Apple in the media

Discussion in 'Community' started by wwidgirl, Jan 13, 2005.

1. wwidgirl macrumors member

wwidgirl

So.... what's up with Macs all over the media? It seems like whenever there's a computer on tv or in a movie it's a beautiful Mac. And I also see ipods on all kinds of tv shows and movies. Who's Mac paying for all this exposure and how much are they paying????

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

People bring up this topic from time to time.

Often the set designers or props people will place Macs in the foreground or background for two reasons. One is that Macs -- as everybody knows -- are the coolest-looking computers around. The other is that the Hollywood community, being both smart and trendy, just loves Macs.

I'm not saying Apple never pays for product placement, but most of the time they just don't have to.

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

Victor Hugo, 'Histoire d'un crime,' 1852
    French dramatist, novelist, & poet (1802 - 1885)

4. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Apple's not paying anything, at least not as far as I know.

But let's face it, if you were the person in charge of such things - set designer, location manager etc - would you rather use an ugly generic looking PC as a prop, or any Apple product, which, regardless of the product, always looks so cool???

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I agree that they shouldn't be paying for their exposure in the media, (TV programs and movies, especially) ... I have taken some pics for a brochure of my company and of course had to place my iBook in the middle of my desk, it looks awesome, under my desk I have 2 dells and I removed them for the photos. ;)

6. wwidgirl thread starter macrumors member

wwidgirl

thing is.....

why do they sometimes put a big fat sticker over the apple on powerbooks????

7. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

so they dont have to pay apple to have the product there or obtain permission to use it. basically at that point it becomes a generic laptop/desktop.

8. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Apple is one of the few companies that does not pay for this sort of advertising - TV show art directors and set designers preffer Macs because they look cool and speak volumes about the characters.

9. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

For the same reason they sometimes black out the name of famous brand camera.

As a photography buff, it always annoyed me when they did that. Although it was mostly done in TV movies and shows, they probably felt that everybody else is paying for product placement, so if they need to use a camera/laptop etc as a prop, why give them free exposure?!?!??

Pathetic I know, but all they care about is the bottom line $$$$$$

10. wwidgirl thread starter macrumors member

wwidgirl

I'm ambivilent about the whole "mac on tv" thing but it's just so odd to have such an extremely disproportionate amount of macs in the media. Mac has such a small percentage of the desktop/laptop market but virtually every desktop/laptop i see in movies or on tv is a mac. I thought for sure they were paying for the privilege but now I'm not so sure. Especially with the blocking out of the logo by stickers (ie the tv shows Joey and Boston Legal).

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hey, don't knock it. Would you rather be seeing lots of bland or garish Wintel boxes?

12. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

On the last Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, the fab five gave a 15" and 12" PB to a US Soldier and his wife just before he was about to be deployed... Figures they'd have good taste in laptops. ;)

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's probably not that disproportionate when you look at the number of Macs in the advertising and movie industries. The art directors may never have seen a PC! ;)

14. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Well, they seem to have good taste in everything else.... ;)

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

New on Bravo: Mac Eye for the Wintel Guy!

16. 3Memos macrumors 6502

DodgeBall movie showed Ben Stiller using a PowerBook. That movie is hilarious, go check it out. :)

17. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

:D That was really really funny... It'd be a major shock at first, but then they'd realize they were much better off.

The show would be 10x better than "Queer Eye for the Straight Girl" :rolleyes:

18. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Heres a question for ya that I happened to notice over the past few weeks.

CSI (the one in Vegas) never covers up the Apple logo, but all the other CSI's (Miami & New York) cover them up. Discuss.

19. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Apple is everywhere! No need for commercials.

20. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

21. indifference macrumors regular

I like macs but the thing is it's funny that when you go into best buy etc they have hardly any apple products so I want to get a new DVD player for my comptuer becasue I don't watch TV, and they don't have any. I have to find something that will play DVDR. I like to joke about this with the PC people, when they try and blame apple if someone likes it, when it's really a problem with a printer.