from Apple.

This is what my Apple Watch still shows on the GetSupport.Apple.com page:

5Wd1JWM.png

My coverage is still showing expired.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
But, is it better to leave the watch there and escalate this to Tim Cook or pay the $329 and hope they reimburse me $329 - $99 I really owe after the fact?

The former will likely require another trip up to Montreal, the latter could leave me w/ a $329 refurb watch I don't need and radio silence from Apple.

This is what my Apple Watch still shows on the GetSupport.Apple.com page:

5Wd1JWM.png

My coverage is still showing expired.

Yeah I would leave it there and tell them you are contacting Tim Cook. There is no reason you should be paying $329 for it.

Reactions: adamjackson

jacob_w

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2015
I go up to Montreal in a few days. It's difficult to see if they replaced my Apple Watch under warranty or if they're going to charge me the $329.00 replacement fee as indicated by the original repair estimate:

Fz17grr.png
I can tell from this pic which store you went to! Guessed that you probably didn't go to the one DT as it's always crazily busy.

Hope everything goes well when you pick it up from Fairview this weekend

meanwoman

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
at this point, I think you deserve a free replacement... in fact, i think they owe you for all this trouble! this makes me so angry, i feel for you!!

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2013
I just went through something similar and believe it or not contacting Apple Support's Twitter account was what got my issue escalated quickly and taken care of. They even went out of their way to apologize to me for any inconvenience it caused me. I find that Twitter is the best place to complain as companies don't like their name dragged through the mud on a social media grand stage.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
@adamjackson can you please just go to Montreal now? Ugh, we need to know how this flipping ends ;)

PS: I'm hoping you simply get it replaced for free or less than $100. Fingers crossed...

Reactions: adamjackson

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
As a former Apple Store employee, you should've known better not to do that and you should also know how to handle this without resorting to a forum.

What do you mean? I don't use Twitter so that was a joke in reference to my initial phone conversation that was brought up in my first post here about the person saying they couldn't help me and when I stated that I"d just have to post the story to my blog or a forum and hope someone higher up sees it, the employee got really serious and asked me if I was threatening Apple. I said no and then things went back to normal cherry conversation. It was just a weird exchange.

If I email Apple or Tim, I'd reference both Repair IDs I have and the serial number of the device and I'd still link to this forum. I've done nothing in here but show my appreciation for the company and their products, show screen shots of the situation and stated that I don't want any hand-outs, just to have my AppleCare+ Warranty honored and reinstated (it's showing expired).

I've enjoyed sharing the experience with you all here. I don't think I'm breaking any rules by doing so.

Jay, I don't have access to PeopleSoft or an Employee # anymore. I'm just a regular-joe so if Apple Level II Support on the phone says their hands are tied and the Store 'plays dumb' and sends the watch in anyway in hopes someone at Apple Depot will fix it, if it comes back and I owe $329, what is my recourse? Call Apple again? Email Apple? Create a Twitter account and reply to them? Former Apple Employee carries no weight outside of some back - and - forth for 2-3 minutes with the employee before they tell me there's nothing they can do.

Did this actually happen? If so can you post links?

It did not, I was just joking in reference to how the apple employee on the telephone reacted to me talking publicly about my ordeal.

Reactions: anoobis

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
You're not helping your own cause when you post misleading nonsense.

I apologize. I'd delete it but you already quoted it. It was meant to be a joke. Even as a former employee, I think we can all find a bit of humor in Apple asking customers if they're threatening a corporation when a customer who is without options states they are going to escalate this to social media and additional humor in the disparity between Apple's response and the fact that Apple runs a social media presence that helps customers w/ issues.

Reactions: anoobis

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
As a former Apple Store employee, you should've known better not to do that and you should also know how to handle this without resorting to a forum.

...you say this as if he hadn't already taken measures to resolve the issue prior to ever posting about it on this forum or on social media. He only did so when he hit a brick wall and needed feedback.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
...you say this as if he hadn't already taken measures to resolve the issue prior to ever posting about it on this forum or on social media. He only did so when he hit a brick wall and needed feedback.

It was a fake post and didn't happen anyway. Such a post won't help his cause because it reflects poorly on Apple, and would make them less likely to be willing to make it right with the OP.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
It was a fake post and didn't happen anyway. Such a post won't help his cause because it reflects poorly on Apple, and would make them less likely to be willing to make it right with the OP.

Jay has a point. I agree with him. Obviously a poor joke. I still think it's funny :)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Wait so someone is not suppose to come onto a forum to discuss an issue they have with a company that they were previously employed with? I mean he is not saying Apple is trash, he just wanted to tell a story and ask advice. I don't understand the problem with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.