Apple helping M$???????

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bunton, Jul 25, 2002.

1. bunton macrumors member

The ipod for windows? Steve Jobs thinks it can be the little toy that pc users get and relize they should switch?

Is he on coke??? The ipod is a mp3 player that has not much to do with Apple the company computers or OS besides they make it.

That is like saying if I buy a sony cd player and it looks good and works nicely than I will go buy a Tritintron sony HDTV and drop my 60 inch tobisha!

Instead of working on that dIepod for the pc'ers how about you take the money you spent on that to give us back our itools or not have to pay over 100 bucks for a os update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop giving Windows a hand Job for fun and give your customers a blow job.

2. Quark macrumors regular

I disagree

I think that the Complete experience is what is being pushed.

To the WinTel world, it's the best MP3 player, but it still has all of the problems/downfalls of using it on a WinTel machine.

WinTel users don't have iTunes and don't have support for Audible.com files (not that big of a deal, yet).

Just to let you know, I was one of those that switched, in part because of that Experience - iTunes & iPod was 50% of why I switched.

Besides, I don't think Steve does coke, I think he likes Pepsi.:p

Quark

3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

I think that the goal is to just get something with an Apple logo into people's hands who would never ordinarily buy a mac. I forsee this working, because the MP3 player market is slowing right now, and Apple needs to expand to the whole market, and not just cater the iPod to mac users.

-Pete

4. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Sorry about the double post but...

the iPod has very many other uses than mp3 player that the wintel machines can't take advantage of. This alone might drive more mac sales in a few months.

-Pete

5. elensil macrumors regular

Its probably much simpler, Apple just has a pretty large profit margin on iPods. So they decided to sell as much of them as possible. Hell ye, they are even advertised on Rock Concerts. (Dio, Scorpions, Peep Purple @ New York) Hows that for marketing strategy:D

6. ivtrk macrumors newbie

7. ponyboy macrumors regular

Re: Apple helping M$???????

Quit being a little whiney beeotch. Over 100 bucks for an OS update OMG I cant believe it that is outragous!!!!!!! Get over it you live in a world where people run businesses and need to make some cake. And dont go into how you supported a beta OS, if you felt it was a beta you should have waited till now to upgrade. As far as the ipod not being a tool for conversion you are wrong I know 2 people personally who have switched after having thier ipods for awhile.

8. djniche macrumors regular

Pc users realize how well the ipod was design and how great it works. From software to the menu buttons - It's the best mp3 player device out there. As i write this I have my ipod in front of me at work..... People that use it love it and this is a great way of showing how well MAC products are made.

If you have a good experience with a product you are very likely to try out the other products the company makes. This is where my experience comes in. I've converted two other people. My girlfriend saw my ipod and love it. I gave her one on her birthday and now she loves the MAC! not just the ipod.... I hear her say now why can't I have the beautiful aqua mac Os X at work and I would be so much more efficient. I would never see the many crashes a day by windows... She's now getting herself a 17" imac. All because of the Ipod!

This experience will repeat itself I'm sure by many pc users and this is what Apple is doing by having the ipod for windows.

9. movabi macrumors member

I agree

apple hardware simply costs too much and after buying the machine little is left for software or a monitor or.....

I will bitch as much as I want because I happen to be a working stiff that wants to save money for other things other than a computer and not feel like I'm getting the shaft. I really feel sorry for those people who bought an ipod with 5-10 gbs.... they got the shaft big time just like I will be after putting in my order later next week (g4 dual gigahertz)when apple will release specs officially on its new desktop lines just in time for the holiday season. They won't even throw in Jaguar for me... what crock.

:confused:

10. ponyboy macrumors regular

Re: I agree

Dont feel sorry for me I have a 5 gig ipod and it is still kicking and serving me fine. I have over 20 gigs of music on my computer but my ipod is for the ggod stuff ie playlists. I dont know what I would do with a 20 gig portable. But I do feel sorry for you if you do go ahead and order that machine next week. You cant wait 3 weeks just to see? Even if you dont need what is coming out the one you are planning on buying now will be slashed...and youll get Jaguar, hell even if you dont wait you'll still get it for 20 bucks.

11. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Re: I agree

If it really did cost too much, you wouldn't buy it.

And you will get Jaguar. Read a little more. Whine a little less. ;)

Chris

12. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Re: I disagree

I doubt it considering Skulley (former Pepsi CEO) ousted him from Apple ;)

Bill

13. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

How are PC users going to buy iPods? True some will buy online, but many will visit their local Apple stores and while there look around. Perhaps when they recognize how much better the iPod experience is on a Mac (contacts, iCal, etc.) they might purchase a Mac they otherwise would not have considered had they not been drawn in by this PC-compatible "breakthrough digital music device." Just my two cents,

Bill

14. donnieb macrumors newbie

screw me, screw u

I think the iPod is snApple's way of getting back at Microsuck and their outrageously priced Office software for the Mac. If you can't beat em, just steal back some of the revenue.

15. 3777 macrumors 6502

ugh

I don't think Aplle's doing this for any of the reasons mentioned.... not to convert people, or $crew microsoft, or attract buyers..... I just think Steve Jobs realizes that, like it or not, PC users make up 90% of the market ......and he wants Apple to make a $heetload of money selling a $heetload of ipods. ......that's just my best guess though.....?:confused:

16. bunton thread starter macrumors member

SORRY FREINDS

God Damn I didn't want to start a war but I see now something I never saw before.

Apple will get these pc user in the store, just in the store and that might bring some more switches, that is all they want and I never thought about that. But will the pc ipods only be at Apple stores or no, besides online obviously!

Im not a whinney bitch, I am a BS filmer.

And about the coke thing, pepsi is better and Steve Jobs is a good man, sorry!!!!!!!
    Code:
    Pepsi VS Coke

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Has anyone else noticed that if you buy the PC version of the iPod, you can only use it on a PC? Same thing with the Mac version. It won't work on a PC. I was thinking of getting one with my new Tower (any time now), but I have a PC too. Maybe I'll buy the Mac version and look into Media Four's offering - if it still exists.

But I'd be pissed if I bought a PC iPod, and liked it so much that I bought a Mac, only to find out I couldn't use it on my new computer.

Maybe they'll offer a switch or upgrade option.

BTW - anyone know how to record on to an iPod, with, like, a microphone? For dictation and such. Is it possible yet? Do you think they'll add it as an option?