Apple + Honda = Robot?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by citizensane, Jul 23, 2002.

1. citizensane macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2002
    They're both critically acclaimed for ease-of-use and persistent efficiency. They both have dual-syllable corporate names. They've even shared the same narrator . . . why not integrate technologies?

What I'm talking about is a merge between (a future incarnation of) Honda's ASIMO project (, and Apple's computing services. True, enough think-power to animate a full-sized, fully-mobile, sensory-input-equipped Robo Sapiens is a little out of reach. But not much. Hawking predicts computers with the same level of side-by-side computations as the average Joe before or during 2007. Another says self-aware computers ( should be expected by 2029.

Most of us will still be alive then, unless, of course, there are some of you visiting from a hospital gurney or Death Row.

I'd like opinions on this. Do you think Apple will release its OWN, better-constructed robot? An anthropomorphic configuration of old iMac shells with pink-neon eyes? Or should Honda and Apple take the ultimate risk . . . are they already . . . ? And by MWNY 2007, should we expect one of the hosts not to PRESENT a demonstration, but to BE one?

[notice: also posted under "iPod a Tool for Software Thieves," whose original article was deleted due to "expired data". Users were complaining that it offered no new information: they were right. I checked the dates myself, and it was originally released on April 15. For those of you who had to slough through it, I apologize.]
  2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    I wonder, for our mates in Australia, might they be thinking "Apple pairing up with Honda to make traffic signals?!" Hehe. :p
  3. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2002
    Washington DC USA
    I'm waiting for FOX and Budwiser to get together and make a sex-bot. To satisfy a geeks needs :D
  4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Re: Apple + Honda = Robot?

There is a much greater fascination for robots in Japan than there is in America, odd cultural thing, huh? But eventually robots will become more common - Apple showing up with an iBot? not sure on that one - what would it do? what purpose would it serve?

There is the whole A.I. issue here as well - and I'm not talking that silly movie. Significant steps need to be taken before such things will be more than a curiousity - and then to see Apple involved in it - well, that's saying a lot, because for Jobs to have that as part of his future vision of Apple might even be consider a bit crazy.

Sure, we're seeing the development of the 'digital hub' for the 'digital lifestyle' - until robots become part of that lifestyle we won't really know for sure, will we?

5. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2002
    Washington DC USA
    On the A.I. issue, you might want to watch the movie Blade Runner. A.I. the movie said something but Blade Runner is what this issue is really going to be about :D