Apple In-Ear Headphones...irreplaceable?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by noaccess, Sep 28, 2006.

1. noaccess macrumors 6502

Hi,

Some of you may know my background, but for those who don't, I'm from Eastern Europe and happen to live in the vecinity of one of only two Apple authorized resellers in the whole country.

In May I bought a pair... correction... my second pair of Apple in-ear headphones, which became defective after only 4 months of use - the left one had become much more silent than the right. Just like the first pair. I turn them in, the salesman takes them, sends them to Bucharest, tells me there's a 99% chance that I'll receive a replacement. After waiting a week for their response, I phone this sales person and he tells me that the headphones are considered by Apple Romania to be consumable.

After I told him to clarify consumable, he told me that they're like ink... they are expected to just "run out", that it's "normal" for them to become defective as time goes by and that I will not receive a replacement. Of course, I argued with him and mentioned the 1-year warranty, but he became angry and started to threaten me. I told him if he doesn't replace the headphones, which are still under warranty, I'll e-mail Steve Jobs, and hung up. I still have the box from my first pair of in-ears and, needless to say, inside I found a Worldwide 1 Year Limited Warranty booklet.

Now, my question is... is this normal? Should I receive a replacement? And if so, who do I contact? I'd like to receive feedback on this problem.

I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you for your time. I know, it's a delicate issue.

Thanks

2. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Did you BUY the second pair? Or get it through warranty. Because I think if you get the second pair as a replacement, the warranty for them ends one year after you bought the FIRST pair of headphones (At least, that's what happened to me. I'm on my third pair now!) I might be wrong though.

On a side note, if you don't mind me asking, where in Romania do you live? (or even a general area). I love Eastern Europe, and Romania has always been high on my list of countries to go to!

3. noaccess thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey there,

Yes, I bought the second pair. From the store and the guy I just spoke to on the phone. The first pair I bought in Germany at a more affordable price, if this is of any relevance.

And oh, I live in Cluj-Napoca, in north-west Romania :).

4. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

I wonder whether it is worth you calling the Apple Online Store and seeing whether they can help. The biggest thing to try and achieve is reporting the bad service that you have received from one of their Authorised Resellers who, I am sure, are expected to deliver something close to an Apple-level of service. Certainly I would not consider headphones to be consumables in the same way as paper and ink and a refund/replacement should clearly be offered, particularly not when they come with a guarantee.

5. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Well, if you're first pair broke, you could have gotten the second pair for free (under warranty). But since you PAID for the second pair, and they're still under warranty, you're owed another pair. I called Apple and asked for a replacement because the metal circle underneath the earplug had come off (the glue came unstuck and and the metal circle can slide around). however, they're still perfectly functioning headphone (no sound issues). I called apple to get another pair, and they didn't even make me send in the broken pair to see if they were really broken. They just sent out another pair. So I now have a brand new pair of in-ears ready to be used whenever the current ones break. So yeah, you're definitely owed some headphones. The salesman can't do anything about it though, all warranties have to be done through apple. Give Apple Romania a call for yourself, and they'll be able to help you out.

My math professor went to university in Cluj-Napoca. Babes-Bolyai, isn't it?

Anyway, good luck with your headphones!

6. noaccess thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your quick replies :).

I'll give Apple Romania a call tomorrow, the call center is open until 6 PM and it's now 7:30 PM.

And yeah, that's the place! I live on the street where the Chemistry Department of the Babes-Bolyai university is located. Do you mind if I ask who your Math Professor is? :)
    If you're ever here in Romania, you're always welcome to e-mail me or IM me if you need any help around. :).

7. Nuks macrumors 6502a

yeah sure. Her name is Oana Radu.

http://www.math.mun.ca/~oana/

And I'll definitely send you an email or something. I plan on making it to Romania as soon as possible. All of Eastern Europe for that matter, but Romania has always interested me.

8. noaccess thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, I'll update my profile to include my most recent e-mail address and my IM usernames, it's been a long time since I've done that.

You can contact me anytime.

9. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Alright, well I'm sure we'll eventually be in touch.

Take care

10. noaccess thread starter macrumors 6502

This is outrageous

Apple Romania just told me the same thing... To summarize, the operator told me the headphones are consumable (again) and, as such, aren't elligible for a replacement.

Despite the fact that I actually read this whole paragraph to him on the phone, he repeated himself, saying that it's not a replaceable/serviceable/whatever product, even tho it's under warranty, and even tho the warranty booklet clearly states the fact that they are to be replaced if a defect arises. :eek:

I know, maybe 60$ isn't a large sum of money and that I could simply buy another pair of new headphones (again), but why buy a product that won't last longer than a few months and is not serviceable (apparently only according to the idiots who run Apple Romania)?

I don't know what else I could do now. I'm stuck at this point.
    Any suggestions? (please)

11. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Do you have an equivalent to the Citizen's Advice Center in the UK where you can go to get free advice on things like legal issues. Frankly, I'd suggest that it's time to get pissy and see what your legal rights are under the terms of the warranty and possibly threaten to take Apple to court. Failing this you could just demand to speak to the Apple representative's manager and demand satisfaction.

Incidentally, I'm not suggesting that you actually take on legal action but at least check to make sure that your position is correct and then threaten to make their lives difficult. For example, you could also suggest that you'll contact the press and give them your story since I'm sure they'd be at least moderately interested (Apple-bashing seems to be "in" these days). For a set of headphones I'd expect Apple to cave on this issue, particularly if they are in the wrong...

12. noaccess thread starter macrumors 6502

I have several acquaintances who are lawyers and could talk to them about this issue. Or maybe call Apple Ro. again and have one of my parents talk (I'm 16, and I'm sure this didn't help me at all). I threatened to contact the press or write directly to Steve Jobs, but that didn't help, the operator told me to "Go ahead!" right before I hung up.
    Thanks for your suggestions. If this doesn't work, I don't know what will. :(

13. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Well, threatening to write to Steve probably doesn't have much effect since I'm sure that they hear this all the time. To put it into context, I work for FedEx and have heard customers on a number of occasions claiming that they'' write to Fred Smith or that they even know him personally. For employees, particularly those managing the telephone, this isn't scary.

However, there is a lot to be said for writing a clear letter of complaint (typed and by post rather than email) to Apple Romania addressed to something like the Customer Services Manager to explain your grievence and to demand a replacement, as is your rights under the warranty. If you have already done your homework with people in the legal profession who have advised you that you are within your rights then citing this information should also help.

It's a **** that you are having to go through this, and you might be best buying a new set of headphones in the meantime, but don't give up on this if you are advised that you are entitled to a replacement. Be a pain to Apple.

14. noaccess thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll see what I can do. I think that direct legal action is in order here.
    Apple Romania doesn't even seem to have a Customer Services Manager, since the official website doesn't offer any contact info besides some phone numbers I have already called to and emails to the people I just spoke to on the phone. And I understand why my threatening to contact his Stevieness didn't have any effect.

That's allright. I'll keep going at it until I have a new set of headphones. In the meantime... I think buying Sony Fontopia headphones wouldn't be a bad idea.

Thanks again :)

15. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Hmm, I can't see an official Apple presence in Romania from their web site so you might as well write directly to their corporate headquarters. The address is as follows:

Apple
    1 Infinite Loop
    Cupertino, CA 95014
    UNITED STATES

I'd still recommend addressing it to Customer Services Manager and outlining everything that has happened. Since you've taken the time and effort to send a letter rather than a throw-away email I'd expect your issue to be taken more seriously.

16. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Apple Romania is run by an independent company called IRIS, so you are really dealing with a reseller even at the national level. It may be difficult to get Apple involved, but you probably will have to write to California to get any results :(

17. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

Im 15 and called apple and complained about my 80 gig ipod's headphones and they sent me a new pair in 2 days... And when the usb cord wouldnt get recognized on any of the ipods i have they sent me another of those too... I dont know about how Apple Romania is but if they are like Apple US, they should have replaced the headphones already..

18. noaccess thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm getting a replacement for my headphones on Wednesday :).

What I did was I went to the local Consumer Protection Office, a public authority, filed a complaint and went to the local Apple Reseller, where I originally bought the product and where that bitchy salesman works.

Of course, the fact that I filed an official complaint scared 'em off and he immediately offered to replace the defective product. He was angry as hell, but going through this was well worth it.

So thanks for all your advice :) and I hope I won't have any more appley problems from now on.

19. generik macrumors 601

generik

That is nonsense, it has a warranty, consumable or not does not factor into it at all.

20. bossass macrumors regular

Do yourself a favor and get better headphones. The apple ones suck. This is a blessing in disguise.

21. Nuks macrumors 6502a

22. matttrick macrumors 6502

that guy is a piece of crap. i would sit outside and tell people about how if they want warranty coverage they need to file official complaints with consumer protection. i hate how you have to raise the roof to get action out of these damn people.

23. vgalbin, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2014