Apple in the Enterprise: Can You Make a Living?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by RedMacMan, Feb 4, 2004.

1. RedMacMan macrumors member

I work as a corporate IT/business consultant. I absolutely ABHOR windows. Obviously this generates a significant amount of distress in my daily tasks as pretty much all my company's clients are big corporate types which use 100% windows. I find myself using any excuse posisble to use my Powerbook at work, but for some things this just isn't possible.

My ideal job would be to do something similar to what I do now, but be able to work exclusively on a mac and in a mac environment - i.e. Xserve production environment, macs on the desktop, etc. Does anyone know if such a 'dream job' is actually possible or feasible in today's marketplace? My powerbook & OS X are so superior is just about every way it still amazes me every day. I'd love to be able to ditch the Dell for good...

"Dude, you're ditching your Dell." :D

2. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

Not without getting very creative and running lots of virtual PC could you ever get by in the real world doing any kind of IT work, I'm sorry to say. I am cursed with a rather large PC laptop which I use for my job, as you'd be suprised how often you run in to things you NEED a PC for.

And I think you'd have a very hard sell on your hands to get anyone to switch over to a pure Apple work envionment, and honestly, I doubt if such a place exists anywhere outside of Pixar, or the Apple HQ.

3. d-fi macrumors member

4. m4rc macrumors 6502

I run an I.T Solutions company, and within the office we only use Macs. We are not very large - 20 office based staff, 4 techs on the road. The Techs, 2 have PowerBooks running VPC, one only works on Apple system, the other is cross platform. The other 2 Techs have AlienWare PC Laptops. Other than that if we need to use a PC, we use VPC, but thats rare.

It's not a refusal to use MS or PC's, we enjoy Macs, and they work well for us. Our designers use them, our admin use them, we are all connected to an xServe, and we have less hassle than a PC network would have given us. There are some apps 'missing' that we wanted to use, but we can compromise for the sake of stability. And clients like the PowerBooks in their PC environments, they can't believe we can work cross platform.