Apple in Talks for On-Demand Streaming Music Service, Considering Android iTunes App

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple is considering launching an on-demand streaming service similar to Spotify in light of declining music sales, reports Billboard. The service would be part of a multi-prong strategy that may also include an iTunes app for Android.
    In January, it was reported that music sales had declined for the first time since the iTunes Store opened 2003, with individual song downloads falling 5.7 percent from 1.34 billion units sold to 1.26 billion, and digital album sales dropping to 117.6 million units from 117.7 million units.

In recent months, Apple has attempted to lure more customers with exclusive album releases, such as Beyoncé's fifth album, released first on iTunes, and has been pushing record companies for additional deals of that nature.

Album sales have remained down, however, as streaming services have risen in popularity, prompting Apple to explore other options as well. A March report from the RIAA indicated Spotify, Pandora, and YouTube had generated $1.4 billion in subscription, advertising, and licensing revenues in the U.S. in 2013, a 39 percent increase from 2012.

Apple introduced its iTunes Radio streaming music service last year, but it is station-based like Pandora, limiting how many songs users can choose for themselves. An iTunes service similar to Spotify or Beats Music would allow listeners to pick and choose all of their content, which could potentially be accessed on other non-Apple platforms like Android.
    Apple's talks with record labels about a possible expansion of iTunes Radio into a full-fledged music streaming service are still in the early stages, and the company has declined to comment.

Article Link: Apple in Talks for On-Demand Streaming Music Service, Considering Android iTunes App

2. Guest

Sky Blue

Spotify like service would be great, don't get a lot of use out of iTunes Radio as it is.

3. macrumors member

Yogomi

Enough with the streaming music services. We need a streaming television service that includes AMC, Comedy Central, the likes and premium offerings similar to HBOGO.

-Y.

4. macrumors 604

bushido

sounds great i hate those radio kind of things as they never play what i want and id rather make my own playlists. spotify in the meantime has turned me into a legal music customer :)

5. macrumors regular

atticus27

google play music app is awesome on android. I can cache 20 gb's of music at around 2-3 on my phone to conserve space.
    iTunes on android would be a smart move, but the music play store has really good prices. They'll have new albums for $5. I doubt most people will use it, with the price difference

6. macrumors 65816

Frankied22

I would love to have an iTunes music streaming service

7. macrumors 603

I'm already using google music on my iOS and Android devices. I'm not sure I have a good reason to go the other way.

8. macrumors 65816

Four oF NINE

I still think there's something to be said for owning copies of particular music tunes. Those streaming services are more like rentals.

9. macrumors regular

I do still like owning my content.

Though would be great if it was incorporated into iTunes Match. £21.99 for all my music in the cloud and ad less spotify experience with iTunes catalogue. Charge me £50 to access TV shows and movies

10. macrumors 68040

iTunes on Android would be great. I assume old DRM protected music that currently only plays on Apple devices would then play on an Android phone?

11. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"iOS SUCKS, APPLE SUCKS, iOS USERS SUCK...

OMG, ITUNES FOR ANDROID?! YESSS!!!!!"

Excuse me while I go laugh.

12. macrumors 65816

3.5" is perfect! No, now 4" is perfect! Wait, 4.7" or 5.5" is very nice. Apple always innovates in mobile device sizes!

Excuse me while I go laugh.

13. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Not the point I'm trying to make.

The same people who criticize Apple for everything, who refuse to use Apple products, who throw names at those who use iOS and/or Macs, are going to turn right around and become Apple customers.

14. Gigaman, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014

macrumors regular

Lol no one said 4 inches was perfect or that Apple innovates in screen sizes. Ever.

15. macrumors 68030

tkermit

Considering hell froze over once before, in 2003, I suppose it could happen.

16. stuffradio, Mar 21, 2014

macrumors 65816

Go read all the threads about Apple making a 4.7 or 5.5" device. If you read lots of pages, you'll see several people saying they think 4" is perfect. I'm also using a Mac as my only computer.

17. macrumors regular

I'd say "meh" for the streaming on demand service. What's interesting is iTunes on android. It's kinda like pulling a Microsoft office on iOS.

But if Apple does send it over to android, they should pull a google and strip most features/functions like google's done on iOS hehe..

18. macrumors 68000

topmounter

I'm happy as long as Apple doesn't buy Spotify.

19. macrumors 6502a

Says you! In Canada, we don't have Spotify, Pandora, or iTunes Radio. :(

20. Gigaman, Mar 21, 2014

macrumors regular

What does using a Mac have to do with anything??? Anyone can say anything; Steve jobs said 3.5 inches was perfect and that's what made that size significant . You've failed again.

21. macrumors regular

They should buy Spotify. I feel like iTunes UI has gone to hell over the years. I think Apple would benefit from Spotify

22. macrumors member

I'm pretty much an all-Rdio all-the-time kind of guy, but if Apple made a similar service with a similar price I'd switch in a heartbeat.

23. macrumors 6502a

Apple released iTunes for Windows to sell iPods to Windows users. The iTunes Store has never been a meaningful business on its own---it's always existed to sell Apple hardware.

I doubt Apple is seriously considering iTunes for Android, because it would completely undermine the whole point of iTunes. More likely is that a music executive proposed the idea in negotiations, and Apple agreed to consider it. If Apple does release iTunes for Android, it will signal a major strategy shift: away from hardware, and toward services.

24. macrumors 6502a

Spotify works well for me for bulk casual listening.

For the music I really love - vinyl.

25. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if apple brought imessage over, i'd be happy.