Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

putongnihongo

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2012
Good for Apple for recognizing Israeli brain power. The rest of the world enjoys bashing on us but Apple knows quality when it sees it :D

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Good for Apple for recognizing Israeli brain power. The rest of the world enjoys bashing on us but Apple knows quality when it sees it :D
As a former Israeli (still have the passport, but I don't live there) don't be so excited. Apple do what fits best for its interest; they don't really care for Israel as a country.

How about giving TI some competition in the graphing calculator industry? They have a true monopoly there... It's easy to see it when people are buying 90s hardware at 90s hardware prices with 80s processors/screens in 2012.

----------

Same. The stupid TI-84 really screwed me up in chemistry class a few times, and it was a total ripoff.
You need to say thank you to your professor for letting you use these calculators in the first place. In my college you couldn't (and I believe still can't) use anything but a basic scientific calculator.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Ti-99/4a?

Anyone remember TI creating the 99/4A? I am surprised all of you remember TI for their calculators. I have still my 99/4a system with PEB and all. Not bad for 30 year old computer equipment which is built like TANKS! :)

This should be good though.. sending TI engineers to Israel. Though, I am for ARM to be used in the Mac laptops.. desktops? I would prefer a nice haswell or Power8 chip(Power series).

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
This should be good though.. sending TI engineers to Israel. Though, I am for ARM to be used in the Mac laptops.. desktops? I would prefer a nice haswell or Power8 chip(Power series).

What do you mean sending? It sounds like Apple is recruiting engineers that were laid off from TI facilities in Israel.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Israeli Engineers

As a U.S. engineer that worked for two years with Israeli engineers. I've also worked with engineers from India, China, Japan, U.K. and Ireland. Engineers are engineers and it really doesn't matter where they are from. Good and bad in every bunch.

Apple is hiring engineers there because they bought a technology company that is based there. If they had bought the same company in INdia or the U.K. they would be hiring engineers there too.

Don't read anything more from it other than they are filling out an engineering team with locals.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
TI's calculators are perfectly fine. Sure, they should add more RAM and ROM and lower the price but beyond that, they're perfect. People like to complain about the screen or its lack of wifi for some reason, but at the end of the day, it's meant to be used in a classroom. The low res black and white screen gives it its immense battery life and the lack of wifi is good because students could use it to cheat.

So apart from its shortcomings it's perfect?

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
Wow. . . It took page two before the anti-semitic comments started.
That statement isn't antisemitic, it's critique against actions by the state of Israel. You are allowed to do that, just like you are allowed to criticize the United States or Sweden for stuff they make that you don't agree with. That doesn't mean that you are saying anything about the people, their religion society or anything else. If one can't criticize politics and actions, what can you criticize?

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
That statement isn't antisemitic, it's critique against actions by the state of Israel. You are allowed to do that, just like you are allowed to criticize the United States or Sweden for stuff they make that you don't agree with. That doesn't mean that you are saying anything about the people, their religion society or anything else. If one can't criticize politics and actions, what can you criticize?

Thank you. Unfortunately many Americans are ok bashing their own country's government and president, but are not ok with any sort of critism of the 'peaceful' nation of Israel. For some reason, the line between government, nation, identity, and religion blurs when it comes to Israel. Heck, they take personal offense when you critisize their PM :confused:.

putongnihongo

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2012
It is quite antisemitic because when a terrorist blows up a school bus full of jewish children the UN barely slaps them on the wrist. When we defend ourselves by knocking out terrorist capabilities that they HIDE in civilian areas its a friggin warm crime. Complete double standard. Amos Oz said it best, the Europeans didn't want the Jews in Europe, and now that we are back in the Middle East they don't want us there either. Apparently they don't want us Jews anywhere.:eek:

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
It is quite antisemitic because when a terrorist blows up a school bus full of jewish children the UN barely slaps them on the wrist. When we defend ourselves by knocking out terrorist capabilities that they HIDE in civilian areas its a friggin warm crime. Complete double standard. Amos Oz said it best, the Europeans didn't want the Jews in Europe, and now that we are back in the Middle East they don't want us there either. Apparently they don't want us Jews anywhere.:eek:

"Israel uses sophisticated attack jets and naval vessels to bomb densely-crowded refugee camps, schools, apartment blocks, mosques, and slums to attack a population that has no air force, no air defense, no navy, no heavy weapons, no artillery units, no mechanized armor, no command in control, no army… and calls it a war. It is not a war, it is murder.

When Israelis in the occupied territories now claim that they have to defend themselves, they are defending themselves in the sense that any military occupier has to defend itself against the population they are crushing. You can’t defend yourself when you’re militarily occupying someone else’s land. That’s not defense. Call it what you like, it’s not defense."

-Noam Chompsky

Go ahead, call him anti-semetic. I double dare you.

LobsterMan

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
Israel
As an Israeli, I was enjoying reading the to-the-point comments in this thread, till some thin-skinned person had to be offended by a slight political remark. Let's put politics aside, I get enough of it on the news.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Anyone remember TI creating the 99/4A? I am surprised all of you remember TI for their calculators. I have still my 99/4a system with PEB and all. Not bad for 30 year old computer equipment which is built like TANKS! :)

Oh yeah... Hunt the Wumpus! I also had the cassette adapter where you'd play the cassette and wait 15 minutes for a text based game to load. Whoot! And you're so right on the built like a tank observation. You could smash some heads with those heavy as a brick systems. ^_^

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
My phone has a TI chipset.

No, they don't just make calculators. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Israel has brilliant engineers so I'm not surprised.

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
"Israel uses sophisticated attack jets and naval vessels to bomb densely-crowded refugee camps, schools, apartment blocks, mosques, and slums to attack a population that has no air force, no air defense, no navy, no heavy weapons, no artillery units, no mechanized armor, no command in control, no army… and calls it a war. It is not a war, it is murder.

When Israelis in the occupied territories now claim that they have to defend themselves, they are defending themselves in the sense that any military occupier has to defend itself against the population they are crushing. You can’t defend yourself when you’re militarily occupying someone else’s land. That’s not defense. Call it what you like, it’s not defense."

-Noam Chompsky

Go ahead, call him anti-semetic. I double dare you.

Too bad Noam Chompsky is associated [if he himself is not one] with antisemitism.

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
As a former Israeli (still have the passport, but I don't live there) don't be so excited. Apple do what fits best for its interest; they don't really care for Israel as a country.

You need to say thank you to your professor for letting you use these calculators in the first place. In my college you couldn't (and I believe still can't) use anything but a basic scientific calculator.

While true that they don't care about Israel, they do care about cost\value
and they found, what every other major high tech company found ( like Google, Intel, Microsoft,Hp,TI,Qualacom,Boradcom and many more.. ),that Israel have one of the best talented engineers in world.
That is the reason that many of the companies listed above, don't have any r&d centres outside USA EXCEPT Israel .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.