Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently updated the homepage of its website with a tribute to legendary boxer Muhammad Ali, who died on Friday at age 74. Ali was admitted to a hospital earlier in the week due to respiratory ailments, which were further complicated due to a lengthy battle with Parkinson's disease.

muhammad-ali-tribute-800x423.jpg

The tribute on Apple's website includes a quote that reads, "The man who has no imagination has no wings." Apple has been a long-time supporter and admirer of Ali, showcasing the boxer in one of its famous "Think Different" campaign videos back in 1997.
"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life." Rest in peace #MuhammadAli - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) June 4, 2016
Following the announcement of his death on Friday, Apple CEO Tim Cook shared a commemorative Tweet about Ali on his account, as did Phil Schiller. Ali's family has also taken to Twitter to share more details about his passing and honor his life, including his daughter Hana.

Article Link: Apple Honors the Life of Muhammad Ali on its Homepage

zahuh

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2004
I truly loved and respected Muhammad Ali. May he rest in peace. Thank you for everything.

Apple, glad you updated your site. Please next time don't let this much time go by before you pay respect. We respect "the crazy ones" with zero resistance.

Reactions: pondhopper

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I miss those early years of the 70's, going to closed system presentations of a couple of Ali fights with my dad. Sometimes wish I could teleport to that time and era again, if nothing else, just for a day.

jjhny

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Like to see a scientist get this treatment every once in a while - maybe an engineer, lots of unsung heroes who really deserve recognition.

I wonder if when Kim Kardashian goes hurtling into the abyss Apple will make a front page memorial for her - in fact - please someone, make that - that would be fantastic!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Nice little touch. Thanks for the memories and one lines Ali!!! Awesome!
[doublepost=1465151260][/doublepost]
Like to see a scientist get this treatment every once in a while - maybe an engineer, lots of unsung heroes who really deserve recognition.

I wonder if when Kim Kardashian goes hurtling into the abyss Apple will make a front page memorial for her - in fact - please someone, make that - that would be fantastic!

Imagine when Taylor swift goes.... Apple flags at half mast....

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
An inspirational and important man who transcended his sport, stood up for what he believed in, and made a long list of hilarious quotes. And I don't even really like boxing. Rightly remembered by Apple.

RIP.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
A lifetime of bullying and belittling outside the ring - I was never a fan.

This is not about Donald Trump...
[doublepost=1465153852][/doublepost]
Nice little touch. Thanks for the memories and one lines Ali!!! Awesome!
[doublepost=1465151260][/doublepost]

Imagine when Taylor swift goes.... Apple flags at half mast....

Half-staff, unless Apple has a ship by then.
[doublepost=1465153914][/doublepost]
I'm a Canadian, I couldn't care less what happens in your country, politically.

You should. We'll build a wall around you guys if you don't watch out!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Very cool. I wish they would have done one for Prince (I live a mile or so from Paisley Park) though he was never associated with Apple so I suppose it might have come across odd. Did they put Michael Jackson on the homepage after he died?

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Half-staff, unless Apple has a ship by then.
[doublepost=1465153914][/doublepost]

OMG screw the Apple Car, I'm holding out and saving for the Apple Ship!

Last edited by a moderator:

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Regardless of what people think of the man, he was one of a handful of extremely prominent 1960s icons. We aren't getting anymore, so when they go, they are all gone forever. To another's point, yeah, when Kim K is the most recognizable person of an entire generation, something went wrong with society. Horribly wrong. I've never seen one contribute so little but yet reap so much. Literally, I don't know of anyone else. She puts Paris Hilton to shame.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Very cool. I wish they would have done one for Prince (I live a mile or so from Paisley Park) though he was never associated with Apple so I suppose it might have come across odd.

Well, he was against digital music and he did have that whole drug thing going on. So I guess they decided to stay away from that one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.