Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
How much do you pay for internet access?
About $50, but obviously I use that for many other things besides streaming video. And internet + all the subscriptions I mentioned earlier STILL come in cheaper than a cable package.

The reason Comcast is so eager to make this deal is that with each passing day, the ideal of "a la carte cable" is coming closer to reality in the form of streaming set-top box channels and other varieties of internet-based HD video. Cord cutting is real, and they're making a last-ditch effort to keep people tied to a decades-old distribution model. This is why cable companies are fighting net-neutrality so hard. We want internet service to be a utility like electricity or old phone service — they want to be the gatekeepers to content they sell us access to.

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
About $50, but obviously I use that for many other things besides streaming video. And internet + all the subscriptions I mentioned earlier STILL come in cheaper than a cable package.

The reason Comcast is so eager to make this deal is that with each passing day, the ideal of "a la carte cable" is coming closer to reality in the form of streaming set-top box channels and other varieties of internet-based HD video. Cord cutting is real, and they're making a last-ditch effort to keep people tied to a decades-old distribution model.

But Comcast and the cable companies own the system to deliver the content to your home. If they lose enough revenue due to all of the streaming services, they'll raise the internet access prices. How are you going to get service without them? It will be many years before someone else builds out a new system to cut them out.

georgetang

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
I too finally cracked it!

I too finally cracked it!

It was an amazing experience to realize what the late Mr. Steve Jobs meant on "I finally cracked it".

I have seen what he meant about the future of TV, aka Apple TV, and how it will revolutionize the entire industry and user experience, just like what iPhone did for the mobile phone industry.

My next steps would research on whether the entire idea(s), mechanisms, and functionalities are patented, if not, I would have to do so, and fast.

All I can say now, it's like iPhone all the puzzle are out there, it's just who have the ability to put them together and bring out the best user experience.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
But Comcast and the cable companies own the system to deliver the content to your home. If they lose enough revenue due to all of the streaming services, they'll raise the internet access prices. How are you going to get service without them? It will be many years before someone else builds out a new system to cut them out.

These are multi-billion dollar companies who already have their tentacles in everything you see on your screen. As far as I'm concerned, Internet access should be as regulated as any other utility. You wouldn't stand for your electric utility only letting you use approved blenders, would you? I mean, think of all the revenue ConEd would be getting if I had to buy all my appliances from them. Gosh, they might raise electricity prices, and then there won't be any electricity and it will be many years before someone builds out a new system to cut them out. Tell me how this is any different.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
These are multi-billion dollar companies who already have their tentacles in everything you see on your screen. As far as I'm concerned, Internet access should be as regulated as any other utility. You wouldn't stand for your electric utility only letting you use approved blenders, would you? I mean, think of all the revenue ConEd would be getting if I had to buy all my appliances from them. Gosh, they might raise electricity prices, and then there won't be any electricity and it will be many years before someone builds out a new system to cut them out. Tell me how this is any different.

You pay the electric company for the electricity you use, no matter who makes the blender. They get paid for the service they provide. They make their money selling electricity. A different blender maker still uses the same amount of electricity. Electric company is happy.

Cable companies make their money selling TV, internet and in some cases phone service. If they lose enough revenue from Netflix, Hulu, etc and people start using more bandwidth, they are going to raise their rates, just like the cell companies. Apple cannot get content into your home without using a third party provider. And those ISP's aren't going to lose TV revenue and keep their their internet rates the same. As soon as the financial hit gets to be too much, your rates are going to go up. Apple is not in the drivers seat here.

----------

Actually Comcast does. They bought some company, and have to uphold net neutrality as part of their agreement with the regulators.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/23/5...urnal-confirms-multiyear-traffic-deal-between

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
AT&T bought Cingular and got iPhone. Verizon got left behind...
Comcast will buy TimeWarner cable and get iTV. Will Verizon get left behind again?

The start of something big? Time will tell.

You spun that in a very biased way. If Apple had both gone to Verizon and not asked for ridiculous terms (note the changes with AT&T to gain a subsidized iphone) they would have limited the growth of Android.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
would love to have apple provide live TV.

but I don't understand how this would work if you were on charter/time warner/whatever serviced internet.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Apple fiber? Im not here for Apple Comcast anything.

----------

You spun that in a very biased way. If Apple had both gone to Verizon and not asked for ridiculous terms (note the changes with AT&T to gain a subsidized iphone) they would have limited the growth of Android.

Vzn put stuff on those androids that make it virtually impossible to get the latest updates to the OS even when they are security updates. Apples terms were not ridiculous. VZN caved and got the iPhone anyway because it was losing subscribers to ATT.

----------

You pay the electric company for the electricity you use, no matter who makes the blender. They get paid for the service they provide. They make their money selling electricity. A different blender maker still uses the same amount of electricity. Electric company is happy.

Cable companies make their money selling TV, internet and in some cases phone service. If they lose enough revenue from Netflix, Hulu, etc and people start using more bandwidth, they are going to raise their rates, just like the cell companies. Apple cannot get content into your home without using a third party provider. And those ISP's aren't going to lose TV revenue and keep their their internet rates the same. As soon as the financial hit gets to be too much, your rates are going to go up. Apple is not in the drivers seat here.

----------

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/23/5...urnal-confirms-multiyear-traffic-deal-between
I think your logic is flawed. You as an individual paid for a certain speed. That is in the contract. Comcast cant then start throttling your speed because you watch tv less. Look what happened to ATT.

----------

The reason Comcast is so eager to make this deal is that with each passing day, the ideal of "a la carte cable" is coming closer to reality in the form of streaming set-top box channels and other varieties of internet-based HD video. Cord cutting is real, and they're making a last-ditch effort to keep people tied to a decades-old distribution model. This is why cable companies are fighting net-neutrality so hard. We want internet service to be a utility like electricity or old phone service — they want to be the gatekeepers to content they sell us access to.

Comcast shouldnt get to double charge just because they are comcast...that cost is coming back to the consumers dont be fooled.

----------

Apple should purchase TWC and improve that network.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Vzn put stuff on those androids that make it virtually impossible to get the latest updates to the OS even when they are security updates. Apples terms were not ridiculous. VZN caved and got the iPhone anyway because it was losing subscribers to ATT.

Do you recall the first generation iphone? Retail pricing was higher. They didn't have subsidized terms. Later on when Apple and the carriers moved to a subsidized model, Verizon eventually came on board. Unlike Sprint they seem to be doing well with the deal. Why do you assume they caved on something when it seems like the least likely scenario?

Apple should purchase TWC and improve that network.

That goes completely against their area of expertise in that it's a different kind of infrastructure. Also why would you want to see any company the size of Apple take on that amount of bloat? I'm willing to link case studies on mergers of similar scale or as close as I can find after weeding out dead links in my bookmarks. These things do not result in stronger companies, and Apple would not be immune to that. Haven't you noticed they avoid buying the really big companies?

Cigsm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
To the people who keep saying they want a la carte pricing - no, you don't.

A la carte pricing would be at HBO -like prices, which retail for $20 per month. Even with a 50% off sale, 10 channels is $100 bucks, aka pretty darn close to what you're paying now.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Another step closer towards the ideal of having a box, with content, and only paying for what you watch.

I'll happily pay for content, and still sit through ads if need be, but for goodness sake, I shouldn't have to pay for a 'Sport Channels Package' containing several channels, just so I can watch one football game.

----------

A la carte pricing would be at HBO -like prices, which retail for $20 per month. Even with a 50% off sale, 10 channels is $100 bucks, aka pretty darn close to what you're paying now.

Take it a step further: Only pay for programs you want and do away with live broadcast almost entirely.

You pay for Fox and can click on and watch Family Guy as soon as it becomes available.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
unless you watch very little TV you are just going to nickel and dime yourself until you spend just as much on all the different services

Not at all. Only true if you HAVE to see the newest show today. Wait a bit and you get it for your $8 netflix subscription.

woodbine

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
Any new ATV will need a much more comprehensive remote. Maybe two, one simple with ATV and another interactive supplied separate.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apple you should be talking with Amazon to get Amazon Prime and also talk with Charter Communications to allow us to access HBO Go for **** sakes.

Better idea Apple talk to major studios and start your own streaming service.

It makes zero sense that you can access HBO GO on your iphone and ipad with charter but not appleTV.

----------

I kind of agree with this. HBO/Showtime and a few major networks and you are already priced higher than cable. Most of the cable companies will keep you at promo prices forever since you do not have to sign a contract. I pay $120 for internet and TV, which includes HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/NFL network/REDZONE.

I am pretty sure I could not make out cheaper in an a la carte deal.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I think this story is BS. Why would Comcast need to get in bed with Apple? They certainly don't need Apple to design a set top box/DVR for them. They already have the X1 platform.

http://www.comcast.com/x1/?CMP=KNC-...6-t-pkw-xfinity x1-pmt-e&iq_id=59904971&NUM=2

I still think the new Apple TV will have a redesigned interface, an App Store and gaming. But I have my doubts it will usher in ala carte pricing or cord cutting. The TV industry isn't in the same place the music industry was back in the early 2000s.

----------

I could never be without live programming so a la carte probably wouldn't work for me. I can't see ESPN or the big 4 networks going that route.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
you guys have to pay so much for cable in the US omg.

I got 100mbit/s unlimited internet inclusive landline (i dont use) for 29€ a month and cable hd tv premium package (the most channels available) incl dvr for 19€ a month

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I think this story is BS. Why would Comcast need to get in bed with Apple?

Probably for the same reason they got into bed with Netflix by letting them buy preferential speed on Comcast's pipe. Comcast doesn't "need" Netflix either, but money is money, and if you can't beat 'em, co-opt them, right?

Apple is a brand with lots of consumer good will. Comcast not so much. That is why Comcast would want to sleep with Apple. It's like when an less than avg guy in high school starts dating a cute cheerleader. All the sudden that guy is a stud and everyone wants to friend him.

And of course, Apple needs Comcast b/c Apple needs to look like its not a threat to Big Cable or OTA networks, not to mention Comcast has a great infrastructure due to sheer size, which Apple lacks.

----------

you guys have to pay so much for cable in the US omg.

I got 100mbit/s unlimited internet inclusive landline (i dont use) for 29€ a month and cable hd tv premium package (the most channels available) incl dvr for 19€ a month

Right, but you guys pay so much for food, clothes, and just about everything else. My eyes pop everytime I travel overseas. A BMW in the US cost (a lot) less than the same BMW in Germany!

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
It's right in the OP? Apple made a deal with Cingular for iphone exclusivity, leaving Verizon out... AT&T bought Cingular...

Apple has been reportedly working on this with Time Warner Cable as their first partner, from initial rumors.... Comcast is buying TWC. Verizon bring left out a second time....... This time FiOS being the service skipped. Just was a little bit of history repeating itself if this is true, is what was being driven at...

Cingular/SBC bought At&t actually and then rebranded themselves as The New At&t back in the early/mid 2000s, this happened well before the iPhone existed.

----------

I think this story is BS. Why would Comcast need to get in bed with Apple? They certainly don't need Apple to design a set top box/DVR for them. They already have the X1 platform.

Because it's another revenue stream and they don't need to do as much work. Also gets them more subscribers who are currently cord cutters for a pipeline that already exists.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Apple wants a piece of the tv pie, just like the music industry. Doubt it will happen. Apple gutted the music industry and the cable companies don't want apple to do the same thing to them. I could see an icon for comcast to click on for a subscription but thats about it. No one wants to get burned like the music industry did by apple. Don't blame them either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.