Apple headphones

Discussion in 'iPod' started by tinydragon123, May 31, 2006.

1. tinydragon123 macrumors member

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is answered before but I could not get a clear understanding about replacing iPod headphones.

I cracked my iPod headphones from sitting on it, so it was accidental damage. I was wondering if I am able to replace it at the Apple store or online.

I called 2 apple stores and one said I could not replace the headphones since I broke them by accident and the other one told me to go online to depot.info.apple.com to get a form.

I am confused. Can someone please help me? I am still under warrantyand my iPod has been with me for 6 months.

Thank you.

2. luckylisp macrumors 6502

Well, since you damaged them technically the warranty doesn't cover that. However, the form they spoke of is here:

http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/

(see #5 and send in form)

they very well may send you another pair to replace them. If you say you damaged them they may charge you for them, or maybe they won't, I can't say really. It might just depend on who handles it. Other then doing it that way, I don't believe you can buy the stock apple ear buds in the store.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

since your broke them its not covered. Don't bother getting another pair of apple headphones. Get some extra cash and get the shure e2cs or better. you'll thank me later :D ;)

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

It will be covered under "normal usage" terms. Just don't tell them you sat on it, go to an Apple store and tell them you can't hear anything from them anymore. Bring your warranty card, and they'll replace it.

irmongoose

5. tinydragon123 thread starter macrumors member

There's a little crack on the left earbud. Do you think they'll be suspcious or anything if I just send using depot.info.apple.com? I'm afraid they might charge me $19 for the earbuds if they see that one of my earbuds are cracked a little.

The two apple stores i know seem to not have the earbuds at their store to replace my damaged ones so all I have is the internet form.

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they'll just send the new ones to you since it's still under warranty. Even if some prick does decide to charge you, you should be notified beforehand, and you will be able to refuse payment and they'll just send it back to you. Nothing to lose, I guess.

irmongoose

7. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Do they replace them right in the store, or are they mailed?

8. luckylisp macrumors 6502

If you do it via the form, I believe they're mailed.

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

If you do the online repair, they repair/replace and mail it to you. If you go to an Apple store, they just replace it right there on the spot.

irmongoose

10. tinydragon123 thread starter macrumors member

Are you sure they'll notify me?

11. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

How would they bill you? They won't have your credit card number or anything.

I've done the same before (different product), they notified me, and I had them send it back as is because I didn't want to pay.

irmongoose

12. tinydragon123 thread starter macrumors member

all righty.i'll try it. thank you.

13. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

sometimes they ask for a credit card number.... but they dont care about the headphones.. they know their headphones are crap

14. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

I would just use the broken ones as an excuse to get some decent headphones if I was you.

Get some nice Etymotics or Shures or the like. The sound is so much better it's bloody unbelievable.

15. tektonnic macrumors 6502

tektonnic

I bought my Video iPod in January 06, the left earphone is now crackling all the time, is this covered in the UK, can I get replacements? How?

16. sdcacevedo macrumors newbie

its just too easy.. :)

haha, i used to request earbud replacements all the time.. all you have to do is go to the apple depto site to request a replacement and just type in that they started to sound bad (covered under warranty) and they will send you new earbubs.. what they don't tell you is that they never ask for the broken ones back.. they don't need to know that you broke them.. just request new ones from the site and that is it.. simple as that, you can just toss the broken ones in the garbage.. hope this works out for you.. :-D

17. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

How much is a new pair of standard headphones?

18. 3kids macrumors regular

If you go to the form you will receive a new pair of headphones(very quickly!) They have a prepaid return label attached to send the broken ones back. It papers included said if you don't retur the broken ones they will charge the credit card $19. If you do return them and they deem it not covered by warranty they will charge you $18. You must provide a credit card on the form to get the order processes.

I could find no other way to get the replacement ear buds than to go through that form.

19. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

20. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I have some of these and the sound/build quality etc is indeed extremely impressive.

I did prefer my sony ex71 (?) headphones that they replaced in some respects for the lack of fiddlyness when putting them though.

21. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

The sound quality is rubbish. That sounds like a lot. The Sony's can't be that much more over there?

22. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

You can get headphones for $2.99 in RadioShack

23. sdcacevedo macrumors newbie

fyi: i have requested many apple earbuds in the past and they have never requested i send the broken ones back... :)