Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the tragic news of the death of Oscar-winning actor Robin Williams, Apple has created a "Remembering Robin Williams" dedicated section of the iTunes Store housing many of the actor's popular movies and stand up comedy routines.

Along with offering movies organized into categories like "Essentials," "Comedy," and "Drama," the Robin Williams iTunes Store section includes a photo of the actor along with a short paragraph on his decades-long career and his involvement in Comic Relief USA, a charity that's raised upwards of $50 million for homeless assistance.

robinwilliamsmovies.jpg
One of the most beloved and unforgettable performers in the history of show business, Robin Williams brought laughter and inspiration to millions. Throughout a career that spanned five decades, Williams evolved from stand up comedian to international movie star. Among the great masters of improv, he transfixed audiences with a mile-a-minute comic energy. Williams' Golden Globe-winning turn in Good Morning, Vietnam demonstrated that his versatile acting talents were equally suited to evoking dramatic complexity. Many of Williams' most iconic performances--in Dead Poets Society, Mrs. Doubtfire, and his Oscar-winning triumph Good Will Hunting--were dazzling high-wire acts that left audiences in tears of laughter one minute and tears of poignancy the next.
In the iTunes Store section dedicated to Williams, Apple lists more than 40 of his movies like Dead Poets Society, Mrs. Doubtfire, Jumanji, The Birdcage, Patch Adams, Good Morning, Vietnam, and more, along with a handful of his comedy performances.

Robin Williams' performance in Dead Poets Society is of special importance to Apple as his character, John Keating, delivered the famous "What will your verse be?" speech that inspired its "Your Verse" line of iPad advertisements. Williams also provided the voice over for one of the commercials, which began airing back in January.

Yesterday, Apple CEO Tim Cook tweeted about Williams' death, calling him an "incomparable talent and a great human being." Phil Schiller also expressed his regrets over the tragedy.
Heartbroken by the news of Robin Williams passing. He was an incomparable talent and a great human being. Rest in peace. - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) August 12, 2014
Update: Apple has also dedicated a page on its website to Robin Williams with the following:
We are deeply saddened by the passing of Robin Williams. He inspired us through his passion, his generosity, and the gift of laughter. He will be missed.
This is one of the few times Apple has honored someone's life with a page on its website, with the others being Nelson Mandela, Rosa Parks, board member Jerry York and Steve Jobs.

Article Link: Apple Honors Robin Williams With iTunes Store Section Featuring More than 40 Movies, Comedy Routines [Updated]

GreenFreaK

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Going to watching all of these

He had such an impact on my life growing up, through all his characters and movies (most importantly Aladdin). I shall dedicate time to watch every single one of these within the next few months to honor him.

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Rest in peace, Robin. Some of your movies had a great impact on me and millions of your fans. Your legacy will live on for a very long time. I will miss you.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
RIP Robin. Tragic loss for comedy. Condolences to his family. I will always remember the laughter and joy he brought into my life every time I saw him.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
A dedicated section, but no discounts. Looks like Apple is just trying to cash in on this marketing "opportunity". Makes me feel kind of off about it...

Funny, I'd consider a "sale" to be more distasteful.

THAT sounds like cashing in...trying to spur sales, as it were.

Simply making a list seems more respectful to me.

AX338

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2013
London
Hopefully a percentage of the profits from these sales will go towards a charity helping others who suffer from depression.

A really sad loss.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
More like profiteering off of his death. The respectable thing to do is give one of his highest rated movies for free to honor him on a dedicated page instead of listing movies to entice people to spend money.

macpro88

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2014
you guys are cynical... seriously.

Ever think that Apple can't change those prices, that maybe there's a contract in place with whomever? Imagine what the store would look like if Apple themselves had full control over pricing things how they wanted.

This is a nice gesture, and those of you who think they did this just to cash in, you have no respect.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
classy of apple to exploit a celebrities death

I don't think Apple is exploiting Robin at all. iTunes is a multi-billion dollar business.

I truly believe Apple merely wants to point out the excellent spectrum of his very good acting career. He was an Apple Fanboy too.

That iPad Air commercial should be retired forever.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK

Or make them "free", so everyone has the opportunity to watch a legend at work.

joshuarayer

Suspended
Jan 28, 2009
A dedicated section, but no discounts. Looks like Apple is just trying to cash in on this marketing "opportunity". Makes me feel kind of off about it...

I would say regardless of any discounts, this feels like they are just using this as free marketing and getting people to spend money at the expense of his death.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2009
Im with those that think that this is in terrible taste and Apple simply cashing in. There can't be any other way to look at it.

Tim Cook does mention that Robin Williams was involved with Comic Relief USA, a charity that's raised upwards of $50 million for homeless assistance.

Now HAD Tim Cook said that 10% of sales or some suitable figure were going to be donated to this charity, then I would have said good on you Apple but as it stands, its simply cashing in as businesses are meant to do :(

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal

I think they should not reduce the price, but give the money to his charity.

Simply creating a section at this moment really sounds like trying to cash in on the increased demand his death suddenly originated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.