Apple hits 4.7 per cent US market share

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by fox2005, Jul 19, 2005.

1. fox2005 macrumors member

Apple hits 4.7 % US market share

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Ummm... Your quote says 4.5 percent, not 4.7. Still pretty impressive, though!

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This is great news. Apple finally starting to improve its market share. Now if the trend can just continue.

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Glad to see Apple's market share go up. Hopefully they can continue this treand as the Halo effect finally takes a noticeable effect...

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Mac sales tripled apparently, which is amazing. Nearly means 1 in 20 computers in the US are Apple Macs. I'd like to see that 1 in 10, across the world :p

6. Sam I Am macrumors regular

Here in Ann Arbor, about 1 in 5 laptops downtown is a Mac. Or maybe it's just me... maybe I just notice them way more than I should... :rolleyes:

7. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Yeah, but A2 is a college town and I think college students lean towards Mac more than the general population.

This is good news though. I expect with the halo effect and momentum Apple seems to have that their marketshare will continue to raise slowly. I think if they could eventually reach 10% that would be amazing. I can't see them gaining and holding much more than that. Especially considering most/all of this growth will be on the consumer side - not within businesses.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yay for Apple! :D
    Can not wait for the market share to be 47% ;)

9. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I hope once Apple cracks 5% market share that developers take even a little more notice, too.

I'm tired of trying to find decent nonprofit fundraising software and databases that only work on Windows. Seriously, some of the nicest products like Raiser's Edge are Windows only. Asking vendors if they have OSX compatible versions will usually produce one of three results:

1) They stare at you blankly like an Alien is popping out of your stomach.
    2) They say, "like, you know, there's this PC emulator program for Macs, and our Mac customers just use this." I usually then ask them if they've ever used it and understand the limitations it produces, which then results in reply #1 above.
    3) They say, "well, we make a Web based version of our software, too," which usually has half the features and is incompatible with anything but IE on a Mac.

*sigh* Here's to baby steps...

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Nice post FoxyKaye. I like #1 best :D

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Apple's share of computers sold was nearly 1 in 20 IN THE SECOND QUARTER of this year. They still have a long way to go but the news is excellent.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

GAH!
    There are at least two places I hate seeing puns. Software names, and license plates. On Saturday, I saw a Porsche 911 with the plates "NIEN 11" GAH! :mad:

:D

13. BGil macrumors 6502

Correct, this is second quarter only. Second quarter is the slowest time of the year for Windows-based PC sales. The third and fourth quarter are much better.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They might wanna get their reflexes tested because to be honest, if ever an alien pops out of my stomach, I'd want a much larger response. :D

As for the increased market share, I always get this fuzzy little feeling when articles like this come out and I know I helped a little (bought an iMac recently).

I reckon 15% would be the optimum market share whereby they hold some market power but they still don't attract virus writers and the sort.

15. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

The lack of malicious software is surely a big factor...
    Maybe every time Mac market share goes up the guys at Apple should celebrate by conducting a security audit of OS X! (and a cake or two of course...)

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

But we don't want them getting fat. ;)

17. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

ive said it before and ill say it again, imagine how good they would be doing if the accually advertised the computers and osx

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Exactly. Imagine seeing a Power Mac G5 (or any other Mac) on a TV commercial. People would instantly rip out their credit cards and head to the phone or internet to scoop up a new Mac.

19. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

if they hit 4.7% with hardly any/no advertising, and they had such a big success with the iPod advertising, just imagine wot could happen with mac sales if they advertised it

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

You can't spend 20 seconds on the streets of NYC without seeing an iPod, which says alot about Apple's future. What it says to me is growth, so I'm very happy for Apple :).

scem0

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yep!

Let's see, 3.7% to 4.7% is about 27% growth. Awesome, but still makes one wonder how much more it could be if Apple advertised.

Sure wish Apple would advertise more!

If they kept this up for one more year, they would be close to 6% market share. Breaking 5% would be great and it looks like Apple is on their way to do so if things kept going the way they are.

Sushi

22. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Apple did advertise the PowerMac G5 when it first came out. You don't remember the guy using the computer and it was so "powerful" that it blew him out of his house? :rolleyes:

Apparently, Apple has data that mainstream advertising (primarily referring to TV) of the Macintosh line does not lead to bigger sales. As mac fans, that's hard to grasp. :) We love to see Apple in both print and electronic media. :) However, it simply may not be cost effective.

23. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry, I do not...back then I was still in PeeCee Bondage.

I was so busy trying to install windows security updates that I never had time to watch tv. ;) Now I have all the time in the world to watch Apple product commercials. :)

24. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I hope this insane growth can sustain itself. It wasn't that long ago when apple's marketshare shot up to 25% when they released the first powerbook ever. Boy, those were the days :)