Apple hit with racial lawsuit

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by spikezoe, Nov 5, 2001.

1. spikezoe macrumors newbie

2. spikezoe thread starter macrumors newbie

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Mmmmm who knows

In the US you can suit any body for anything. I do not think this is the firs black person working at Apple. May be the guy is after something, may be not, who knows.

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

HR suits

i used to be an HR guy and i am a minority in the US

one has to hear both sides of the story and avoid just the info in an article or two and only the court may know, if at all, the truth

the bay area is very racially diverse and one of the more tolerant areas in the US...the current mayor of san francisco is black and the past mayor of los angeles was black so as a state we can stand proud in our racial equality

but i have been told by some people from elsewhere, georgia and new york, that the bay area only thinks they are racially progressive and liberal...georgia has atlanta which is supposed to be the most progressive city in the US and New York is definitely multiracial and had dinkins as mayor

hey, we gave the world nixon and reagan so who knows about california's policitcal stances because we also gave the world berkeley and the summer of love

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-05-2001 at 08:04 PM]

5. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Apple has a good rep

Apple has a reputaion of being one of the best co's to work for. Very progressive. They were even picked by a gay an lesbian group as one of the To 10 US companines for their understanding of all life styals... (they give medical bennifits not spouces of non-legal gay marrages) as well as some other things that I forgot... it was a while ago when I read the artical. I my self am a super minority.. I mixed breed... I dont really have any racial identy. I picked "other" on my SAT's and on the census.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

national identity

i have people of okinawan, sicilian, macedonian, and windish descent in my family...all former nations who are now under the rule of japan, italy, greece, and the wind

...i found out my windish relative's region had been taken over and fought over so many times that his "windish" explanation was fitting to say the least

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

riiiight. someone is taking advantage of the fact that government is hypersensitive about racial discrimination. maybe he just got laid off, maybe this maybe that. remember that right now the tech market is shaky at best.

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it would be interesting to hear as much as possible about both sides of the story...anyone hear anymore about this racial lawsuit?

is it legitimate or is someone trying to take advantage?

just curious.

9. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

For me the guy got togather with the wrong lawyer.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the plaintiff named his supervisor dan riccio for singling him out and firing him for no good reason, since the plaintiff has an exemplary record, then there might be a lawsuit there

but civil cases may be too high in their dollar amounts

if apple had a good reason to fire the plaintiff, they better let the court know because if they fired him frivolously like the press seems to indicate, they are setting themelves up for a suit they could well lose

of course, the press does not always indicate all the details

HR people who like to bend the rules, which may not be right in the first place all the time, do no service to labor law by creating a wrong to try to "right a wrong"

it is kind of like the hr people who say they don't believe in blacklisting but they use secret language like, "then is that person eligible for rehire?" to see if that person is secretly blacklisted

hr types who use that type of backstabbing sneakiness are the ones who make good companies get sued in the first place...why do you think the dilbert cartoon has catbert, the evil human resources director (there is a lot of truth to that)

even though i got my degree in that field, the practice of hr is a very cutthroat field indeed and i suspect a lot of honest, well meaning people who entered the field in the first place become jaded and become the villains they first set out to fight (kind of like john grisham's characters in his novels about lawyers and the law)

when i visited a law school after finishing college, i remember the law professor telling his class that half of all senior HR people for the fortune 500 have juris doctorate degrees and the law school dean told me on another visit that hr directors often go to law school to "get more knowledge" and not necessarily go for the bar

i am just glad to be a techie and not an hr person/politician, because even if you try to do good as an hr person, people will always question your motives

my 2 cents

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-11-2001 at 11:03 PM]