Apple... I think congratulations are due...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Kiwi-Todd, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Kiwi-Todd macrumors member

I'll probably get rogered ruthlessly for saying this, but.... I think Apple did a good job last year with the G5.

The G5 revA has been, from my understanding, a very well executed range - especially given the fact that it was a complete architecture revision and utilising a first generation chipset.

I guess that my point is that although I see a lot of griping about apple being slower than molasses in January to get products out and revise them - i think the benefits of well tested, designed and manufactured products outweigh a constant flow of half-baked junk rushed to market.

Keep up the good work apple!

BTW it would be nice to see the 3.0GHZ G5 by this summer as promised Steve - and where's my DP 2.0GHZ 15"PB!

2. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I dunno whether being 'rogered' means the same in New Zealand as it does from where I come from.

So I'm just going to cautiosly back away and not get involved with this one....

:confused:

(ps ... big ya to G5!!)

3. Kiwi-Todd thread starter macrumors member

Re: rogering

I see you're from the UK - so yeah it probably does - things can get pretty nasty here on the macrumors frontier! - my backs to the wall also!

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Might I suggest steel plated underwear? It's always worked for me! :D

Other than only a few minor problems (heck I think the new 15 inch PowerBooks had it worse, I'd say that the G5 has been an overwhelming success. Unfortunately, it is high time for an update, especially if Apple wants to sell anymore of them. I can't imagine they are selling well right now as only the desperate people wouldn't just wait a few weeks here.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's only because I haven't turned my oxy-acetylene flames on you yet! :D Now Nomex, that's what you should be looking for!

6. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I have to agree here. I've seen a lot of people saying things along the lines of 'Apple are stupid for not releasing G5 Powerbooks now', and 'why can't Apple make an application that does function x?'. It seems that a lot of people don't realise that these things take time and money, and are not always under Apple's control (eg hard drive supply delays). They just expect the impossible to be achieved just to satisfy their wants. I think Apple is doing pretty well, although definately not perfectly, and there should be a lot to come from them, just not necessary tomorrow (but maybe next Tuesday :D -sorry, couldn't resist).

7. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

It's that thing where after all these years of loyalty, yet being perceived as being behind compared to the Wintel world, something like the G5 comes along and gives us a taste of the future.

And it tastes sweet. Sweet enough for Wintel to be worried.

So now we've had the G5, the iPod & music store, but the loyal legions want more and they want it now!. Reading these forums I think the only Apple product line that doesn't need upgrading is the iPod - from Power Macs to Appleworks the throngs are waiting at the gates for Bigger, Better, Faster.

And no sign of being rogered.

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

A big congrats indeed!

The G5 is not only the fastest Mac (duh...) but, what's more significant, the biggest leap Apple has ever made hardware/performance -wise.
    The speed differences between the fastest Mac in spring 2003 and fall 2003 are HUGE!

9. Kiwi-Todd thread starter macrumors member

quote:
    They just expect the impossible to be achieved just to satisfy their wants. I think Apple is doing pretty well, although definately not perfectly, and there should be a lot to come from them, just not necessary tomorrow (but maybe next Tuesday -sorry, couldn't resist).

The funny thing is that most of these people probably don't actually BUY these new machines - they are probably like me and just like to know that there is a new blazingly fast Mac to aspire to - one day....

BTW can someone tell me how do you do those nice quote things on this new forum setup? :confused:

10. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

The only mistake I would say Apple made with the G5s is shipping the SP 1.8 G5 instead of shipping the DP 1.8 G5 at launch... they pissed off a lot of customers by EOLing the SP 1.8 within 12 weeks.

Other than that, I think they did great with the G5 line.

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Press "reply" on the bottom-right part of the post you want to quote.

Attached Files:

12. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Yes, at the bottom of the message you want to quote, press the smaller reply button in the bottom right-hand corner. It picks out the one you want automatically. Then trim away all the bumph, or whatever you want to do with it.

13. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Dang, you got in 60 seconds before me!

I knew I shouldn't have eaten those last 12 M&M's. Now it looks like I'm labouring the point.

Dang, my slow clumsy tiping fimgbers....

;)

14. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

And I even went to the little boys room before posting.... :D

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, the G5 is great, I'd love one. However I wouldn't start giving them too much praise. The G5 is over due an update, and the rest of the product line up is pathetic, and in desparate need of drastic revisions. Apple need to buck their ideas up pronto. Just having a good top of the line (pro) machine and a fantastic MP3 player is not enough.

16. Kiwi-Todd thread starter macrumors member

Sweet! - cheers guys

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Man you are so right< Dual G5s may be nice but Alienware is kicking its butt. Even Macworld magazine had to admit the fastest PC wasnt a Mac but something that Aliens left behind! And like you said anything with a G4 in it is stale old bread and how long has it been for updates to 3/4 of the models they make? Yeah they have a great pods but so what.

18. Kiwi-Todd thread starter macrumors member

I agree with that -that would have really burned especially when you see the benchmark scores between the SP and DP machines.

19. Kiwi-Todd thread starter macrumors member

Yes - it would be nice to see SP G5s throughout the consumer range - and I understand why people want the speedbumps on the powermacs - apple set up the expectations at WWDC last year with the '3.0GHZ by next summer'.

I was just taking time to reflect on what a great machine the G5 is compared to where the top o' the line was last March - things have come a long way I think you'll agree!

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes, they have come a long way, well, the pro (read - expensive!) line has anyway; and it's great! But then they should never have got so far behind in the first place :rolleyes: And as I said, the rest of the line up is an embarrassment IMO, not something to be proud of at all. They are free from moto, now's the time to get moving!!!!!

21. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

if Dual G5's are good enough for Nasa and Virginia Tech, then it makes sense to me why my G4 867mhz does everything i want it to do and in a timely manner, most of which is 24 bit multi-track audio.
    I have only run into one limitation, last night ripping a DVD to .mp4.. took 3 hours, boo hoo.

christ people are you curing cancer with your macs? is this what merits the need for something so much better ALL THE TIME ?

show me a person with a dual 2.0 ghz G5, 8GB's of Ram, and a 10,000 RPM hard drive that is complaining about how slow his/her computer is.

how can you say that the G5 is overdue an update when you don't even own one?

you know a G3 is all the machine you need to get on forums.macrumors.com and complain about how weak the G5 is.

will it ever be enough?

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I cant be all that excited, we have had motostagnation for 5 years. If Apple didnt do something soon it and its g4 products would have died. IBM has thrown Apple a lifesaver. It still takes 2 G5s to match 1 Intel or AMD just like 4 years ago it took 2 G4s to match 1 Intel or AMD. whats new except they are still pushing those old G4s and then dragging their high and mighty corporate butt removing those stale G4s. They dont deserve congratulations they deserve a good ass beating for waiting forever to do anything about the slowest and worst CPU made by any current company. Let me remind you we still have a year of no progress AGAIN by motorola. Apple has 1 G5 product that you can take home today.

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't think you understand how the world of computing works, things are supposed to advance. Not stand still. Just because something can do a job does not mean that things should stop still. The G5 was launched an age ago, Steve promised 3GHz in the next 12 months, I would have expected a revision or two between the 2GHz a 3Ghz, wouldn't you? Well, as yet we havn't seen this. And Power Mac updates are kinda besides the point, for a Powerbook to be a Powerbook in this day and age it needs a G5. For an iMac to compete against what wintels have to offer they need a G5.
    Please, don't tell me that just because an iMac can do a job (surf the web, email or whatever) you'd buy one now? They are an out dated, out right rip-off of old technology. Shuving bigger and bigger screens on old kit is not good enough.
    Jesus, I don't see how you can defend Apple on this one :rolleyes:

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

at this rate, there'll be a G6 before I'm in the market again, so I'm not becoming testy with apple.

25. Fabrix2003 macrumors regular

1. The world is evolving, so majority of the ppl move with it too!
    2. If something new come son the market, ppl will wanna buy it, and the next one and the next one!

How do you know whats round the corner software wise that might be e revolution for mac users! Give it time. and Time Again. A little bit more time... and Bing there yo go.

Apple is a little bit like cooking a turkey little bit longer, just a little longer and bing comes out great then afer a while you feel stuffed(shafted) and feel that you will do better next time you cook a turkey :)