Apple homepage update long overdue

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Panther, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Panther macrumors member

Apple used to change its homepage rotation every couple of weeks...

The current one reflects the recent iPod releases. When I say recent, the new Mini and cheaper iPod Photo was February 23rd, and the Shuffle was January 11th.

While I don't have an empirical evidence to back this up, it just seems longer than I can recall between previous homepage updates...

Thoughts?

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Another Austinite w00t w00t!!!

I too have noticed that the front page isn't changing as much, but once Tiger is released, the front page will be drastically different...:rolleyes:

3. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Well... think of the tabs at the top. They are OS 10.2 style... Now that's old!

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, the home page is in need of an update. I guess we all know what's coming up next....:)

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Tiger countdown this coming week...they just hafta :cool:

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Not just Tiger. Apple is going to be releasing a LOT of products in the next month or so, I don't know how they're going to fit them all on the homepage!

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Agreed. The site has been miserably quiet except for the additions of the Widget/Automator download pages.

Maybe they are going to do a complete overhaul to match a more Tiger-y feel when they announce it.

8. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

maybe they forgot about the website :p

Steve Jobs: We have a website? :p

9. Panther thread starter macrumors member

The other thing I find interesting about this is that having the iPod front and center for so long sends a message to corporations - it says "move along... nothing to see here"

While the iPod may be what is juicing Apple's stock, and even reinvigorating Mac sales in the home, it doesn't play in the business parks of Preoria... Seems a pity to me given what we think we know:

- Tiger: imminent
    - dual-core G5-based stuff: imminent... probably PowerMacs first, then XServes (I wonder if Virginia Tech will replace all its kit again :rolleyes: )
    - PowerBooks: dual-core G4, possibly G5, possibly high-density display... watch this space.

... there is a corporate story here, but Apple doesn't seem to want to tell it, or maybe doesn't know how.

Heck, maybe they feel if enough corporate types buy iPods, that they'll convince their masters to buy them Macs for the office... but that seems like a round-about kinda strategy...

I'd even buy my own personal PowerBook for work if I didn't work for another computer manufacturer... I sure do get funny looks wearing my Apple Developer Connection shirt at work :p

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I hope this is true, but we have no substantiated reason to believe that dual core G5s are imminent.

11. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

yes let the PM updates come soon, and with Tiger loaded on to them :rolleyes: :D

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Seeing the iPod everyday has become boring. It would seem that they could start to advertise Tiger or WWDC. At least NAB could be up now. Apple just try to alternate the home page, change is the spice of life.

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I said the same thing in another thread. Apple always gives the most front page time to iPods and music related announcements. The last lengthy front page product was the U2 ipOd.

14. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Apple has, in my opinion, one of the best laid out, easiest to navigate sites I've ever been too as far as finding out information, making purchases, etc. I only wish they would integrate direct store links into all of their product pages. And while I agree the tab appearance has gotten a little old over the years, because the site is so great I wouldn't want them to completely change it all, although i'm sure that if they did it would be just as easy to navigate.
    As for the front page, it seems that everytime I star to think of how long the front page has been the same it gets changed the next day or so. So given that we're talking about it... it's a good sign.
    Tiger countdown, iBook revisions, iMac revisions, new pro apps, updated Airport, iTunes 5 are all likely April items. Now all of THAT would make for an exciting (but overwhelming) front page.

15. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

2 Sites?

ipod.apple.com and mac.apple.com I think they are trying to cover 2 distinctly different product lines with a single front page. Anyway, I sick of the all-ipod look, as well.

16. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

In the past, they've usually rotated their announcements more, but it's not particularly bad that they have the iPod on the front page, because there's so many new iPod users.

However, with the introduction of Tiger, I hope they introduce a new site design that's more standards compliant (at least for the regular pages) and is a little bit cleaner. I'm hoping that Dunstan is part of the web design team now, and is working on redesigning Apple.com.
    -Chase

17. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Any site that hasn't been renovated since the 90's deserves a good server overload to bring it down. Wanna gang up on 'em?

18. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

i am with you...how many more needed

19. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

More than MR alone can provide I'm afraid. Apple just upgraded to G5 Xserves.

20. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

true...ok lets start memberships at appleinsider, thinksecret, MacOSxrumors, cafemacs and any other page you know...it can be done, and send out the word.
    I have aready started...by pushing refresh every 2 minutes on apple.com.

:D :D