Apple Infomercial? Steve on QVC???

Discussion in 'Community' started by zelmo, Dec 7, 2004.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I often wonder (yep, still waiting on that life...any day now) why Apple doesn't do more to promote their wonderful operating system and h/w products? Virtually every Apple ad these days is for some flavor of iPod. Sure, you got a few iMac G5 ads when they were released, and there were even a few PowerMac "supercomputer" ads back in the day, but other than adverts in Mac magazines, where do you see ads for Macs? No TV spots, no radio, damn few print ads. Why?

The other evening my wife was watching some home shopping channel or other, and as I listened to the spiels, I started to imagine Steve and Phil appearing on QVC or HSN, gushing over the wonders of OS X and the iMac line. While this is initially a very (very) silly idea, it started to grow on me. If Apple wanted to grow market share , there's a captive audience of folks who are watching with an intent to purchase. There are a lot of folks who have never seen the usual iLife schtick. That stuff sells computers.

I know I'm rambling, and I'm kind of embarrassed to be writing this post, but darn it, Apple sometimes seems like a bunch of elitist lords who sit back in their tower expecting people to come running to them to buy thier products. "Oh please, Steve, let me purchase an iMac. I'm truly deserving." I say, go out and get 'em. If Christie Brinkley can sell a Total Gym, why can't Apple do their own infomercial to present their products to a wide audience of people who have not really been exposed to them, and who are ready and willing to buy something cool they saw on the telly?

I'm going to take my meds now.....

2. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Apple has pretty much officially given up on marketshare, at least publicly. I forget which exec basically said that during a conference call or in a press release, but I remember it being said. So while any marketshare increase would be nice, they're not specifically directing their marketing efforts towards that.

That said, I think your idea is an exceedingly good one. My mom used to watch a LOT of QVC, and the people on there could sell ice cubes to Eskimos. Not only that, but the combination of actually being able to demonstrate iLife on TV with Steve's Reality Distortion Field would most likely be very very effective. Especially given that QVC has taught me that there are some people who will buy pretty much anything, if someone on TV talks it up enough.

If there were any negatives in it for Apple at all, it would be that appearing on QVC might be percieved by some as slumming it (even more so on HSN).

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah, you're making the assumption that Apple wants to grow and increase marketshare. They seem, with a few exceptions, very happy being a luxury brand. Think of Mercedes going on HVC to sell their cars... Is it really worth it, to tarnish the elegance of the machine?

but i know where you're coming from, it's endlessly frustrating to see Apple avoid any method of reaching new users... because the PC world sure the hell wants Mac users. hmm.

paul

4. raynegus macrumors regular

Yeah I remember Steve saying a few years ago that the OS wars were over and microsoft won a long time ago.

He said Apple makes the best personal comnputers in the world and compared it to Mercedes. He said "What's wrong with being the Mercedes of personal computers?"

I regularly try to convert PC users, but we have to remember that if Apple goes to 15 or 20% market share, we will see more virus targeting our beloved Macs. Now really is a wonderful time to have a Mac, but only for a select few.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You know, that's not a bad idea. But it's Apple, so rather than buying time on QVC, they should buy time on Bravo or HGTV. Same principle, more upscale market.

6. brap macrumors 68000

Apple advertisements on National Geographic and Discovery; now that could be a winner...

7. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

While looking through a Pottery Barn magazine, I saw that every computer on their desks was a Mac. I even counted: 2 PM G4's each with 2 23" previous generation Apple Cinema Displays and an iMac G4 with wireless keyboard and mouse. So, unintentionally, Apple is getting publicity. However, I don't think that a PC user would switch based on it. I would like to see Apple advertise a little more.

JOD8FY

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Yet M-B seems to try to pander to every market. Or at least those above the $25K. If the A or B series comes to the state at under $25K, then M-B has gone mass market. Add to that the smart cars tha M-b is builod and bringing to the US. That meets the under $20K range perhaps.

What amazes me as a "marketing person" is that Apple is able to have the market-share on the computer side that they do. Of late it seems that the iPod is what is driving the business.

9. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

That and don't forget in TV land it seems Apple controls about 90% of the market share.

That TVland is crazy!

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For those of us that know Apple, we see and know it when we see it on TV. But for the other 80 to 90% of the population that uses Windows; do they see it and know it?

As much as I hate infomercials, this may be the best way for Apple to gain greater acceptance of the platform. Look at Bose and SonicAire.

11. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

How often do You see a Harley-Davidson ad? They dont have to tell people they are the best.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

H-D and Apple are not in the same league IMO. Apple is much more mass market, Apple is dealing more in the "commodity" market. I don't look at motorcycles in the same way.

13. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

It is pretty much the same for many store catalogs. Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, etc. You'll always see Macs in the background when the store is trying to imply some latent slickness. I never noticed the Mac presence until I bought a powerbook in December '02.

14. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Pretty poor analogy. Do Harley's use a different type of gas than other motorcycles?

15. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

IIRC, Apple did infomercials back in the day for their Performa line. I think an informercial would be an excellent way to really show the Mac vs. a Windows PC to the masses. Imagine a 30 minute show where you could see taking it out of the box, getting on the Internet, iLife in action, Word and Excel running and sharing files with a PC, accessing a corporate network, all the software and hardware available. Talk about a forum to dispel the myths about Macs.

16. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i dont think its the best analogy, but its not bad. harley doesnt need to remind people in every ad that they are an american bike with history and a reasonably proud heritage (wont mention the bikes of the late 70's to early 80's, terrible to maintain). harley certainly uses different parts and such than other more mass produced bikes, so i think it fits to an extent.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I can see the point. Yet with Apple they need to broaden their appeal, otherwise their computers will become something that few can afford. IMO it would be great for Apple to double their computer market share.

18. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

On second thought, I think Apple ought to buy the entire block of air time for the Super Bowl halftime show, and let Steve work his RDF magic on an unsuspecting public. In a warped homage to the original 1984 commercial, Steve is up on the big screen, and Phil could run out in some orange track shorts and throw iPod micro's at him. :p

If Apple could double their share, they would be a much more viable option for smaller s/w companies, and still not be that huge a target for virus writers.

19. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

I also wish, here in the Uk, that there was more advertising for the Apple Hardware. The U.K is a very rich country and often goes for the more quality version rather than the cheapo, Apple could do a lot with Tv adverts.
    I do see mag advertisements for the imac but no one really knows about Mac and the superior OS, i remember seeing the imac G4 advert on the tv, the one with the imac moving round in the shop window, and i was astounded and if there was a bit more info then i probably would have switched along time ago or at least convinced the family too. A little 360 of the imac, a quick ipod relation, a quick ilife flash and showing the compatability would do wonders. The major major problem, as we all know, is that the public are ignorant and think everything is about Ghz.
    I love to see Apple doing well, in whatever area, and i have convinced a lot of my friends to buy powerbooks and imac's but i wouldn't really want the market share to rise above 10%. That is enough for even more software/games to be made4mac (even though loads are already made) and perhaps a more diverse range of Macs to be made, for example a budget powermac would be nice. Also at that 10% there shouldn't be too many hackers targeting the Mac market.

20. Noiseboy macrumors regular

21. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Yet I see tons of ads for BMW and Mercedes.

22. Mainyehc macrumors 6502

Mainyehc

I think that this has nothing to do with Apple playing superior, or considering Macs as luxury items or whatever. Heck, what could go wrong if Apple had some 5% marketshare?? Macs still wouldn't be as ubiquitous as the iPod, so no problem with that "luxury" crap (Macs are "preety", superb quality PCs. Apart from that and the PowerPC processor, hardware-wise, they aren't that much different from the Wintel world, and we all know that - there still aren't there any Macs with Dual Layer DVD burners, most models still come with outdated GPUs like the FX5200 Ultra and a measly 256MB of RAM, just to point a few gripes I have with Apple's offerings).

[edit: As decksnap said, I was wrong about Dual Layer DVD burners; they are avaliable, but disguised, and can actually burn 8GB DVDs up to 16x!! You just have to, er, flash their firmware with a PC... from HardMac:
    http://www.hardmac.com/article.php?id=44
    I'm shocked. They think Apple didn't introduce them with their full potential because of iLife compatibility. This is just plain stupid either way... Apple shouldn't cripple hardware like that. I can understand why they make some processor underclockings and stuff (heat/supply issues, consumer and pro lines conflicting, etc.), but the DVD burner??? PowerMacs are already the top of the range, so the only sales they can cannibalize are high-end PCs... :rolleyes:]

So, all issues taken into account, the Apple philosophy is not that much about luxury, it's mostly about a rarely seen passion for good quality design. I think Apple is somewhere between IKEA and Bang & Olufsen, which of course makes it very hard to draw a line between "luxury items" and "Products for the Rest of Us"...

Those who "Think Elitist" could keep thinking that way and in the future buy the fastest Macs available at fair prices, while we "regular" people could buy iMacs and eMacs at even more affordable prices, probably no viruses would be written for Mac OS X anyway, and everyone would be happy because there would be a lot more software and games avaliable for the Mac.

Apple knows this. Apple MUST know this better than us! But right now they have some supply issues with *cough* the G5, wich is produced *cough* by IBM... Honestly, do you think if Apple's distribution channel worked as smoothly as the competition's, they wouldn't advertise the Mac platform as hell?

The incredibly successful iPod has contributed a lot for Apple-awareness in the past few months, Windows is being rendered unusable by spyware, adware and malware in general, Longhorn is very late, so why isn't Apple taking this chance to get themselves some marketshare? Because they CAN'T!! Imagine the massive backorders and loooong shipping times if they did a Mac advertising campaign as great as the silhouette ads... *Ouch*! Remember the iPod mini, the PowerMac G5, and now, the iMac G5!!

23. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

I see Macs featured in a lot of Hollywood movies, usually in elegant offices or consumer machines in home settings.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hmm i fail to see how apple is comapreable with mercedes benz or even BMW

mercedes sells vehicles from the 2 seater smart over the S 600 to the 40 ton truck (who is the best selling truck in central europe btw.)
    and they have a 10+% here

and as said before they have no problem with advertising

not even talking about "mindshare"

25. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Did you see that Hardmac thing about taking apart the iMac G5 and discovering that the DVD burner is in fact a crippled 16x dual layer burner? I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this.