Apple Home Page Has G5 Again

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Odd that they're advertising it again... are they trying to get rid of stock to make way for new ones, or they just don't have anything else new to show.

If this coming Tuesday is the day for a new release, why put it up now with the old one?

D

2. Interiority macrumors member

A little unusual... I'm just glad to see a computer back on the home page... it makes a change from music stuff, database apps and bottles of pepsi...

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

I smell a rat here...

Apple's bringing the G5 to their webpage, probably, because they want the G5 to have so much positive feedback, thus, Apple wants the G5 to have a lot of attention. So if it's going to have a lot of attention, and since the G5 hasn't been updated in a year (dumb), then processor speeds for the following PowerMac expected by PowerMac users, those looking to get the newer G5 (whenever that comes out), and Apple-fanatics in general, will be more than 400MHz or 600MHz. Now let's see if Apple pulls through.

But that rat smell is coming from the role play of advertising the G5 at about an expected period of time in which the G5 would be updated. So...the advertisement might be there for a long time so that the G5 gets a lot of recognition...yet for how long of a time? A week? Two weeks? Until exactly the last Tuesday of the month? Until April? Until MWCE 2004? (Personally, I don't understand the whole Tuesday thing going on around the forums... *sigh*) I'm thinking that Apple won't even release the G5 until well after March.

All I have to say is: I'm expecting the 1000MHz change in (dual) processor speeds from 1st G5 to 2nd G5 PowerMac as promised.

4. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

You have to remember that we are coming to the end of a quarter. They want to advertise the G5 again to get their numbers up for the quarterly earnings.
    Simple as that.

5. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i think they just got sick of the pepsi and filemaker pages and decided to throw something new on

6. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

but who really decides what goes on the front page?

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Steve! :D

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...the Filemaker stuff is still on the home page of Apple Canada, just a little ironic I think as they don't have even have alink to "buy" and it is not yet in the Apple Canada store....oh yeah!

9. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I've wondered this before too, but I really don't know. I am a bit puzzled as to why they are promoting the G5 all of the sudden, especially if new PowerMacs come Tuesday.

10. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

11. jihad the movie macrumors regular

I just ordered a Dual 1.8 through the educational store

With the ram deal, the free printer, and lower than usual pricing, i think it is safe to say yes. Also, wasn't the shipping on a G5 7-14 days during peak production? They said mine is coming in 3-5. I smell new G5s.

For those interested, here is what I got...

Dual 1.8 G5
    1gb of ram.
    160GB hd (I have a 250gb SATA one at home I will add)
    Combo (I have a black bezel DVR-107, 119 bucks at esbuy)
    Airport Extreme (and base station)
    Bluetooth
    Apple Bluetooth Keyboard
    ATi 9600 (waiting for the next gen cards)
    Free Epson Printer
    HP DESKJET 5650
    Black Mitsubishi Diamonditron 74

12. thecow macrumors 6502

What? Do you mean that apple actually computers? I always thought that they just made iPods and sold music.;)

13. Opteron macrumors 6502

Apple could be attempting to shift old stock
    They could be trying to bump up earnings.

Either way,
    The time for up dates is approaching at an astonishing rate, and some may say that it has past.

PCI-Express, DDR-II, are looking more and more likley in the Next updates.

14. nargot macrumors regular

even apple australia has the g5 ad :), but apple.com.au does get updated almost at the same time as apple.com for some bizzare reason as we don't get most things til last ie ipod mini's etc

15. Zaty macrumors 65816

Perhaps, someone rembered that Apple also sells computers :D
    Either it's a clear sign that updates are near or they just want to push PMs sales.

16. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Well just sit a few moments and read the "accolades" scrolling on the screen, they're probably written by major players who own a good amount of stock in Apple, and are trying to convince the "Switchers" and those of us still on G4s, G3s, Clones, Quadras, etc. to upgrade. Ever since the intro of OS X and the "not turning back" attitude from Apple, as well as the new influx of bundled OS X compatible software from Adobe and others, I feel there is going to come a time when the older stuff will just cease to work.
    Almost like having a paranoid feeling that come some bizarre date like Aug 3 2007 everything from G4 and down will just blow up!!

OK, that's ranting but trying to keep up $$ wise is killing me. :rolleyes: