Apple Hires Senior OLED Expert from LG Display

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has hired a senior researcher in organic light-emitting diode (OLED) display technology from LG, reports OLED-Info (via BrightWire), potentially signaling renewed interest in the technology.
    [​IMG]

OLED has a number of advantages over LCD screens, including brighter colors with deeper blacks, wider viewing angles, faster response times and greater power efficiency. The technology is also being used to develop flexible screens, something that Apple has shown interest in, although it is unknown if the company has any concrete plans to bring a product featuring such technology to market.

Apple has been rumored to be looking at OLED technology for many years, but cost issues and other limitations have so far kept the company tied to LCD technology for its products.

Article Link: Apple Hires Senior OLED Expert from LG Display

2. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Having an entirely flexible iOS device could be interesting... if it's able to simply fold over itself, you could flex it to be any size... everyone could be happy... although I suppose that's probably still a long ways away...

3. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Is it bad that as soon as I hear the words: LG and Screen I think of image retention? rMBP...

4. macrumors 65816

slffl

Obviously for the iWatch. I hope they solve the neon greens and blue whites that are in the Samsung OLEDs. I can't stand the way those look!

5. macrumors regular

Jamo12

I find it odd that they do this. They, arguably, have the best display on any phone. Time will tell I guess. Unless IGZO is an OLED tech? I haven't looked it up enough to know

6. macrumors 6502

OLED isn't suitable for the iPhone quite yet, but it will be eventually.

(Also, it's a shame that the buying public seems to prefer OLED's artificial-looking, blown out, oversaturated colours over LCD's natural colours.)

7. macrumors 68020

Squilly

LG has too many issues for me to want to trust them... not only in Apple products.

8. macrumors member

LCDs are my preference. OLEDs usually look bad (on my Galaxy Nexus, the Note II, my RAZR Maxx, S3, and tons of other less popular devices. And white screens decrease power efficiency a ton! I switched Twitter clients and backgrounds and keyboards to help show more black and less greys, whites, and colors. iPhones 4+, my iPad 3, the Droid DNA, One X, and other LCDs look much better.

----------

IGZO is LCD tech. The Droid DNA uses it, increasing its power efficiency, even with whites and colors to much lower than OLED. Even with a 1080p panel.

9. macrumors regular

I hope they come up with some exciting new products!

10. macrumors G5

I find it a shame that most people are duped into thinking that HD is all about pixel/screen size and fail to consider bitrate. And that netflix, Apple, hulu, etc all market their products as HD (which technically they are) and the buying public thinks they are getting the same quality as blu-ray.

But what can you do?

11. macrumors 65816

SockRolid

Apple received a patent on OLED panel production on Feb. 5, 2013.
    That in itself isn't proof of anything. Patents are cheap. But once in a while,
    Apple patents something that they actually do use in products.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...abrication-compass-calibration-much-more.html

12. macrumors regular

First thing thats comes to my mind is instantly TVs... no one else?

13. macrumors 6502a

Glassed Silver

I missed the word "IPS" in the article somewhere. *phew*

Glassed Silver:mac

14. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The OLED technology could be coming in a HDTV.

I was at CES and saw LG, Panasonic and Samsungs (Curved OLED) OLED displays and they looked absolutely fantastic.

15. macrumors 68020

IGZO is the technology used to make transistors behind the panel so it could be used for OLED. But we already have LTPS being used for both OLED and LCD and LTPS is better than IGZO in many ways.

The main advantage of IGZO for LTPS is that it's cheaper and easier for large panels but it's actually not as good as the currently used technology for the phones despite some hype that make it sound as if IGZO is the best one. For iPad IGZO is a big news but for iPhones, not so much.

I think eventually we'll have OLED for phones but at this point I much prefer the LCD since OLED hasn't matured fully yet in too many aspects.

16. macrumors G5

nagromme

Makes sense that they keep on top of the tech. Looks nice in total darkness (not so good in sunlight), if you don't want accurate color--which I'd think software could help with.

But I hope the longevity and yellowing (over time) issues have been solved before Apple considers selling OLED.

And please, never ever do Pentile!

17. macrumors member

IMO, in terms of colour accuracy, IPS is better than OLED/AMOLED/and few others related to OLED.

Worse still, it seems that OLED-related displays tend to have display burn-in issue. Take Samsung Galaxy SII and SIII as examples, on the web you can find many users complaining they have this problem.

But I don't know whether OLED technology is a must for designing flexible displays.

18. macrumors 6502

Having seen IGZO, I have 0 interest in OLED.

19. ConCat, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013

macrumors 6502a

ConCat

An OLED display contains fish semen. You be the judge.

Good luck on getting a straight answer on what the "O" in "OLED" means though. Most sources simply define it as "genetic material". :p

Oh yes, here's an old article I can cite. Cheers: Salmon Sperm Used to Intensify LEDs Grossify Everyone

20. macrumors 6502a

coder12

Do they have a way of manufacturing flexible processors yet? That would be cool!

21. macrumors 6502a

The best screen I own including a 63" plasma, an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5, is the OLED on my Playstation Vita

22. macrumors 68000

BC2009

Brighter Colors? I don't think so. This is its weakness versus IPS LCD.

Deeper Blacks? Yes

Wider Viewing Angles? Seriously? Greater than 178 degrees? Is it 178.5?

Faster Response Times? Yes

Greater Power Efficiency? Yes

23. macrumors 68020

It's not the display technology that makes color more or less accurate.

It's the manner in which they are controlled in software.

To be accurate. There's no reason that an OLED screen can't look as accurate as an LCD or plasma for that matter, if we're talking something larger like an HDTV.

24. macrumors member

OLED usually can cover a wider gamut to colors. The problem is that images are designed for a different, smaller profile.

Viewing angle specifications are more worthless at describing how a monitor outputs light than a GHZ rating is for describing how a processor performs. I think the 178 degree is a measure of when the contrast ratio or brightness gets to 10% of their original values, or something like that. An OLED display has much less brightness falloff as the viewing angle changes.

25. macrumors 68000

BC2009

Interesting stuff.

I just read in another comment that Samsung keeps the brightness down on their OLED smartphones to conserve battery life. Can OLED get brighter with geometrically or exponentially higher power consumption? In practice, every OLED screen I see on a smartphone has terrible brightness and white levels. The contrast ratios are only so high because the black levels are so darn good.