Apple In-Store iPad Trade-In Program Now Available in UK, Germany, Spain and France

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 19, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple today is expanding its iPad trade-in program to retail stores in several European countries, including France, Germany, Spain, and the UK. As spotted by and, the program allows customers to recycle older iPad models at their local Apple retail stores and provides them with credits they can use towards the purchase of new devices.

Apple launched the iPad program last month in the U.S. and Canada on Earth Day as part of a larger green initiative to help consumers recycle old iOS devices. Customers can visit Apple retail stores and trade in their iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4 and iPad mini for store credit. The newer iPad Air and Retina iPad mini are not yet eligible for redemption.

The company has not revealed how much it will pay for these recycled devices in its international stores, but the pricing likely mirrors the existing trade-in program available in the U.S., with reduced prices for older devices and those in poor physical condition. Though not confirmed, Apple also may accept broken and non-working devices for free, providing a way for customers to responsibly recycle these devices.

The iPad program is similar to an existing in-store iPhone recycling program that debuted in the U.S. last August before expanding to the UK a few months later and several more European countries and Canada last month.

Article Link: Apple In-Store iPad Trade-In Program Now Available in UK, Germany, Spain and France
  2. macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Dec 15, 2013
    Yay! But I would never give up my old devices.
  3. macrumors 68000

Dec 13, 2010
    Isnt this where they give you like ten bucks for an ip4?
  4. macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2012
    Wop - £140 for a 2 year old iPad which a friend has offered me £240 for it :D
  5. macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2012
    Rather sell it in ebay or any other marketplace.
  6. macrumors member

Dec 7, 2013
    When will it be in Asia, especially India. After the demise of Apple like Blackberry?
  7. macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2005
    They should not be destroyed, but reused by other person. This is utterly anti-ecological.
  8. macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2011
    "We are determined, one way or another, to have 100% compliance. All of our iDevices MUST run iOS 7 or else...!" -- Tim Cook.
  9. Philip D, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014

macrumors newbie

May 16, 2014
    So in Europe we are charged 40-60% more for our Apple devices compared to the US, but surprise, surprise, the recycle price in both places is the same. :p
  10. macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2012
    This is yet another way to make money from lazy people. Google music magpie for details...
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2012
    May accept broken broken or non-working iPads for free?

I thought under EU recycling rules that the manufacturer has to take these types of items back at end-of-life for free (because the customer paid for this ability in the purchase price); isn't this the case?
  12. macrumors 65816

Feb 19, 2010
    Yes. Actually I think that you can take it to any retailer for recycling, doesn't have to be the manufacturer or even the store you bought it from.
  13. swm
    macrumors member

May 29, 2013
    you know, every time an iPad is sold overseas, an olympic swimmer is dispatched with 1 piece to replenish the stock. this is behind the 40%. :D
  14. macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2012
    Its stupid - they use the EU as a tax haven and yet they try to sell there products for much more and complain why they struggle to get a larger market share - over-prized
    Mind you all the US companies do it :mad:
  15. macrumors 68000

Oct 31, 2005
    Big lesson learned...

I traded in my 2 iPhone 4's to Verizon when I got my iPhone 5s's. They calculated that I would get $125 each for them. That was back when the 5s first came out. I still haven't received any money for the phones I sent to them.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Dec 31, 2012
    Buffalo, NY
  17. macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2006
    Don't delay! Act now! Jimmy Iovine and Angela Ahrendts will be on hand personally to accept your trade-in and give you a credit slip for $15!
  18. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

May 23, 2010
    We have a better recycle program...

I get a new iPad or iPhone
    My old iPad or iPhone goes to my 11-year-old daughter
    Her old iPad or iPhone goes to her 5-year-old sister

Works great and everyone stays happy. However, next upgrade we may have to figure out where to sell 5-year-old's iDevices.
  19. macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2006
    Fantastic program!

If you don't need the extra money, perhaps the 5-year-old's iOS devices can be donated to a local library or school. I'm sure they would love to have them.

In any case, kudos to you for being a smart consumer AND a great dad!
  20. macrumors member

May 28, 2013
    I'm the same, can't be bothered with the hassle of selling devices but I budget for a new iPad every year if it has enough 'new' to warrant it.
  21. macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2009
    Is it worth it

I wonder what I could get for my iPad 2 at Apple vs. private sale? :confused:
  22. macrumors 68000

Cuban Missles

Dec 6, 2012
    My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    When I traded in my 4s for a 5s I got $210. That was about $10 more than on other trade-in sites but probably about $40 less than on eBay. However, it was a lot less hassle.

I do not think the article said anything about destroying. In most cases, apple will refurbish and resell the product. If it is too far-gone, Apple does a good job of recycling the parts. Even Greenpeace has given apple high marks.

My suggestion is to have another child so that you can keep the program going. Otherwise you cannot buy another device as it would destroy such a great program :D
  23. macrumors member

Jun 17, 2009
    4S or 5C/S

So, just back from Apple Store with a 4S which to see what I would get for trade in. As the phone is not working fully (screen is fine and it functions fine but power and volume buttons don't work).

I was told I would get about £60 for it under the trade in program (if I bought a new 5C or 5S). Or, I could make an appointment and for £159 can get a new 4S.

What would you do? eBay is always an option but as the phone is not working fully, I am not sure what I would get for it.
  24. macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2014
    This is ok for now, but won't work forever....
    5 year old won't stay 5, and will one day turn round and say, why am I always getting the old out of date stuff?? Tantrums will follow etc etc
  25. Moderator

Staff Member

Oct 11, 2005
    The Black Country, England
    Apple will give you £95 for a good condition 16GB wi-fi iPad 2.