Apple In-Ear Headphones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mrgreen4242, Sep 8, 2005.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Are the Apple In Ear headphones any good? I'm talking about these not the ones that ship with the iPod. Are they comfortable and do they stay in your ears well? How's the sound quality? They get mixed reviews on Apple site (literally, all either 1 star or 5... it's kinda weird). The ones that came with the iPod are OK, but they are uncomfortable (for me) and I find it hard to position them in my ears.

2. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

They're good, considering I got them for $24.99 at Bestbuy b/c they were trying to get rid of it. For the $39.99 price, It is alright.. The fit is sometimes hard to get into your ear and stay in place, but the sound is good.(comparing to the stock headphones)
    Plus you get the nice case and the "Designed by Apple in California" factor ;)

3. iGary Guest

iGary

For what you pay for them, they are fine - decent sound.

I use them for excercise, well I USED to use them for running...

I love my E3C's.

4. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I got a pair of these shortly after I got my iPod and I love them. They fit my ears really well and the sound quality is excellent, when they're properly sealed in your ear. That's the trick with all in-ear headphones, you have to have a tight seal in your ear for them to sound really good. If you don't have the seal then it will sound hollow and tinny.

I've recommended them to many people and they've been happy with them.

5. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

they SUCK ...i returned them 3 days after i bought them...they fit very uncomfortable( even after using the spare things it came with)...and the sound sucks....they always fell outta my ear.....E3C's are cool...if u wanna spend over $120 on ear phones....

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

look into Sony's fontopia line of in ear headphones, i think they are the best cost/quality ratio personally.... and they are comfortable.

the Apple ones would be for a little bit, but because of the way they are designed they slip out easily and you constantly have to re-adjust them

7. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

Yup, plus Sony makes them in white. Perfect match and I hate the Apple ones cause every one has them in their ears.

8. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I three the cookie...

Totally agree with the Sony posts. Great sound. Silicon ear gaskets really dampen external sound. Now come in white. Good price. It will be a long time before I replace them. I've yanked on them (accidently) a LOT and they still haven't busted.

P.S. Anyone want to four the cookie?

9. KittenKrusher macrumors regular

I bought them with my iPod and hate them. They are tough to get a perfect seal, but I will admit when you do, they sound great. But for me that was about 5% of the time. When you do get that seal they just fall out.

Also, when you get that seal, they look weird in your ear. I don't know if anyone looked at themselves with them in, but they just stick straight out of your ear then the cord hangs. It just looks F'n stupid. Apple made them too long and the shape is wrong so that the ends literaly stick straight out of your ear instead of sticking down and hanging.

I bought the Etymotic 6i's for $100. But I never got charged on my CC for them so I got them for free, lol.

10. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I like mine but don't use them when I'm moving around so much, my wife loves them.

It can be difficult at first to get a good seal but with practice and they do sound good.

It depends on how much you want to be with Apple.

11. Alasta macrumors regular

Alasta

I personally found that the in-ear earphones were the only Apple product that I've ever bought that I didn't like.

As others have pointed out, the reason why reviews tend to be either extremely good or extremely poor is that some people know how to insert the earphones correctly, and some don't. When you acheive a good seal, the sound quality is reasonable, but I still found that they were uncomfortable and didn't seem to stay securely sealed.

I've since replaced them with a pair of Sennheiser PX200s which I'm much more satisfied with, but I tend to prefer ear-cup style headphones anyway, so I guess it comes down to personal taste.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

These are the ones that i mentioned earlier in case you are interested:

link

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

So what are you trying to say?

You don't like them?