Apple iCar.. oh wait.. it's the Toyota PM

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by techne, Jan 2, 2004.

1. techne macrumors member

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

just looks like kick ass go cart to me. i can see this being popular in japan and stuff, but nobody would buy that in states for a primary car, or at least i dont think they would.

iJon

3. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Yeah, but where are the flying cars?

Also:
    How frightfully impersonal. And lame. No thanks.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Apple iCar.. oh wait.. it's the Toyota PM

That's what the intentions of the Toyota Matrix were...GenX. It didn't really work out that way though, and I've seen more "regular" people driving them around. Of course, if u get it decked out, it's quite the Mac user's style vehicle. ;)

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm a Baby Boomber, but think it's a very niffty looking car. It really does have a Apple iCar type of look. The big problem would be if it had head and leg room to accomodate a giant. You never know it just might catch on here in the US, look at the Mini Cooper.

6. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

I've noticed that a lot of these cars they're designing for "Gen X'ers" and such are just plain ugly to us. A good amount of people driving these cars are baby boomers. Perhaps they're recapturing their youth? Personally I'd feel silly driving a car just for my generation, makes me feel a tad alienated.

7. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Well said. They make me feel patronized. I don't know quite how to explain why, but a lot of these so-called Gen X autos remind me of pricey athletic shoes and trendy hiking boots. And I don't wear any of those. I prefer classy-looking shoes.

Ironically, lately I am most impressed with the styling of a line that is traditionally marketed to older people: Cadillac. The recent major revisions are really sharp-looking.

8. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

Funny, me and my dad went out today looking at new cars just to torture outselves. I like the Cadilacs too but I've really been impressed with Infinity lately. A friend of mine got a 97 I30 and its been a really cool car. But yeah, though a bit stodgy, they are classic designs and really show style rather than the latest fad.

9. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

It'll be interesting to see how it looks after a "fender-bender" with a Hummer.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

haha, thats what i was thinking.

iJon

11. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

How is this for Gen X ?

most Gen X are old enough to be where Baby Boomers were 10 years ago with Vans. ... the Gen X vehicle is the SUV ...

this looks more like the vehicle for Gen Y (tweenies)

12. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

It looks like a baby carriage (pram). By the looks of it, it doesn't look much bigger. It also would fair as well as a baby carriage in any type of collision.

13. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    That thing has so many capabilities and doo-dads (raises up and down, pivots, seat moves all over the place, sides change color all the time) that it'll be a wonder if it ever gets 1/2 hour per charge...unless what you DON'T see is the battery pack traveling behind it on a teather.;)

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Best quote of the the article "A wacky feature included is an array of 2500 light-emitting diodes all over the sides of the car that constantly shift color. Car and Driver says of this feature: "We have to wonder how that affects range…"

Looks more like a futuristic cyro chamber on wheels. It would be fun taking it around town just for the looks you'd get :D

D

15. techne thread starter macrumors member

More Toyota PM pics

More pics from the Tokio Auto Shop

http://www.supercars.de/singlecar/157/817.html

By the way, I didnt mean to state nothing important with the over-the-top phrase about the future. I always had got an appeal for spacey and futuristic products and it simply made me remember how future was supposed to be when I was a kid.

Little cars are very popular in Europe and some latinoamerican countries. Main reason for europeans seems to be that Gas is very expensive over there. Gas is really cheap here (about 16-20lts per dollar) and the reason for its popularity is its price, Fiat and Renault used to sell a lot of cars here.

I'm not surprised that most US guys find this car ugly because some years ago a friend from Boston visiting my city told that the Renault Twingo was the ugliest car he had ever seen and it was very rare to see something like that in US. Althought it wasnt the cheapest of the compact cars of that year, it was very popular here and over Europe.

16. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Re: More Toyota PM pics

Well can't speak for the states

but Fiat made a run here in Canada, but just wasn't build for the distances, not build to last as it were. However last i checked Fiat was having some financial problems and may very well be going out of business all together, which is to bad since the Fiat Stilo in the 3 door version with the 2.4 L engine and 189 horsepower was a nice car 0 - 60 mph in like 6 - 7 seconds

the Twingo is an ugly car, the 3 door megana isn't bad ... but Renault had a lot nicer cars a few years ago

But i think that these companies have potential with the 3 door versions here, since, atleast in my group of friends, small cars are king

17. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Re: More Toyota PM pics

This vehicle will never work in the U.S... Notice how thin you have to be to fit inside of it. :D

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Re: Re: More Toyota PM pics

I suppose that could be avoided if Mr. Schu takes a pay cut :D

19. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

Just looked at the pics of this thing, haven't read the specs/details... but at first glance, this looks pretty non-sensical to me, and not at all related to the tiny European and Japanese cars out there. The basic principle of existing tiny subcompact cars (such as the Ford Ka, Fiat Cinquecento, VW Lupo, Renault Twingo, SmartCar, Mercedes A1, Daewoo Matitz, etc) is to create a maximum of interior space with a minimum of footprint/wheelbase, while minimizing air friction with an extremely streamlined shape for fuel efficiency (these cars can get 70+ mpg while seating 4 adults + some cargo, so there is a reason for the design).
    This car doesn't use its wheelbase to create space; in fact, it's wasting space it seems. Thus, barring the other innovations it offers, just from a design perspective, it appears that "looking different/weird/new" dictated the design more than actually making sense. Or am I missing something here?

20. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Read the specs. It will make a little more sense. It seems designed for the single, urban dweller.

21. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

The cars may get over 70 mpg ... but i wouldn't accuse these cars of fitting 4 adults and cargo, On a short trip 4 adults maybe ... on a long trip, two adults and cargo. the only way your gonna fit 4 adults on a longer trip is if you pack the roof with luggage to a pile the size of the entire Car, but once you do that your no longer getting 70 mpg.

Not to mention that these car sport 0.9L - 1.2L engines with many of them not breaking 100 horsepower ... So fill them up with 4 adults, and cargo, and your reving to 4000 - 5000 rpm .. so your definitely not getting good milage

Like Awimoway mentioned ... the idea is for a single person, traveling in the city. I saw a similar design a few years back for a vehicle that had 4 wheels, but simulated driving a motorcycle, because the cock pit would pivot, around turns just like you would in a motorcycle.

22. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Re: Re: More Toyota PM pics

LOL right on target!