Apple history repeat itself?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TiMacLover, May 9, 2002.

1. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

After watching the video by the link below I think Apple is heading a new direction, a direction that they have not moved forward into for about 14 years. Does anyone remeber in Pirates Of the Silicon Valley when Jobs splits Apple into 2 area's Apple //e people and Mac OS people? I think that is what is happening to OS 9 and OS X, but will the outcome be as bad as it was back then?

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-899914.html?tag=stovid.nws.rl.2100-1040-899914

To add in the video with Jobs on that link it shows him on stage with a castkit and OS 9 inside it with death hymes and flog all over the WWDC stage! he then reads a kind of farewell OS 9 letter!

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Well I have never heard about that, I have to brush up on some history.
    But I hope it doesn't go that way and I hope its true what jobs said, I hope they bury OS 9 for good cause OS X kicks ass

3. Ludicrosity macrumors member

Re: Apple history repeat itself?

All the Mac OS developers at Apple are by now working on X. If anything like what happen back during the first release of the Mac, happened now it was awhile back in MOSX was less mature.

If anything did happen recently, I doubt it wasn't anything near as bad as what was depicted in the Pirates Of the Silicon Valley. Was Apple the company that at ends with each other back years ago? The moive TiMacLover is talking about isn't exactly a history lesson.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

First on the video - I just hate it when they don't give a QuickTime option for viewing. It just seems silly, especially with an Apple story. Maybe QT6 will shake things up a bit.

OS9 is dead. So they made a big announcement, so what. They have to push the new OS and I'm all for it.

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

It may be dead in the development sense but there are over 25 million Mac in use today. I wonder how many can run X with any efficiency? Just a thought, but I agree that they have to move on. X is the future of the OS, and the future of Apple. Everything they are doing is founded and built on X.

Man those rackmounts are going to friggin rock.