Apple Hires Two Former Nike FuelBand Engineers, Possibly for iWatch Team

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 8, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this year, Nike significantly downsized its FuelBand team, firing several members of the 80-person team that worked to create its well-known fitness tracker as part of a shift from hardware to software.

Apple snapped up two of the former FuelBand team members in June, Ryan Bailey and Jon Gale. As noted by 9to5Mac, Bailey, who served as a Senior Test and Validation Engineer at Nike is now listed as a Mechanical Design Engineer at Apple, while Gale, who was a Senior Firmware Engineer at Nike is now employed as a Sensing Systems Engineer at Apple.

According to his LinkedIn profile, Bailey specialized in wearable device and consumer electronic product development, focused on providing engineering recommendations to major engineering leads. Gale, meanwhile, developed hardware and firmware architectures for Nike Digital Sport products.
    It is unclear if Gale and Bailey have joined Apple's wearables team to work on the iWatch, but it is a distinct possibility given their expertise on wearable devices. Apple offers many positions under the job titles of Mechanical Design Engineer and Sensing Systems Engineer, however, so it is unknown exactly what the two are working on.

Over the course of the past year, Apple has hired several experts in the health and fitness fields to join its iWatch team, including fitness guru Jay Blahnik, sleep expert Roy Raymann, pulse oximetry expert and former Chief Medical Officer Michael O'Reilly, and several other scientists and executives from notable sensor companies like AccuVein, C8 MediSensors, and Senseonics. Most recently, the company took on the former sales director of luxury watch brand TAG Heuer, Patrick Pruniaux, possibly to help market the iWatch.

According to a recent report from The Wall Street Journal, Apple's upcoming wearable device will feature 10 different sensors to track various health and fitness metrics. It's said to integrate heavily with the Health app in iOS 8, and it may come in both multiple sizes and multiple designs to satisfy a wide range of tastes. Apple is expected to introduce the iWatch at an October event.

Article Link: Apple Hires Two Former Nike FuelBand Engineers, Possibly for iWatch Team
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2014
    tim cook is the eric schmidt in nike's board room?
  3. dleute, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2008

let's hope the iWatch has wireless charging and is waterproof. both are likely deal breakers for me. Having to take out and charge *another* device will just get annoying.
  4. macrumors 68020

Jan 5, 2012
    Sounds more and more like it will be announced this year but not released until 2015. Which is fair enough.
  5. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    Well I hope the iWatch firmware is more reliable than the Fuel Band firmware. This year alone there was a New Years time sync glitch where it repeatedly pushed a notice to the iPhone that the band and phone time was out of sync and then in the spring there was a travel zone glitch where it would add points when traveling between two or more time zones.
  6. macrumors demi-god

Jun 9, 2007
    Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.

So Apple hired some of the few people that Nike thought were not worth keeping?

(j/k. I see they're hardware.)
  7. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    Or hired them to work on v2.0.

If they are hardware engineers why would Nike keep them? Nike is giving up on hardware.
  8. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2011
    It's funny that Mark Gurman still claims Ben Shaffer worked on the Nike FuelBand when it was disputed by Fast Company. Shaffer worked in Nike's innovation kitchen but he worked on shoe engineering/design not the FuelBand.

9. macrumors member

Sep 27, 2007
    All I read in this tittle is: Apple Is Nowhere Near Releasing iWatch.
  10. macrumors 68030

Feb 22, 2008
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Companies also hire additional personnel for future versions of their hardware. These hires say nothing about the status of a rumored iWatch.
  11. macrumors 68030

Nov 23, 2011
    Correct. Except when Nike pulled out of the wrist device market, Google went into the smartphone one.
  12. macrumors regular

Mar 5, 2009
    Apple getting its ducks in great order

Apple is very wise to get the best in very specific niche areas of technology for all of its products - near or into the future.

This is exactly why the other "wanna bes" continually chase, file meaningless law suits & have to resort to silly, "who cares?-type ads in an attempt to bash Apple.

Tim Cook et al know exactly what they're doing, so no worries. :apple:
  13. macrumors 65816

May 25, 2012
  14. macrumors regular

Nov 22, 2012
    New headline

Apple hires Sasha Grey for officially becoming the biggest tease in tech.

I want and don't want a leak so bad right now !!!
  15. macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2013
    Would like to see an upscale iWatch and a more sport-like version.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Dec 31, 2012
    Buffalo, NY
    I never used a Nike band but they look pretty nice.
  17. macrumors 68000

Oct 2, 2013
  18. macrumors newbie

May 31, 2014
    It makes sense that all these new recruits are being hired to work on the iWatch, but if Apple are releasing the iWatch in a matter of months, it seems a bit late for any of these guys to make a serious contribution to the first iWatch release. I expect its real potential won't show until next year.
  19. macrumors 6502

Oct 3, 2009
    it's a watch, of course it'll be water resistant
  20. cgc
    macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2003
    "...possibly for iWatch team." Why else would Apple hire Nike Fuel Band engineers?
  21. macrumors 68020

Apr 2, 2008
    I can't see Apple coming out with anything this year besides 2 new iPhones, 2 new iPads and updated Macs...

Which isn't bad, but Tim keeps hyping up 2014...
  22. Guest

Aug 4, 2010
    My thoughts exactly...
  23. macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2014
    The hires do sound late, but there are a lot of possibilities. One could be that they've been working for Apple for awhile now and no one knew until now. Two is that they're picking up talent where they can, but not necessarily JUST for the version 1 iWatch. It's not as if they're never going to hire another person for the iWatch team even after version 1 launches. Once version 1 hardware goes to production, they're going to start working on version 2.
  24. macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Jan 7, 2006
    Woo! Put a strap on an iPod Nano and call me athletic.
  25. macrumors 68000

Jun 24, 2010
    It really does not sound like this watch/ecosystem is ready for prime time come September. If it is released in 2 months I don't think plans are super polished.
    A iWatch and iPhone announcement on the same day would be stellar.