Apple helping M$???????

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by bunton, Jul 25, 2002.

1. bunton macrumors member

The ipod for windows? Steve Jobs thinks it can be the little toy that pc users get and relize they should switch?

Is he on coke??? The ipod is a mp3 player that has not much to do with Apple the company computers or OS besides they make it.

That is like saying if I buy a sony cd player and it looks good and works nicely than I will go buy a Tritintron sony HDTV and drop my 60 inch tobisha!

Instead of working on that dIepod for the pc'ers how about you take the money you spent on that to give us back our itools or not have to pay over 100 bucks for a os update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop giving Windows a hand Job for fun and give your customers a blow job.

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

3. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i thought i saw this post like a week ago but there were more replies to it :p :S

4. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Re: Apple helping M$???????

Well, actually if Apple had released a pc iPod sooner, we would have benefited from it already, and X.2 would have been an up-to-date upgrade for all X.1 users!

I think that Apple should release more of these things for pc users, that way they will experience that Apple products are indeed is nicer, easier,... than every other wintel product.
    That has 2 great pro's:
    1. More people will make the switch
    2. Apple should use the profit made from wintel sales for significant rebates for mac-users.

5. F/reW/re macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

Just make OSX for wintels and we will all be happy!!

6. j763 macrumors 6502a

ROTFLMAO... Yeah, LoL, that's a good one...

7. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

No way! no X on wintel!

8. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

WE? Are you schizophrenic?

9. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

The iPod looks amazing. A lot of people don't know anything about Apple. A lot don't even know the flat panel or the old imac are apple's. So if you can get a bunch of peecee users walking around with an Apple logo let's go for it :) No one is going to buy a new computer for an mp3 player so ;/

10. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

where can you get an iPod?? the same place you get Macs. if you are going to get an iPod, you'd be hardpressed to get one without getting a LITTLE exposure to the beautiful world of Mac. for 90% of all the people i switched over as a salesperson at CompUSA, all I really had to do was bring them to the Mac section. It sells itself. That is what Jobs is counting on. Of course it doesnt mean everyone who buys an iPod will buy a Mac. BUT, they will see the macs, and the next time they shop for a computer, hopefully the Mac will come to mind as a viable option.

11. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

two words: Cash Cow

There is also a such thing as the bottom line that Apple needs to consider. Apple, like all the other computer makers, is hurting right now. They need to find whatever revenue stream they can. The iPod, if it sells well like everyone predicts, will generate a ton of cash for Apple. And that cash can go into R&D for Mac hardware and software. Everyone wins.

Also, the PC iPod experience won't be nearly as good, as I understand it. No iTunes 3 with smart play lists, etc.

Wouldn't it be great if every PC iPod came with this thick, slick brochure that details how much better the digital hub experience is on a Mac?

12. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

X on wintel...

Well see if OS X was on a wintel, the wintel will crash like all PCs with any OS (except the mac) , so if X crashes on the wintel, OS X won't be OS X....

13. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Re: two words: Cash Cow

Very true about the bottom line. Do you know how dell, the only other pee-cee company making money in these hard times is still making money? They're laying off thousands of their 38000 person workforce. dell alone has risen the unemployment rate in Austin, TX. It's funny, since they have such a low overhead on their computers, the only place to cut costs is by firing tons of employees. And the thing about it, is that the employees don't get anything special. But, when the economy's doing well again, dell will start hiring again... It's sad, that a company has to hack it's own limbs off just to 'scam' above the competition...

I like how Steve Jobs puts it. "There are only two computer companies making money, and it's us and dell. We're making money by innovating, and they're making money by being wal-mart..."

14. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Re: Re: two words: Cash Cow

Well, I wouldn't get so romantic about how Apple is weathering the storm. They are charging people $50-100 for .Mac and $130 for Jaguar. While I'm willing to go along with these charges, it's a couple notches above what Apple normally charges for software & services.

15. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Re: Re: Apple helping M$???????

Stole the words right out of my mouth! :p

16. medea macrumors 68030

medea

it's true, if wintel users buy an iPod it's going to peek their interests in Apple more and more, there is not way this will hurt Apple because I doubt there are many people who were going to buy a Mac just so they could use an iPod before (though most of them probably dreamt about it from time to time.)
    -Richard