Apple Having Trouble Signing New Carriers Because of iPhone Subsidy and Minimum Purchase Requirements

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 6, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple is missing the opportunity to reach 2.8 billion wireless customers because of their stringent requirements around minimum purchases of iPhones and price subsidies, according to a report from Bloomberg.

In order to carry the iPhone, Apple has strict requirements for carriers. One such requirement relates to minimum purchase agreements, which regional U.S. postpaid carrier Cricket has had some trouble meeting this year.

Some smaller carriers, especially those in emerging markets, have difficulties paying the pricey subsidies that Apple's $600 iPhones require. The rumors about a cheaper, plastic iPhone could address some of these issues, especially for those countries where subsidies are nearly unheard of and customers routinely pay for their phones up front.
    Apple is rumored to be designing a lower-cost iPhone with a colored plastic shell, with one analyst expecting the device to be released this fall. This correlates somewhat with hints about future products that Apple CEO Tim Cook gave during his Q2 2013 earnings call last month.

Article Link: Apple Having Trouble Signing New Carriers Because of iPhone Subsidy and Minimum Purchase Requirements
  2. macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    Not really that surprised, even in the UK new iPhones released usually have a more expensive contract up front price compared to flagship phones of other OS's on release.
  3. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Requiring a minimum purchase seems silly to me. Having the iPhone set up with an exclusive carrier made since until the 2nd iPhone was released. After that, it is just a douche move by a major corporation. Apple should really drop the minimum purchase requirement and allow the iPhone on all carriers as long as the current hardware supports said carrier. What would the harm be in doing that?
  4. macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Didn't realize that there are so much countries where phones are tied to carriers. I thought it was only US kind of stuff.
  5. macrumors 68030

Oct 19, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    In other news, Tiffany & Co. is missing out on 200 billion consumers who cannot afford their high priced gold, silver and diamond jewelry.
  6. macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2010
    macrumors apparently
    how many reports before analysts become an epidemic?
  7. macrumors 603

Apr 21, 2003
    Apple is not a luxury brand.
  8. macrumors member

May 4, 2013
    A cheaper iPhone will win more customers. But plastic? how many hundreds of dollars does that aluminum cost?
  9. macrumors regular

Oct 30, 2011
    oh boy...the whole world is coming to an end...
  10. macrumors Pentium

Jun 22, 2009
    If companies are held to their agreements and they aren't moving the phones - while "good" for Apple that it means units sold. But it's deceptive reporting (if they count them) to imply that the phones are in the hands of customers.
  11. macrumors demi-god

Feb 26, 2011
    New England, USA

In the field of phones, laptops, tablets,etc., if Apple isn't a luxury brand, who is?:confused:
  12. macrumors 601

Jul 11, 2008
    Over millions of devices, it adds up to be alot.
  13. macrumors 601

Jul 4, 2007
    Denver Colorado
    The iPhone stopped being a luxury brand when the price dropped from $599 for the original to the tiered pricing they have now. They are no more expensive then buying any other phone. I bought a Nexus 4 for $349.

iPad Mini has also stopped the iPad from being so much a luxury brand. $329 for a mini. I bought a Nexus 7 for $300 with cellular.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2008
    Wouldn't it create an environment where the carrier goes all in to sell the iPhone and market it well since they are now committed?

Seems like a sound plan.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Aug 6, 2008
    If Wall Street had an uproar over Apples already extraordinarily high margins dropping slightly recently, how exactly are they going to react when Apple has to further lower margins to get this lower-priced (but not cheap), potentially higher volume iPhone into market?

Seems everyone wants it both ways. They paint a doomsday scenario because of Apples ridiculous margins dropping a tad, but then they keep yelling to lower prices and target the lower end of the market. Seems like Apple can't win.

I'd say they're doing just fine.
  16. macrumors 603

Apr 21, 2003
    iPhones are priced consistently with other high end phones.

Apple computers inners are made of standard components. Its laptops are based around the same price as gaming laptops ( but without the graphics - and less hard disc space ).

In 2013 Apple is a consumer brand. Not a luxury brand.

Does there need to be a luxury brand?
  17. macrumors 6502a

Aug 6, 2008
    Its not the raw material, its the machining and precision assembly. Holy cow, when will you people understand that? A 20% increase in machine cost adds up to billions of dollars when they're shipping 100s of millions a year.
  18. macrumors 601

Jul 11, 2008
    This is why I believe Apple keeps it's prices artificially high. $100 just to go from a 16GB iPhone to 32GB is absurd. It should more like $50. But I guess if they push iTunes content enough, you'll opted for the "it's only $100 more" thinking and pad Apple's coffers.
  19. macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    Making a plastic shell via Injection molding only costs pennies, once the molds are machined.

Machined aluminium shells, on the other hand... well, you see the problem. With plastic, you use machining to make the mold once but with aluminium you need to machine each shell one by one.

Even at the quantities that Apple needs, it's probably a few dozen cents for a plastic shell versus a few dollars for an aluminium shell.
  20. M-O
    macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2011
    the iPhone 5 is $650. the iPad mini with cellular is $560 (32gb version for matching specs to your Nexus 7).

Apple is a luxury brand.
  21. macrumors regular

Nov 14, 2011
    So every tablet/smartphone manufacturer has its own boutique style store with a huge employee to customer ratio and 10 minute paperless device replacement process?

Apple is absolutely everything one would expect when it comes to a "luxury brand".
  22. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I'm saying that requiring a minimum purchase is silly and your reason is just another reason. They already require the minimum purchase so sound plan or not, it is the plan.
  23. macrumors 65816

Feb 25, 2009
    Om nom nom nom
    Apple has to curtail this issue because of Android/Samsung's huge push for their subsidizing culture.
  24. macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    I think it is.
  25. macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2012
    if you can buy it at Walmart, it's not a luxury brand.