Apple I up for auction

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Mr. Anderson, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

An Apple I is being auctioned off by Vintage Computer. Bring your MasterCard, one of these babies went for $50k

The VCF is auctioning off a complete Apple-1 computer. The Apple-1 is one of the rarest and most highly prized of vintage computers.

http://www.vintage.org/special/apple-1/

2. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Man, that's sweet... who woulda thunk that a 24 year old circuit board would fetch 50K... didn't those things originally come with a wooden case? To me, that's half the value right there.

3. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

damn that's sweet...clean looking...

not many of those around anymore I'm sure... ;)

4. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah they were in a wooden case, kind of weird looking.

But this one doesn't come in a box, just the boards. But it does work, which is very cool

UPDATE: The Apple-1 was brought to operational condition on April 17. This Apple-1 is now being sold as a working unit. This represents the first time a known working Apple-1 has been auctioned.

5. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

doesn't Ensign have one of these...or his father??

I wonder if his' works or not?!

6. macrumors 6502

me hate windows

When you bought it, you just got the motherboard. You had to make a case yourself.

7. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

You're right... for some reason I always pictured the Apple I in that weird looking "desk" case, but according to apple-history.com you did indeed have to make the case yourself... and the original ad pictures just the mobo. It's amazing what a little research can do. ;)

Original price of $666.66... Well whadya know... after all this, Stevie might end up being the antichrist! :D

8. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That is such a strange price tag.

But I love the original Apple Computer logo from the manuals. Actually, I wouldn't mind owning just the manual, or a copy of it. That would be interesting reading.

Newton under the Apple Tree?

Attached Files:

9. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Wow, that really is a cool logo! That was back in the 70's when modelling designs after the 1800's was popular. It's certainly in stark contrast to the multi-colored Apple, isn't it.

10. macrumors 68000

mc68k

This logo was created by the third founder who was in charge of logo creation among other things at the time before he pulled out. I think they nixed it becuase it wasn't easily reproduced or read in a shrunk format.

Here's an interesting link for more Apple I info:

http://applefritter.com/apple1/archives.html

The mere fact that this one works and is being sold at the VCF should raise the price significantly.

11. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

12. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

$8500 now... it's amazing the money some people have. :)

13. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Welp, we're into the five digits now: $10000!

14. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

My father has an Apple-I in storage, I haven't seen it for awhile, I know he really doesn't want to sell it, I hope I get my hands on it one day.

He says it was working on the day he put it in storage, i doubt it still does. I will talk to him.

Ensign

15. macrumors regular

16. macrumors regular

Keep it

Imagine how much it will be worth in another 20 years..

17. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Welp, it ended up at 14 Grand. Not as much as I would have expected, though it's not exactly chump change. :D

Meanwhile, I think I'll go buy a top-of-the-line G5 and save the extra 11 Grand. :D

18. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I would have to wonder if they couldn't have gotten more if it had been put up in eBay. Considering one went for 50k, 14k must be something of a let down. Not only that, there were only 5 bidders, and the high bidder outbid himself, thinking that at the last moment, he needed the extra 1500. And if the owner wanted to wait till it got to say 25k as a minimum sale.

19. macrumors regular

Yes I thought it would get more, too. Especially since they claim it is the first one sold that actually worked.

Maybe they didn't go with ebay because the ebay fees would be tons

20. macrumors 68000

mc68k

Major dissapointment. You'd think that these would be worth more to people. I heard it said that this is the most sought after microcomputer for collectors. Now I'm beginning to wonder...