Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Yea, I like that better. Why don't you calm down, what you have a vested interest in that free tweak?

MobileNotifier sucks. It's the least intuitive notification system I have ever seen, either in concept, practice, Android phones included.

Blocks icons. Dumb. Lock screen works like @&$@, actually takes longer to preview and respond than normal Apple popups.

It's a matter of opinion whether or not Apple notifications are good or bad. Notifications should be dealt with immediately, or ignored, which is what Apple let's you do. There is NO NEED WHATSOEVER for a notifications section or page or app as some have suggested. That's totally backwards. Notifications should live only in the Apps they originate from. It's amazing how people don't realize that going to a notification app is the exact same as going to the App itself (SMS, Mail), just without the enhanced features of the originating app.

All Apple needs are quick reply features for SMS, and pop ups/quick reply for Mail...and the ability to turn these pop ups on or off in settings (exactly like you can right now for Push notifications).

You know the reason I want a notifications screen?

Cause sometimes I don't want to go there right away and if I procrastinate I don't remember every single app that sent me a notification. Plus if I get multiple notifications I can only pick one to go to and pay attention to and hope to remember the rest. I would like a list of notifications including which ones I haven't opened the app to since the notification as a reminder of which notifications I haven't paid attention to yet.

That way I don't have to try to sit there and remember to pay attention to some app and I can put my full focus on what I'm doing at the moment knowing I can just go to the notifications screen later and be reminded of what new things I need to pay attention to.

I'd like the notification screen so I can *ignore* a notification at the moment and not worry that I'll forget about it when I want to go and check what's new later on.

And this is from some one who has recently asked why people dislike the notifications as it is right now (I have some pet peeves but never really thought of it as bad enough to be thinking it had to be fixed. But... every handheld I've had had some similar way of doing notifications so I haven't known much different). Even though I don't have much issue with notifications even I've noticed the lack of that and can fully agree that it is better to at least have a screen you can go to to see a history of notifications. It's a small pet peeve of mine that I think would be a vast improvement.

Plus I hate having to keep going through pop up screens when you have multiple notifications, it would be nice if it was all in one pop up rather than them layering over each other so you have to go through a stack of them.

I will say in general I do like the notifications popping up over what I'm doing (maybe in a less intrusive way that would be fine too, kinda like how facebook does it honestly. I like how the guy who is the focus of this article does it with the exception that I'd want the notifications to actually pause what I'm doing cause when playing a game I don't like that it would pop up and my game would still go and not be paused... that could get very annoying as it could easily mess me up in the game doing that).

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
At the risk of sounding like Kanye West..

I'm really happy for Mr. Hajas, but David Ashman has the best notification system of all time. imo.

Here's my homescreen, my icons start on screen 2.
One word. "Yuck".
That reminds me of Winmo 6.5. I would not want anything like that in iOS 5. Anyone who wants that can jailbreak if they want that kind of clutter.

Having too much personal info on a lock screen for example kind of defeats the purpose of a lock screen which is to protect your privacy.

A home screen, IMO, is for launching into apps that you use most and having personal info on it displayed also kind of risks your privacy. I want to be able to hand someone my iPhone so they can make a call without giving them direct access to information about my personal life on the home screen.

You can accomplish the same thing with a PIM app that pulls in information about emails and calendars and having that app open when you lock your phone. Then it will be front and centre when you unlock your phone.

Last edited:

hidehide

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
He is a nice guy.. but notified pro is much better than mobilenotifier...
Why Apple didn't hire notified pro developer instead...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Pointless! The notification is still in the way! People aren't getting it. I think the only way to do notifications correctly is to use the menu bar or as webOS does so. You shouldn't have to click 'Later' or whatever to get the notification out of the way of the screen.

dude u got no idea, when ur running in app it doesnt get in the way at all, just a little bar pops up at the top of the screen showing that u got something new, but it doesnt pause or anything what ur currently doing and it goes away by itself after a few seconds

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Dunno about that one. Definitely a step in a better direction though.

I tell you what, the lock screen is what is on my radar for this latest update. Check out lockscreeninfo on Cydia.

twilson

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
So maybe this will make Apple appreciate the value that the Jailbreaking community and "unsanctioned" developers like Mr.Hajas bring to the table?

Perhaps they will even becomea bit less gung-ho about in closing off JB opportunities and make the future iOS devices a bit more "open" to experimental developers? Ah, who am I kidding!

As long as we continue to see "nn" apps hosting malware removed from Android Marketplace, I highly doubt it.

Control is still very much needed, and iOS/mac os x malware is on the rise.

twilson

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
dude u got no idea, when ur running in app it doesnt get in the way at all, just a little bar pops up at the top of the screen showing that u got something new, but it doesnt pause or anything what ur currently doing and it goes away by itself after a few seconds

Yes, a little bar pops up and gets in the way of part of the screen, having used it when my phone was jail broken, I can happily say it's pretty much as annoying as the modal notifications, except iT doesn't pause app/game when content is obscured.

lfc

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
Australia
Yes, a little bar pops up and gets in the way of part of the screen, having used it when my phone was jail broken, I can happily say it's pretty much as annoying as the modal notifications, except iT doesn't pause app/game when content is obscured.

You haven't seen or used beta 5 then. It doesn't obscure the screen at all ;)

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Apple should fire their in house devs and hire devs from jailbreaking community.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Apple should fire their in house devs and hire devs from jailbreaking community.

Ummm... nothing wrong with the InHouse developer other than being maybe a bit thinly spread. Did does sound like JB community is proving a good training ground.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

twilson said:

well ... how else is a "notification" system supposed to inform u when ur running an app?

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
So, Apple probably would love to be able to sue those jailbreaking sites but they can't since they have been ruled to be perfectly legal. Nice try though to try and keep up the image of Apple as being all customers white knight in shining armour

I have next to no interest in defending Apple or maintaining some image of them. They're a big corporate entity that wants my money. No delusions there.

But you're missing the forest for the trees. Yes, Apple pursued the DMCA route and various other claims of copyright infringement against jailbreaking but that doesn't discount the idea that all of those avenues were pursued more out of a desire to establish a legal boundary where they are not liable for users rendering their devices unusable. That's not so far-fetched. When you read about what Apple was doing, the EULA and their concerns about users damaging the product were part of all that. It struck me as legal CYA, and only an attack on jailbreaking insofar as that activity might come back around to bite Apple financially. If your jailbreaking users eff their iPhones up royally, do they have a right to file class action lawsuits against you when the guy at the genius bar refuses to help? No... not if you've clearly established the legal boundaries, not if you've established that the terms of your EULA can stand.

And you're right. They can't sue those jailbreaking sites for jailbreaking per se but who knows what else might be going on with some of those sites. Surely, not everything going on at every jailbreaking site is 100% legal and Apple could go after those if they chose. And there's a lot they could have done by now with hardware and software updates that would discourage jailbreaking.

I stand by my theory. Apple doesn't give a rip about jailbreaking as long as it's clear it can't harm them financially.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
So, Apple probably would love to be able to sue those jailbreaking sites but they can't since they have been ruled to be perfectly legal. Nice try though to try and keep up the image of Apple as being all customers white knight in shining armour

They had years prior to the LoC exceptions were made to sue jailbreakers and never did. They might not like them much, but they also don't seem to really care.

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

well ... how else is a "notification" system supposed to inform u when ur running an app?

Good point.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Take a look at the latest update to MobileNotifer that came out a couple week ago. Much better than the version shown in the video.

Notifications now "push down" the rest of your screen, so nothing is obstructed with a slimmer bar (compared to the video) at the top with the notification. It disappears after 3-4 seconds if you do not open or dismiss it.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Take a look at the latest update to MobileNotifer that came out a couple week ago. Much better than the version shown in the video.

Notifications now "push down" the rest of your screen, so nothing is obstructed with a slimmer bar (compared to the video) at the top with the notification. It disappears after 3-4 seconds if you do not open or dismiss it.
That's what we've been trying to tell people but no one is reading the thread before posting and arn still hasn't updated the video to reflect what is current.

haven't found it yet.
Haven't found what yet?

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Being a notified pro user I much prefer it to mobilenotifier (yes the lastest beta). Scrolling statusbar notifications plus lockinfo infoshade for a notifications window comes close to android. Sadly it's not compatible with bitesms quick reply and doesn't seem like the dev will incorporate it any time soon. This is why I use the infoshade over the notified shade: so tapping sms notifications open bitesms quick reply. But it'd be nice if I could tap the notification directly for this function.

As for the hiring, it's nice someone from the JB community is catching apple' attention. But like others have mentioned:

1) hopefully this doesn't mean there isn't a notifications system out yet for ios5

2) the mobilenotifier system isn't what we will see because personally find it clunky. You'd think the webos guy would already have designed something just as good if not better by now (I personally love webos notifications). I guess we'll know tomorrow...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.