Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
I have had some more instances of scrambled screen lately, but not entire screen (had a few in the past) I will say two things though.

One, the switching between IGPU and DGPU seems to take longer, the popup bubble appears, hangs there, the I changes to D, etc., and back again.

And now that I have upgraded to yosemite, I get these total freeze, BLACK screen hard reboots which I never really had before. and they are happening every other day.

Does this seem to be GPU related? I have the mid-late 2012 machine rMBP and could be covered under warranty.. but don't want to lose my sammy screen (originally swapped out machines that were poor LG)

Impossible to tell if the crashes are GPU related.

However, don't worry about the screen chances are new screens are going to be a lot better than the original 2012 screens (which had all sorts of issues, they were the first retina laptop screens on the market). These are no longer the same screens.

I have no complaints with my new screen though honestly I didn't check it in detail either. A friend of mine had his screen replaced 7 times on the original 2012 rMBP... both Samsung and LG had their issues back then. New screens are better.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I took it into the store, when I took it in they ran the diagnostics on it, and it mis-thought that the user cancelled the test, so they sent it in to the repair depo.

This exact scenario happened to my early 2013 rMBP a few weeks ago when I went into the store however they did not do anything regarding the random reboot issue. They did replace the screen as the coating was coming off aka "Staingnate". I have continued to experience random reboots and a new issue has cropped up whereby the machine will shutdown and indicate there is no battery left even though there is ~ 30% left. A quick connection/disconnection to the power port allows me to boot back into the machine.

I went onto the Apple support online chat and they initiated a screen sharing session with me. Looked through the panic logs etc. After thoroughly documenting the case they advised that they want me to bring the machine into the store for repair under the following program:

https://www.apple.com/ca/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Hopefully this sorts out my problem.

Reactions: bumblebritches5

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
This exact scenario happened to my early 2013 rMBP a few weeks ago when I went into the store however they did not do anything regarding the random reboot issue. They did replace the screen as the coating was coming off aka "Staingnate". I have continued to experience random reboots and a new issue has cropped up whereby the machine will shutdown and indicate there is no battery left even though there is ~ 30% left. A quick connection/disconnection to the power port allows me to boot back into the machine.

I went onto the Apple support online chat and they initiated a screen sharing session with me. Looked through the panic logs etc. After thoroughly documenting the case they advised that they want me to bring the machine into the store for repair under the following program:

https://www.apple.com/ca/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Hopefully this sorts out my problem.

Good luck dude. any idea why it would randomly detect the user canceling the test? that's so weird.

heartmonga

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
I had this issue almost 2 years ago on my Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15". My screen got white lines. I was able to reboot a few times and got the lines but it quickly got to the point where it wouldn't boot past the gray/white screen. A few months ago my charger broke from the frayed wires and I got a cheap $20 one to replace it. It worked for a while but then my Macbook started to shut off relatively quickly and randomly. That charger died shortly after so I bought a $40 "official" (I don't know if it's official or not) for my model but the charger would heat up a lot. I was also taking it to work and leaving it in my car for a few hours at a time. I thought the random shut-downs were due to those. Then I started getting the vertical lines and my computer wouldn't boot past the Apple Logo and knew it the Logic Board/GPU problem like before. I was bummed because my Apple Care expired (I'm guessing back in January) which was frustrating because I knew it was a known problem that was caused by Apple's manufacturing as opposed to anything specifically that I did.

I dropped it off at the Apple Store and it did fail the test (I think that's the only time I've been happy to fail a test). I had replaced my HDD with an SSD and I read that I was supposed to have the original hard drive in. Unfortunately I couldn't remember if I had backed up my old hard drive or my new one on my external hard drive (I didn't clone it because my SSD was smaller than what I had on my HDD). I had to pay $99 and bring in a blank hard drive for them to back up my data. I thought that was odd since I don't remember them wiping out my hard drive but I figured it was better to be safe. I dropped off the hard drive Monday so I was hoping I'd have it back today but I haven't heard from them. I have two repair IDs, one for the back-up and one for the logic board/GPU fix. One is done but the other says "Shipment to Repair Center Pending." Sounds like I'll have to wait a couple more days for that.

Also, when I asked the Genius if I was going to keep having this problem every two years she said "Was the last time you brought it in before 2013?" which it was the end of 2013. She said that they've changed manufacturers of the GPU since then and that this should fix it for good. I'm hoping that she's right but after reading several posts I shouldn't hold my breath. I just hope if it fails again it does it before the program ends. Maybe by the 3rd time I can try and convince them that I need a replacement. I haven't exactly wanted a replacement because the SDD and RAM aren't user-replaceable and there's no optical drive but I wouldn't mind a new one for the Retina Screen and/or the new warranty.

s.carlo

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2015
Hi everybody,

My Macbook Pro 15" Early 2011 has been hit by Radeongate (black screen), I immediately brough it to the Apple Store and they told me I could have it repaired for free, since Apple itself has recognized this defect on its notebooks even out of warranty. It seemed everything perfect, but now they called me saying that they cannot repair it anymore because I've replaced my original battery few months ago. This is true, but I replaced it when the Macbook was already out of warranty, and at that time I couldn't know about the defect on my notebook. What can I do? Are they right or should I insist?
Thank you in advance for your answers.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Aannddddd my late 2011 macbook just got fried by this radeongate ****,
I'm always in denial that my macbook should be fine because I've got adequate cooling for my mac, and then it hit me which is sucks.... I'm gonna go the apple authorised service center tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:

heartmonga

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
Update: Got my Macbook back. After I got them the external hard drive so they could back it up, it ended up being more like 6 days. I asked again if this was going to be a new logic board or if it were a refurbished logic board and this person said it was a completely new logic board so here's hoping they are telling the truth and not just what they think or what they're told to say.

The sheet said that they replaced the RAM as well due to bad RAM. I had 10gbs (an 8gb and a 2gb with the intention to eventually put another 8gb card in the other slot) but they gave me 2 4gb RAMs. At first I thought that they shorted me out on 2gbs of RAM but it turns out I got 2 extra gbs of RAM since they returned my 8 gb RAM separately. Apparently they couldn't put it back in because it was a 3rd party RAM. I also got 1/2 off the data backup because I had to wait about 15-20 mins to pick up my Macbook so that was a pleasant surprise.

After I replaced my SSD and put my RAM back in, I booted it up. It was stuck on the white screen for a minute but then the Apple Logo appeared and it booted up normally and everything seemed to work well again. I just hope that I don't run into this problem again (especially after the program ends).

blueridge

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Western NC
i have been having the same issues as everyone else.. i want to send my MBP in to be repaired but after reading some of the comments.. should I remove my SSD and put the original hard drive back in place before I send it in to be repaired.. does anyone know what tests they run to see if your GPU is failing?

heartmonga

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
i have been having the same issues as everyone else.. i want to send my MBP in to be repaired but after reading some of the comments.. should I remove my SSD and put the original hard drive back in place before I send it in to be repaired.. does anyone know what tests they run to see if your GPU is failing?

I read that you should have your original hard drive in but that the RAM didn't matter but I forget what the rationale was. I put in the original just in case before taking it in.

As for the test, it's a VST test. Mine failed immediately (maybe because the GPU was that dead) but apparently others were able to get repairs if they could provide screenshots or videos or somehow show the Apple Rep that it was having the issues despite passing the test.

Reactions: blueridge

blueridge

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Western NC
I read that you should have your original hard drive in but that the RAM didn't matter but I forget what the rationale was. I put in the original just in case before taking it in.

As for the test, it's a VST test. Mine failed immediately (maybe because the GPU was that dead) but apparently others were able to get repairs if they could provide screenshots or videos or somehow show the Apple Rep that it was having the issues despite passing the test.

Thanks.. I just removed my optibay which had the orig hard drive in it.. im going to back that up and then remove my SSD before i call..

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Got mine repaired last week. Happy it was ready for next day pickup despite being told it'd take 5-7 days. They plugged it into a ethernet port on one of the tables, did a network boot to some diagnostic utility which tested every component, then a separate more intense GPU test which confirmed mine had failed.

I stuck in 2GB of RAM and an old 160GB hard drive as I had upgraded both myself and was concerned they might stick in stock stuff or replace the machine.

I experienced a slight hint of the issue (again!) when using a virtual machine (via VMware Fusion), but apart from that all seems well. Not sure how long they are going to keep this programme running for the 2011 MacBook Pro's as I fear mine will fail again soon..

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I was trying to get a 2012 rMBP checked since all I have been having lately are constant reboots -and notably when the GPU is activating. But, the unit failed the tests that they threw at it. I have a ticket now to bring it in and have more internal review done to see if there is some internal problem that could be causing it, but that doesn't show up on the official tests. I hate having a machine that isn't working right and for what appears to be an internal either logic or DGPU problem - and should be fixed, but I get it it has to be able to predictably show the behaviour.

Unfortunately, it's my only DD at the moment so will have to find a time to get it back to them to drop off

jbtaco2002

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2015
Hey all, i took my 2011 mbp in yesterday for this, failed the video test of course. I had 16gb ram, replaced the battery myself a year or so ago and a 240gb ssd in. They seemed to show no concern about that so i wonder why a previous post reported they were having problems with getting the repair done... anyhow 3 to 5 days should have it back, I'll post a response then. Good luck al!

JB

blueridge

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Western NC
ok for those of you who had yours repaired.. does it use the Intel GPU more or does it use the ATI one? also is there a way to check to see which GPU is running at a particular time?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
ok for those of you who had yours repaired.. does it use the Intel GPU more or does it use the ATI one? also is there a way to check to see which GPU is running at a particular time?

It depends what you're doing - Apple hasn't tweaked which GPU to use, and no reason they should.

gfxCardStatus will show which one is in use: https://gfx.io

dyusem

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
Bainbridge Island, WA
I took one of my late 2011 MBP's in yesterday to the Genius Bar and as expected, it failed as per the following:

- I observed the issue in a known good OS.
- All components passed MRI. Third party RAM.
- VST failed.

Warranty service as per the "quality program" with 3-5 day turn.

My wife is still working her late 2011 hard but with no crashes to date, although the fan is beginning to run frequently, which was the same behavior mine exhibited.

Wondering if there is an end date to the program...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Wondering if there is an end date to the program...
It's right in Apple's document: The program covers affected MacBook Pro models until February 27, 2016 or three years from its original date of sale, whichever provides longer coverage for you.

Reactions: dyusem

dyusem

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
Bainbridge Island, WA
It's right in Apple's document: The program covers affected MacBook Pro models until February 27, 2016 or three years from its original date of sale, whichever provides longer coverage for you.

Many thanks! I thought that I saw it somewhere...

Update: it looks like the turnaround for the repair was just 2 days and the MBP has been fixed and is back at the Apple store...that was quick...looking forward to seeing exactly what was replaced...

dyusem

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
Bainbridge Island, WA
Many thanks! I thought that I saw it somewhere...

Update: it looks like the turnaround for the repair was just 2 days and the MBP has been fixed and is back at the Apple store...that was quick...looking forward to seeing exactly what was replaced...

Update: the logic board was replaced and it looks like they swapped out the 2x4GB memory sticks with 2x2GB modules and noted that the non-Apple memory had "issues".

Should I just assume that for testing purposes, the tech installed the Apple memory and the non-Apple memory should properly function as it did prior to the repair?

blueridge

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Western NC
Update: the logic board was replaced and it looks like they swapped out the 2x4GB memory sticks with 2x2GB modules and noted that the non-Apple memory had "issues".

Should I just assume that for testing purposes, the tech installed the Apple memory and the non-Apple memory should properly function as it did prior to the repair?

i took mine to apple store.. they ran initial tests and it passed.. then did the VST and it passed.. they told me they would hold my macbook pro and do more tests and if it failed or if i could send in pics of it failing they would send to be repaired.. I never got any email stating if it passed or failed but FedEX dropped it off today.. they replaced the logical board and they also removed my memory and put 2x2GB sticks in.. it said the same thing.. non-Apple memory had booting issues. I dunno what that means.. i've used that same 16GB for years w/no problems in fact I did memory tests before I took it to Apple.. I have to reinstall my SSD but i wanted to know if there is any tests I should run now that I have it back.. I want to know if this thing is going to run like it was designed to do or is it going to fail again.. i hate having to restart projects when it freezes or restarts on its own like it was doing..

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Took my late 2011 17" MBP to Apple Store 4/5mths ago & prayed it would fail graphics test (after being stuck in a cupboard for a year) it did thankfully, new logic board FOC, noticed on MBP this w/e pink horizontal lines, not good, here we go again!:(

xxtra

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Dropped off my early 2011 15" MBP today. It failed the VST. I was told it would take 5 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.