Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Boston law firm Block & Leviton today announced it has filed a class action lawsuit against Apple on behalf of iPhone Upgrade customers who are dissatisfied with how Apple handled iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus pre-orders last Friday.

When customers who participate in the iPhone Upgrade Program went to pre-order an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus, they were forced to reserve a device from a local Apple retail store rather than being able to make a traditional online purchase. Many retail stores did not have sufficient stock to meet demand, leaving some customers unable to select the model, color, or storage capacity they desired.

iphone7lineup-800x677.jpg

Many iPhone Upgrade Program members were unhappy with the ordering process and an inability to reserve a desired iPhone for launch day. Apple has responded to customer frustration and has been collecting customer information to attempt to get customers their iPhones as soon as possible. Apple's efforts have not, however, prevented today's lawsuit, which claims iPhone Upgrade Program users will face future upgrade delays due to the situation.
But, the lawsuit alleges, iPhone Upgrade Program customers, unlike every other customer, were shut out from reserving the most in-demand phone models and colors.

These customers are unable to "get in line" to reserve their favored devices. Instead, they are told to simply "check back." In the meantime, they will continue to be required to make monthly payments on their older iPhones, and their eligibility for future iPhones will be delayed, the lawsuit alleges.
The lawsuit asks Apple to reimburse iPhone Upgrade members who are forced to make extra payments while waiting for a new iPhone, make upgrade members eligible for a 2017 iPhone in September regardless of upgrade delays, and seeks to require Apple to make all of its iPhone inventory available to upgrade members.

Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program, arguably designed for the company's staunchest fans, allows customers to upgrade to a new iPhone each year. Customers can upgrade after as little as six months, so long as they have made 12 iPhone payments and trade in the iPhone in question when upgrading.

Article Link: Apple Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over iPhone Upgrade Program Woes

Reactions: macfacts

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
This is a moronic first world problem, just pure disgusting greed on the part of skumbag Lawyers looking for any stupid reason to sue and make money - and i'm in the iUP program. All these frivolous lawsuits cause so much more damage than the alleged "problems" they fix. Our insurance rates are going thru the roof because of these stupid lawsuits. Not getting an iphone on launch day is not an issue that harms anyone and I'm sure Apple will make good on any payments made in errs. The judge that allows this case to go thru needs to be put out to pasture and replaced. My life will somehow continue if I don't get the phone this friday . And guess what - COFFEE IS FREAKING HOT!!!!!

Last edited:

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Jeez. This is quick.

I'm sure Apple will make it right and the people will get their phones and will probably get a credit of some sort or an App Store or iTunes credit, etc.

Reactions: TimSHB

Kkspire

macrumors regular
May 19, 2016

Boston law firm Block & Leviton today announced it has filed a class action lawsuit against Apple on behalf of iPhone Upgrade customers who are dissatisfied with how Apple handled iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus pre-orders last Friday.

When customers who participate in the iPhone Upgrade Program went to pre-order an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus, they were forced to reserve a device from a local Apple retail store rather than being able to make a traditional online purchase. Many retail stores did not have sufficient stock to meet demand, leaving some customers unable to select the model, color, or storage capacity they desired.

iphone7lineup-800x677.jpg

Many iPhone Upgrade Program members were unhappy with the ordering process and an inability to reserve a desired iPhone for launch day. Apple has responded to customer frustration and has been collecting customer information to attempt to get customers their iPhones as soon as possible. Apple's efforts have not, however, prevented today's lawsuit, which claims iPhone Upgrade Program users will face future upgrade delays due to the situation.The lawsuit asks Apple to reimburse iPhone Upgrade members who are forced to make extra payments while waiting for a new iPhone, make upgrade members eligible for a 2017 iPhone in September regardless of upgrade delays, and seeks to require Apple to make all of its iPhone inventory available to upgrade members.

Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program, arguably designed for the company's staunchest fans, allows customers to upgrade to a new iPhone each year. Customers can upgrade after as little as six months, so long as they have made 12 iPhone payments and trade in the iPhone in question when upgrading.

Article Link: Apple Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over iPhone Upgrade Program Woes
What a joke. If that's the case no one should have an upgrade. Sorry you have to pay for your equipment while you wait for the next one you want to splurge on. What a joke.

T-Friz

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
New York
Remember when class action lawsuits were filed as a result of real problems caused by things like pharmaceuticals or asbestos? Granted, I got a Sept. 16th delivery date so I guess I can't complain, but still, this seems like an over-reaction

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
First come, first serve folks. Just because you're already in the upgrade program doesn't give you premium access to a new iPhone every time.

What a massive joke.

I think the problem was no one expected to sign up for this program and be treated second class.

There were tons of people who woke up early on pre-order day and were denied the opportunity that every other purchaser had who also woke up early on pre-order day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.