apple hi-fi?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr. Ectomy, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Mr. Ectomy macrumors newbie

So I have a iMac 20" Core Duo. If I buy the Hi-Fi, can I just plunk it in another room in the house to listen to my iTunes, or do I have to buy special wires/adapters/software? My iMac has Airport already on it.

Thanks for any input...

2. Tmog macrumors member

You need to hook up Airport express to the Apple HiFi. It is made to fit the iPod, but to connect a Mac you mustto use the digital line in/attach Airport Express.

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

What about a direct, wired connection? Do you still need an Airport Express?

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

No you don't need an Airport then. Just an appropriate audiocable.

5. Mr. Ectomy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply.

so the airport hooked up to the hi-fi is what, another $100, on top of the cost of the hi-fi?

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Basically.

7. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

8. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

I find this post to be impractical.

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I find the iPod Hi-Fi to be sex.

10. Mr. Ectomy thread starter macrumors newbie

rock my socks,

why do you find it impractical? not worth the cost?

11. tomokun macrumors member

tomokun

I really dont see it to be worth $300. I have tried the store version, and I prefer my (cheaper) JBL Creature II's.

12. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

Everyone has their own views on different things,and I don't find that it is worth the money. It is too much money for speakers IMO.

13. wako macrumors 65816

I agree, the speakers are very nice, however they cost way too much. They definately do have pretty good sound quality, but it lacks too much in features to be worth more than 200.

If it had the Airport thing built into it, I would've definately bought one on day one.

14. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

$300 is a but much for speakers, yes, but it has a charging dock bulit in, and of course, like all Apple products, you do pay for the name, and for the look.

I'm looking into buying a Hi-fi as well, before I go to school in September. I need some speakers badly, and these are attractive.

JBL's Creatures are nice, too.

15. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

Prepare thyself

16. blackout8 macrumors member

that.is.amazing

seriously, the best looking speakers i've ever seen... even the best looking electronic equipment ever :eek:

how much??!?

17. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

Those beautiful Duevel Jupiters run about $27,000 a pair and the B&W Nautilus are $16,000 a pair. A buddy has a pair of 802Ds (I think they are 802Ds) for audio mastering that sound amazing.

18. macpastor macrumors regular

macpastor

I purchased a refresh HiFi for $250... I would pay $350 for it because this thing sound awesome. I listen to many flavors of music and I have been impressed every time. I have classical, and then I switch to dance, it pumps out the base, and highlights a violin. I find it to evenly spread the sound through the living room/dining room/kitchen in our home.

I have a $2,000 system in the family room that I listen to 90% less since I have my HiFi. If it wasn't for the DTS & 5.1 on my DVD's, I would sell the main system and get another HiFi.

19. Tmog macrumors member

I have had a lot of speakers, amp's and so forth. But the iPod HiFi is actually the set I have enjoyed most to use. It sounds okay but it is not a hi end stereo and therefore very cheap (yes I think it is cheap, remember you are buying sound, not a fancy electronic gadget) and you have all, well most, of your music right at your fingertips. And finally it looks great........

20. Tmog macrumors member

I have had a lot of speakers, amp's and so forth. But the iPod HiFi is actually the set I have enjoyed most to use. It sounds okay but it is not a hi end stereo and therefore very cheap (yes I think it is cheap, remember you are buying sound, not a fancy electronic gadget) and you have all, well most, of your music right at your fingertips. And finally it looks great........

21. blackout8 macrumors member

is that all! well in that case i'll take 2 sets (i'm sure they'll make a nice gift somewhere along the line)

:eek: heh time to start saving now then i guess :eek:

... and all of a sudden the iHiFi looks like a great deal :rolleyes: (and yes i know you can't compare them its just a joke haha)

22. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yeah, the audiophile world can get pretty ridiculous. I like to aim for the low end of that market. A pair of Thiel CS3.6's ($4300 a pair) and a good amp+source would do me just fine.

But I still look at Linn's CD-1 Sondek and think... "You know, if I had the $20,000 to spend on a CD player... I would."

23. Mr. Ectomy thread starter macrumors newbie

well, for the practicality of my situation, i think the hi-fi would be okay. I live in a 2-br condo loft. My iMac is upstairs in the loft, and the only place I can't hear my music is in the back downstairs bedroom, so the hi-fi would only be required to fill the space of one 12x12 room. Are there any other (reasonably priced - like under $500) speakers available that can link with an Apple computer or is the hi-fi the only one?

24. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Get an airport express and you can plug any speakers you want into it.

25. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

It is a shame the Hi-Fi doesn't have an Airport Express built into it.

Here are a couple of suggestions if you are looking at around $500

1) Just go for the Airport Express and the Hi-Fi since you know they are going to work well and they offer some nice extras and a great deal of portability.

2) The Hi-Fi and the Sqeezebox .

3) The Squeezebox or the Airport Express and a pair of powered speakers like the M-Audio BX5a. Check online retailers for much better prices.

All things condisered, if it were up to me, I'd go for choice #2, though it'll put you over your budget, maybe, depending on online prices.

You could probably get better sound out of speakers other than the Hi-Fi, but considering everything it does, I'm betting the Hi-Fi is a deal at the end of the day. It has fantastic portability, looks great, has a small footprint, you don't have to deal with a bunch of wires and I'm guessing it produces a nice sound.

The Squeezebox has some really nice software and a great interface. The Airport Express is nice, but the Squeezebox is a much better solution to moving audio across your place and, I think, it has the longevity that I find the Airport Express to lack.

Someone just posted a link to these, in another thread. They might be worth investigating.