Apple II disk import question.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Plastic Avatar, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Plastic Avatar macrumors member

I've been carrying around a 5.25" floppy for 20 years now [eek!!!], and I want to try and archive the contents before it gets ruined (if it hasn't already).

I thought "Maybe if I find a 5.25" cheap I could rig something with an external enclosure and run an emulator..... but finding a USB 5.25" might be a problem, and would it even work with the emulator?"

I've got a Classic, a Pismo, and my new iMac is in route. Surely I could find a way to get these files off the disk?

If you have any suggestions, please throw 'em my way :)

Help my retrieve the work I did in 8th grade! I've got a grading program I made for my teachers, stupid blocky art, and maybe a Wizardry save game in there somewhere.... and it all screams to be rescued from obsolescence!

[ahem]

:D

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Got a PC? Because thats the only way your getting it off without spending a boat load of cash on a LC475 or equiv and the Apple II emulation card off of eBay. Thats the only other way to archive the data off the diskette.

3. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

You can find an Apple II emulator at this nifty place . But as someone else has said already, you might need to get a cheap, older Apple with a floppy drive to get the data from your disk. It's doable, just might take a bit.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Macs never shipped with 5.25" floppies. However, I believe that there are some [very] old third-party add-ons that will allow an old Mac to read them.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Look for an old Apple 5.25 Floppy for the Classic

By 'Classic', I assume you mean a circa 1991 Macintosh Classic all-in-one computer.

If so, it has an old Apple floppy port on the back. Go to eBay, and search for 'Apple Drive 5.25' Any of these will work on the Classic, and the Mac OS as of System 7 can read AppleDOS disks just fine. Copy the files you want onto a 3.5" disk, and put that 3.5" disk in your external USB floppy drive on your newer Mac.

6. vga4life macrumors 6502

No! Never plug an Apple 5.25" drive into the floppy port on a Macintosh. You will fry the floppy controller.

Please don't ruin old mac hardware this way.

7. Plastic Avatar thread starter macrumors member

What do I need to do?

I no longer have a PC, but I've got access to many.

What trick do I need to perform to get the PC to read the files on the disk so I can copy them to CD?

No cash to spend.... just spent my savings on a new iMac =)

Thought it sure would be cool to run an Apple II emulator and look at my old files on my new machine, though :D

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

You'll need to get hold of an old 5.25 inch floppy disk drive that you can plug straight into the PC's motherboard via the floppy cable (they normally have two connectors for two floppy drives - if there's only one then you'll need to temporarily disconnect your 3.5 inch floppy. WORD OF WARNING THOUGH: If you plug in the data cable the wrong way round to the floppy drives then the access light will stay on constantly and any disks you insert into the drive will be wiped. This is definatey true for 3.5" drives, I'm not sure about 5.25 inchers.

Phil

9. Plastic Avatar thread starter macrumors member

No emulator needed?

The PC will read that old disk without any tweaking? Just checking. Going to go to a friend's house Wednesday to give it a try. He's still got 5.25 floppies in some of his machines =)

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No. This web page lays out the hardware issues. What you need is a utility that will allow an IBM-compatible with 5.25" floppy drives to read Apple ][ 5.25 disks.